Caught by Harlan Coben

Caught (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Harlan Coben

Member:Samqua
Title:Caught
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Dutton Adult (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

Caught by Harlan Coben (2010)

English (88)  Dutch (4)  All languages (92)
'Caught' was only my second Harlan Coban novel but I am sure it will not be my last. What appeared to commence as a story revolving around pedophiles turned into an enthralling mystery story with the usual twist. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
I read this for a group discussion and it had us all guessing right to the end. The characters are well developed and seem like true-to-life people. The plot is excellent with many twists and turns and the ending is very surprising. I'm looking forward to reading more of Coben's books in the near future.
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
TV Tabloid reporter Wendy Tynes is on a mission to identify and bring down sexual predators via televised sting operations. Her latest target is a social worker known as a friend to troubled teens.
Meanwhile, a seventeen-year-old girl disappears. Her family hears nothing for three months and now everyone assumes the worst. As a community struggles to cope with the loss of the missing girl, and the predator who may have taken her, Wendy realizes she can’t trust her own instincts or the motives of the people around her.

The story also has a fascinating and realistically flawed heroine in Wendy Tynes. I started off really disliking her only to find myself sympathetic as the story progressed. Wendy’s determination to find out the real truth about what’s been going on, even to the point where it puts her own career in doubt, is admirable, and she certainly needs every ounce of that determination when faced with the twists and turns of the complex plot.

I don't often read Harlan Coben and I'm not sure why. I'll definitely make sure I read more in the future.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Wendy Tynes is a television reporter who catches Dan Mercer in a sting for pedophiles. Once she learns more she begins to wonder if Dan has been set up. Dan's case also becomes connected to that of a missing teenager, Hailey McWaid. I liked the character of Wendy and the theme of forgiveness that runs through the book. There were a lot of plots going on in the book that didn't totally connect. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Wendy's TV show is all about outing pedophiles. But when she outa Dan her gut feelings tell her she's made a mistake. Though the evidence convinces the police, the information she unearths leads her in another direction. The police meanwhile are busy searching for a teenage girl that disappears without a trace. And when Dan is supposedly killed by a vigilante father the case appear clear cut. But all is not as it seems of course.

There is a varied cast of interesting characters introduced throughout the book and many seemingly disparate facts are unobtrusively introduced along the line and when things start to clarify everything comes together neatly. In hindsight the clues are there plain to see and the characters all ring true. My first Harlan Coben will certainly not be my last.
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |
The following list of shockeroos does not amount to a spoiler, because you cannot possibly guess how “Caught” cobbles all of these together: a pedophile, an investigative reporter, an embezzling scheme, a drunken driver, a college boys’ conspiracy, a television show judge, a case of mistaken identity on the Internet, a disappearing corpse, a kneecap shooting, a dead hooker and a GPS. Half as many gimmicks and twice as much authorial forethought would have made for vast improvements.

Harlan Cobenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Busk, SisselOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jansen in de Wal, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kwisinski, GunnarÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MacDuffie, CarringtonReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pock-Steen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welch, Christopher EvanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anne

From the luckiest guy in the world
I knew opening that red door would destroy my life.

From the #1 New York Times bestselling master of suspense comes a fast-paced, emotion-packed novel about guilt, grief, and our capacity to forgive

17-year-old Haley McWaid is a good girl, the pride of her suburban New Jersey family, captain of the lacrosse team, headed off to college next year with all the hopes and dreams her doting parents can pin on her. Which is why, when her mother wakes one morning to find that Haley never came home the night before, and three months quickly pass without word from the girl, the community assumes the worst.

Wendy Tynes is a reporter on a mission, to identify and bring down sexual predators via elaborate-and nationally televised-sting operations. Working with local police on her news program Caught in the Act, Wendy and her team have publicly shamed dozens of men by the time she encounters her latest target. Dan Mercer is a social worker known as a friend to troubled teens, but his story soon becomes more complicated than Wendy could have imagined.

In a novel that challenges as much as it thrills, filled with the astonishing tension and unseen suburban machinations that have become Coben's trademark, Caught tells the story of a missing girl, the community stunned by her loss, the predator who may have taken her, and the reporter who suddenly realizes she can't trust her own instincts about this story-or the motives of the people around her.

Dan Mercer stands accused of being a sexual predator thanks to the ambush journalism of Wendy Tynes, a tabloid TV reporter, who must cope with her husband's death caused by a drunken driver as well as reckon with the possibility of Mercer's innocence. When Tynes finds a link between a father of one of Mercer's alleged victims and others felled by scandal, she could become a killer's next victim.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,874,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible