A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend by…

A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend (edition 2010)

by Emily Horner

Member:GLBTRT
Title:A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend
Authors:Emily Horner
Info:Dial (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:GLBTRT, Rainbow Book List, 2011

A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend by Emily Horner

The story of how a well-loved member of a crowd's death affects the crowd is not new, and I picked this up with a bit of trepidation. It was unwarranted. Horner's first novel is ably plotted and well-done. There were more than a few laugh-out-loud moments, and I liked the narrator very well. She was achingly believable and so adolescently stupid she could have stepped right off the page.

I loved the long-distance bicycle trip. I loved the growth in the characters throughout the story. I loved the way the friends close ranks when it becomes important. There's a lot here to love.

For all that I loved it, I recognize that it's a first novel. The dialogue was more than a little wooden in spots. There were some minor bobbles in believability and consistency, and the flashback flash forward format is difficult to follow at first, but overall I think it a very worthwhile and solid story. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I can't review this rationally or give it a rating. It hit me in some vulnerable places at a vulnerable time, but not in a bad way. I'm glad I read it.
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was such a “right book at the right time” for me. The idea of chucking it all for a solitary cross-country journey of self-discovery sounds so awesome right now I can’t even tell you. This is the sort of book that inspires a soundtrack — she’s biking, not sitting on a train or bus, but you can picture the “staring out a window listening to folk rock as the corn fields fly by” montage anyway. (Full review at http://www.parenthetical.net/2011/05/16/review-a-love-story-starring-my-dead-bes...) ( )
  SamMusher | Mar 30, 2013 |
I actually put off reading this book, because I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on it. I actually enjoyed A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend a lot. Parts of Cass reminded me of myself. In high school, I was always on the fringe of several cliques in high school and never felt that I truly belonged in any of them. I understand how vicious middle schoolers can be and that helped me understand the tough shell that Cass had. The emotions that Cass had were so intense and realistic, I felt all of them. Heather seemed like a bitch at the beginning of this book, but she turned out to be likable and sweet at times. The other characters added humor to the story and kept me laughing. The plot was slow at the beginning, but it quickly became engaging. I liked that the story alternated back in forth and it showed the extreme growth that happened to Cass in such a short time. I found the theater aspect to be entertaining, but I love musicals and it could be boring to anyone that doesn't like it. There was also a lot of originality that was with in the book. I liked the one last legacy part that came from them preforming Totally Sweet Ninja Death. Horner made a fantastic debut. I would recommend this book to fans of contemporary young adult fiction. ( )
  gjchauvin504 | Nov 26, 2012 |
This funny, touching, and sweet coming-of-age story explores serious themes in a fresh way. Cass's tentative questioning of her own sexuality and her hesitant approach toward her first serious romantic relationship will delight readers who struggle with similar issues, as well as those who simply enjoy a well-crafted story. (Starred review.)
added by foggidawn | editSchool Library Journal, Misti Tidman

Dear Julia,

I'm writing this because I still turn around whenever I hear your name, and I just turned around.

As she tries to sort out her feelings of love, seventeen-year-old Cass, a spunky math genius with an introverted streak, finds a way to memorialize her dead best friend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,974,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible