Caught by Harlan Coben

Caught (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Harlan Coben

Member:Samqua
Title:Caught
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Dutton Adult (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

Caught by Harlan Coben (2010)

English (90)  Dutch (4)  All languages (94)
I had to read this for a Reader's Advisory seminar, and I must say that these cookie cutter, gimmick filled, cornball "thrillers" are really about as close to literature as an earthworm is to a fresh Maine lobster.

Hard working single mother, NRA right winger with a heart of gold, rumpled detective, all the cliches are here...some call it literature, I guess. ( )
  librarylord99 | Aug 17, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Reporter Wendy Tynes is making a name for herself, bringing down sexual offenders on nationally-televised sting operations. But when social worker Dan Mercer walks into her trap, and is tied to the disappearance of a seventeen-year-old New Jersey girl, the shocking consequences will have Wendy doubting her instincts about the motives of the people around her.

My Thoughts:

As with most of Harlan Coben's books, he never takes the obvious choice in his books. In Caught, just when you think you see where the stories are going, something gets thrown in the mix that changes your views. What could have been a book about sexual predators turns into something much more...an examination of the cost of holding grudges and modern parenting. He creates characters that we can easily identify with and come to care about. Each one is thrown into situations that could be easily ripped straight from today's local or national news. The storytelling is solid and the mystery keeps you guessing until the very end and I can almost guarantee your guesses will be wrong. But, hey...that's the fun in a good mystery and this one is one of the best.
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
'Caught' was only my second Harlan Coban novel but I am sure it will not be my last. What appeared to commence as a story revolving around pedophiles turned into an enthralling mystery story with the usual twist. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
I read this for a group discussion and it had us all guessing right to the end. The characters are well developed and seem like true-to-life people. The plot is excellent with many twists and turns and the ending is very surprising. I'm looking forward to reading more of Coben's books in the near future.
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
TV Tabloid reporter Wendy Tynes is on a mission to identify and bring down sexual predators via televised sting operations. Her latest target is a social worker known as a friend to troubled teens.
Meanwhile, a seventeen-year-old girl disappears. Her family hears nothing for three months and now everyone assumes the worst. As a community struggles to cope with the loss of the missing girl, and the predator who may have taken her, Wendy realizes she can’t trust her own instincts or the motives of the people around her.

The story also has a fascinating and realistically flawed heroine in Wendy Tynes. I started off really disliking her only to find myself sympathetic as the story progressed. Wendy’s determination to find out the real truth about what’s been going on, even to the point where it puts her own career in doubt, is admirable, and she certainly needs every ounce of that determination when faced with the twists and turns of the complex plot.

I don't often read Harlan Coben and I'm not sure why. I'll definitely make sure I read more in the future.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
The following list of shockeroos does not amount to a spoiler, because you cannot possibly guess how “Caught” cobbles all of these together: a pedophile, an investigative reporter, an embezzling scheme, a drunken driver, a college boys’ conspiracy, a television show judge, a case of mistaken identity on the Internet, a disappearing corpse, a kneecap shooting, a dead hooker and a GPS. Half as many gimmicks and twice as much authorial forethought would have made for vast improvements.

Harlan Cobenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Busk, SisselOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jansen in de Wal, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kwisinski, GunnarÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MacDuffie, CarringtonReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pock-Steen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welch, Christopher EvanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anne

From the luckiest guy in the world
I knew opening that red door would destroy my life.

From the #1 New York Times bestselling master of suspense comes a fast-paced, emotion-packed novel about guilt, grief, and our capacity to forgive

17-year-old Haley McWaid is a good girl, the pride of her suburban New Jersey family, captain of the lacrosse team, headed off to college next year with all the hopes and dreams her doting parents can pin on her. Which is why, when her mother wakes one morning to find that Haley never came home the night before, and three months quickly pass without word from the girl, the community assumes the worst.

Wendy Tynes is a reporter on a mission, to identify and bring down sexual predators via elaborate-and nationally televised-sting operations. Working with local police on her news program Caught in the Act, Wendy and her team have publicly shamed dozens of men by the time she encounters her latest target. Dan Mercer is a social worker known as a friend to troubled teens, but his story soon becomes more complicated than Wendy could have imagined.

In a novel that challenges as much as it thrills, filled with the astonishing tension and unseen suburban machinations that have become Coben's trademark, Caught tells the story of a missing girl, the community stunned by her loss, the predator who may have taken her, and the reporter who suddenly realizes she can't trust her own instincts about this story-or the motives of the people around her.

Dan Mercer stands accused of being a sexual predator thanks to the ambush journalism of Wendy Tynes, a tabloid TV reporter, who must cope with her husband's death caused by a drunken driver as well as reckon with the possibility of Mercer's innocence. When Tynes finds a link between a father of one of Mercer's alleged victims and others felled by scandal, she could become a killer's next victim.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,346,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible