A Murderous Procession by Ariana Franklin

A Murderous Procession (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Ariana Franklin

Info:Berkley Trade (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:2013 Reads, Your library, My EBooks
Rating:*****
Tags:Historical Fiction, Mystery

A Murderous Procession by Diana Norman (2010)

This is the fourth book in the "Mistress of the Art of Death" series and I'm done. I really liked the first and third books, the second was okay, but this one drove me nuts. The main character, supposedly such a smart woman, was so idiotic that I really didn't care if she ended up getting killed. It was made even worse by the narrator whose voice irritated me beyond belief. (The narrators of the first three, Rosalyn Landor and Kate Reading) were very good so the contrast was startling. 2 and 1/2 stars. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
The fourth in the Mistress of the Art of Death series, Dr. Adelia Aguilar has been chosen by King Henry II to accompany his daughter Joanna to Palermo to marry his cousin, the king of Sicily. Adelia is excited by the prospect of returning to her home of Sicily—but is soon is reluctant to leave when Henry refuses to let her bring her young daughter Ally with (Henry’s way of guaranteeing Adelia’s return). Adelia must go and so joins the procession (with Mansur and Rowley (her lover and the King’s Bishop)). In addition, Henry has arranged for Arthur’s sword, Excaliaber, to be brought as a gift to the bridegroom. As people in the wedding procession are murdered, Adelia and Rowley must discover the killer's identity . . . and whether he is stalking the princess or Adelia herself. There was a different feel to this book than those previous. In previous books, Adelia seemed very much in control and strong, but here she is in situations completely beyond her control and, at times, in great peril (which she continues to dismiss). I really enjoy this series. I find the history well researched—and it is an interesting to see an independent women put into 12th century England (and all of their superstitions and mores). I also appreciated the introduction of new characters into this novel, particularly the O’Donnell, the ship’s captain, and Adelia’s parents. The novel ends on a “cliffhanger” and I was disappointed to learn that the author passed away following the publishing of this book—however I did read that her daughter may take over the writing of the series (hope its true!). 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Feb 9, 2016 |
The story is great, I just had a problem with the malevolence factor. ( )
  lkarr | Feb 6, 2016 |

Adelia & Manusr are accompanying King Henry"s & Eleanor's daughter Joanna to Sicily to wed. She & Mansur are traveling as the doctors to Joanna, but her court doctor, ladies in waiting & priests consider them witches & want nothing to do with them. King Henry has forced Adelia's daughter Allie to remain behind in care of Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine as insurance to her return to England.

Excalibur is on the trip and is to be gifted to the King of Sicily, whom Joanna is to wed, but it goes missing!

There have been near misses on Adelia's life, but she is totally unaware of what is going on around her, but she is forced to face it as others in the entourage are being murdered.

Adelia & Mansur are set up as heretics, are arrested as Cathars & are set to be burned.... Their escape takes them through the Pyrenees and into a Catalan mountain hideaway.

Catching up with the Princess they find she is quite ill and Adelia is called upon to heal her......

There is so much more exciting action & romance.....but you are just gonna have to read the book yourself to find out what happens.......

This was a good story, once I started it I only stopped while I was working....then I stayed up until after 1:00 am to finish it. I'm looking forward to another.....although there is no indication that there is one forthcoming. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is her first book that I've read rather than listened to. I prefer listening to the stories but I found it to be less bleak than the others. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |

Diana Normanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Löcher-Lawrence, WernerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pasetti, Maria ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother, Roger, and my sister-in-law, Ann.
Between the parishes of Shepfold and Martlake in Somerset existed an area of no man's land and a lot of ill feeling.

From the Publisher: Joanna, the youngest of King Henry's daughters, is on her way to marry William II, king of Sicily. The journey will be long and dangerous, so Henry sends the only doctor he trusts -- Adelia Aquilar, who is just as gifted with the living as she is with the dead. Usually, Adelia would be eager to visit her homeland, but Henry insists she leave her daughter in England as insurance she'll return. Adelia takes out her bitterness on Rowley, her former lover and Henry's most loyal man. Rowley is along for protection because a princess travelling with a fortune in jewels and gold is a tempting target, especially when among the treasures is the great sword Excalibur. Henry has decided to give it to his future son-in-law and greatest ally -- to keep it from his ambitious sons. But the scheming of princes is nothing compared to a madman who seeks revenge because he blames Adelia for his lover's death...

Adelia Aguilar is back in this thrilling fourth installment of the Mistress of the Art of Death series. In 1176, King Henry II chooses Adelia to help keep his daughter safe. But when people in her wedding procession are murdered, Adelia must discover the killer's identity.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible