A Murderous Procession(aka The Assassin's…

A Murderous Procession(aka The Assassin's Prayer) (2010)

by Ariana Franklin

Series: Mistress of the Art of Death (4)

7345012,734 (3.96)1 / 112

This is a totally enjoyable mystery centered on a 12th century female doctor. Great information about the period and good plot and characters. ( )
  gbelik | Apr 12, 2017 |
I really like the character of Adelia, but wish she had better taste in men. I'd trade Rowley for O'Donnell in a heartbeat. Rowley has always grated on me. He's an arrogant, blithering idiot who thinks too much about himself. I feel like certain parts of this story were rushed, while others proceeded at a sluggish pace. This is possibly my least favorite of the series, but was not altogether unenjoyable. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
A Murderous Procession
3 Stars

Adelia Aguilar has finally found some peace living in Somerset, but Henry II interferes once again when he demands that she accompany his daughter on her marriage procession to Sicily. Adelia reluctantly agrees but the journey is rife with murder and betrayal in the form of a villain from the past who will stop at nothing to destroy the Mistress of the Art of Death.

As in the previous installments, the historical background and insight into the lives of historical figures are fascinating. Moreover, the picture Franklin draws of the harshness of life in the 12th century, especially for women, is quite vivid and disturbing.

While the revenge plot is good, most of the mystery involves determining the real identity of the sick and twisted villain from a long list of suspects. The majority of characters are stereotypical, although one or two have some interesting fetishes, and familiar faces from the first three books are sorely missing. Moreover, Adelia’s intelligence seems to have dimmed somewhat as she refuses to acknowledge the threat even when those closest to her issue warning after warning.

It should be noted that the book ends on a cliffhanger, which in and of itself would not be the end of the world, however, the author as since passed away and there is, consequently, no closure to this particular storyline. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Love all of Ariana's books, sad that the world lost her too soon. ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |
I loved this, in fact I got so caught up in this book that I seriously considered phoning the friend I was meeting to say that something had come up and that I had to cancel. It moves along at a good pace although the identity of the bad guy was to obvious which stops this from being a 5* read. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |

Ariana Franklinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Löcher-Lawrence, WernerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pasetti, Maria ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother, Roger, and my sister-in-law, Ann.
Between the parishes of Shepfold and Martlake in Somerset existed an area of no man's land and a lot of ill feeling.

From the Publisher: Joanna, the youngest of King Henry's daughters, is on her way to marry William II, king of Sicily. The journey will be long and dangerous, so Henry sends the only doctor he trusts -- Adelia Aquilar, who is just as gifted with the living as she is with the dead. Usually, Adelia would be eager to visit her homeland, but Henry insists she leave her daughter in England as insurance she'll return. Adelia takes out her bitterness on Rowley, her former lover and Henry's most loyal man. Rowley is along for protection because a princess travelling with a fortune in jewels and gold is a tempting target, especially when among the treasures is the great sword Excalibur. Henry has decided to give it to his future son-in-law and greatest ally -- to keep it from his ambitious sons. But the scheming of princes is nothing compared to a madman who seeks revenge because he blames Adelia for his lover's death...

Adelia Aguilar is back in this thrilling fourth installment of the Mistress of the Art of Death series. In 1176, King Henry II chooses Adelia to help keep his daughter safe. But when people in her wedding procession are murdered, Adelia must discover the killer's identity.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,411,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible