A Murderous Procession(aka The Assassin's…

A Murderous Procession(aka The Assassin's Prayer) (2010)

by Ariana Franklin

Series: Mistress of the Art of Death (4)

7385112,638 (3.96)1 / 112

**** WARNING -- Spoilers for the book's ending ****

A conspiracy between Rowley and Henry II sends Adelia Aguilar back to Sicily, but without her daughter Allie. It seems Rowley is concerned Allie isn't learning the things a lady ought, and instead seems intent on her interest in animals and bugs. A furious Adelia is unaware that Rowley is also concerned for her life. It seems Scarey (a bad guy from the last novel) is trying to killer Adelia. So Adelia and Rowley set off with a contingent to escort Henry's daughter Joanna to Palermo in order to marry the Kind of Sicily.

I enjoy Franklin's writing when her characters are traveling -- she just seems to have a gift for making the places and different characters they meet interesting. I also love the fact that Adelia's parents will be returning to make their home in England now, and I look forward to reading more of them in future books. I loved also the character of O'Donnell, and hope he finds happiness in future books as well.

I do have two quibbles with the book, one being with the ending. How in the world could Franklin have ended things so abruptly, with the reader still unsure of a major character's life (not to mention livelihood). A very bizarre ending that I didn't appreciate at all. I also wasn't impressed by Scarey in this novel, either. As a villain he seemed a little one-dimensional to me. I actually felt a bit of sympathy for the man, losing his lover and then his mind becoming deranged. To me he was a very sick man psychologically, and the fact they left his body in the street at the end bothered me. Overall though this was a good entry to the series, and of course I look forward to reading many more.
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
This is a totally enjoyable mystery centered on a 12th century female doctor. Great information about the period and good plot and characters. ( )
  gbelik | Apr 12, 2017 |
I really like the character of Adelia, but wish she had better taste in men. I'd trade Rowley for O'Donnell in a heartbeat. Rowley has always grated on me. He's an arrogant, blithering idiot who thinks too much about himself. I feel like certain parts of this story were rushed, while others proceeded at a sluggish pace. This is possibly my least favorite of the series, but was not altogether unenjoyable. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
A Murderous Procession
3 Stars

Adelia Aguilar has finally found some peace living in Somerset, but Henry II interferes once again when he demands that she accompany his daughter on her marriage procession to Sicily. Adelia reluctantly agrees but the journey is rife with murder and betrayal in the form of a villain from the past who will stop at nothing to destroy the Mistress of the Art of Death.

As in the previous installments, the historical background and insight into the lives of historical figures are fascinating. Moreover, the picture Franklin draws of the harshness of life in the 12th century, especially for women, is quite vivid and disturbing.

While the revenge plot is good, most of the mystery involves determining the real identity of the sick and twisted villain from a long list of suspects. The majority of characters are stereotypical, although one or two have some interesting fetishes, and familiar faces from the first three books are sorely missing. Moreover, Adelia’s intelligence seems to have dimmed somewhat as she refuses to acknowledge the threat even when those closest to her issue warning after warning.

It should be noted that the book ends on a cliffhanger, which in and of itself would not be the end of the world, however, the author as since passed away and there is, consequently, no closure to this particular storyline. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Love all of Ariana's books, sad that the world lost her too soon. ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |

Ariana Franklinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Löcher-Lawrence, WernerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pasetti, Maria ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother, Roger, and my sister-in-law, Ann.
Between the parishes of Shepfold and Martlake in Somerset existed an area of no man's land and a lot of ill feeling.

From the Publisher: Joanna, the youngest of King Henry's daughters, is on her way to marry William II, king of Sicily. The journey will be long and dangerous, so Henry sends the only doctor he trusts -- Adelia Aquilar, who is just as gifted with the living as she is with the dead. Usually, Adelia would be eager to visit her homeland, but Henry insists she leave her daughter in England as insurance she'll return. Adelia takes out her bitterness on Rowley, her former lover and Henry's most loyal man. Rowley is along for protection because a princess travelling with a fortune in jewels and gold is a tempting target, especially when among the treasures is the great sword Excalibur. Henry has decided to give it to his future son-in-law and greatest ally -- to keep it from his ambitious sons. But the scheming of princes is nothing compared to a madman who seeks revenge because he blames Adelia for his lover's death...

Adelia Aguilar is back in this thrilling fourth installment of the Mistress of the Art of Death series. In 1176, King Henry II chooses Adelia to help keep his daughter safe. But when people in her wedding procession are murdered, Adelia must discover the killer's identity.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible