Caught by Harlan Coben

Caught (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Harlan Coben

Member:Samqua
Title:Caught
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Dutton Adult (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

Caught by Harlan Coben (2010)

Recently added byprivate library, BrownvilleLibrary, colinswift, vincer, dyan46, Autres, Elizabyte, mindy.magee, reneely

English (77)  Dutch (4)  All languages (81)
Dan Mercer stands accused of being a sexual predator thanks to the ambush journalism of Wendy Tynes, a tabloid TV reporter, who must cope with her husband's death caused by a drunken driver as well as reckon with the possibility of Mercer's innocence. When Tynes finds a link between a father of one of Mercer's alleged victims and others felled by scandal, she could become a killer's next victim (summary from ISBN 052595158X).

Interesting premise, but complicated plot and dissatisfying ending. ( )
  lrobe190 | Aug 12, 2014 |
I love his writing & sense of humor! It was nice to see little cameos from Coben's other series on Myron Bolitar. The story is intense. I think I liked it so well because I've thought about the nature of American Justice & if those accused of especially henious crimes are really ever "innocent until proven guilty". How just the accusation can ruin a person's life. Coben handled it well, without settling for an easy answer to that moral question. ( )
  CMBlaker | May 6, 2014 |
"Caught" is a very good thriller in the typical Harlan Coben's 100-miles-per-hour style, that makes you turn the pages so fast that your hair will ruffle in the ensuing wind. I have read a couple of books by this author before, and I chose this one because it was another "stand alone" thriller, as opposed to the Miron Bolitar series, that I carefully avoided.
Coben seems to have carved himself out a little niche which could be defined as "the fast-paced thriller where seemingly normal people are hiding dark and life-altering secrets".
The good: a complex plot that pulls you into different and rather unpredictable directions, many references to current ("current" 4 years ago) social habits and events, from unemployed white collar guys to social networks to viral marketing.
The not so good: like 90% of books belonging to the "fast-paced thriller" genre, it's pretty shallow. Well, of course, you can only have this speed in shallow waters. Also, just like in a Dan Brown or a Dean Koontz thriller, you obviously don't go around looking for particularly elegant writing. For example, one character is introduced as "flamboyant", which is a pretty uncommon word, and only two pages later he is again described as "flamboyant". Also, different characters seem to use the same expressions, like for example "Boo-friggin'- hoo", or the family-slang word "friggin" that I don't think is such a commonly used expression.
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
EDITORIAL REVIEW: **From the #1 *New York Times* bestselling master of suspense comes a fast-paced, emotion-packed novel about guilt, grief, and our capacity to forgive** 17-year-old Haley McWaid is a good girl, the pride of her suburban New Jersey family, captain of the lacrosse team, headed off to college next year with all the hopes and dreams her doting parents can pin on her. Which is why, when her mother wakes one morning to find that Haley never came home the night before, and three months quickly pass without word from the girl, the community assumes the worst. Wendy Tynes is a reporter on a mission, to identify and bring down sexual predators via elaborate—and nationally televised—sting operations. Working with local police on her news program Caught in the Act, Wendy and her team have publicly shamed dozens of men by the time she encounters her latest target. Dan Mercer is a social worker known as a friend to troubled teens, but his story soon becomes more complicated than Wendy could have imagined. In a novel that challenges as much as it thrills, filled with the astonishing tension and unseen suburban machinations that have become CobenĂ‚Â’s trademark, *Caught* tells the story of a missing girl, the community stunned by her loss, the predator who may have taken her, and the reporter who suddenly realizes she canĂ‚Â’t trust her own instincts about this story—or the motives of the people around her. Praise for *Long Lost*: "Coben is one of the best authors around at writing page-turning suspense, as *Long Lost* makes clear." -*Chicago Sun-Times* "Roller-coaster plot and savvy dialogue...All the ingredients of a good old- fashioned thriller: murder, action and wit." -*New York Daily News*
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
A high school girl goes missing; the police and a reporter work the case to find the predator.

Oh dear, another read that just didn't hold my attention. And, that was a shocker because I really enjoy Coben's standalones. I must say that I did enjoy the prologue and looked forward to the story, but as it continued I never fully connected. When a few new characters (and there were many) were introduced, I disengaged some more. I did enjoy the ending, though. Ultimately, only truly liking the beginning and the ending does not make a great read. I'm glad to be moving on.

Originally posted on: Thoughts of Joy ( )
  ThoughtsofJoyLibrary | Aug 20, 2013 |
The following list of shockeroos does not amount to a spoiler, because you cannot possibly guess how “Caught” cobbles all of these together: a pedophile, an investigative reporter, an embezzling scheme, a drunken driver, a college boys’ conspiracy, a television show judge, a case of mistaken identity on the Internet, a disappearing corpse, a kneecap shooting, a dead hooker and a GPS. Half as many gimmicks and twice as much authorial forethought would have made for vast improvements.

Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
For Anne

From the luckiest guy in the world
I knew opening that red door would destroy my life.

From the #1 New York Times bestselling master of suspense comes a fast-paced, emotion-packed novel about guilt, grief, and our capacity to forgive

Wendy Tynes is a reporter on a mission, to identify and bring down sexual predators via elaborate-and nationally televised-sting operations. Working with local police on her news program Caught in the Act, Wendy and her team have publicly shamed dozens of men by the time she encounters her latest target. Dan Mercer is a social worker known as a friend to troubled teens, but his story soon becomes more complicated than Wendy could have imagined.

In a novel that challenges as much as it thrills, filled with the astonishing tension and unseen suburban machinations that have become Coben's trademark, Caught tells the story of a missing girl, the community stunned by her loss, the predator who may have taken her, and the reporter who suddenly realizes she can't trust her own instincts about this story-or the motives of the people around her.

Dan Mercer stands accused of being a sexual predator thanks to the ambush journalism of Wendy Tynes, a tabloid TV reporter, who must cope with her husband's death caused by a drunken driver as well as reckon with the possibility of Mercer's innocence. When Tynes finds a link between a father of one of Mercer's alleged victims and others felled by scandal, she could become a killer's next victim.… (more)

Seven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,890,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible