A Murderous Procession by Ariana Franklin

A Murderous Procession (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Ariana Franklin

Info:Berkley Trade (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:2013 Reads, Your library, My EBooks
Rating:*****
Tags:Historical Fiction, Mystery

A Murderous Procession (US) / The Assassin's Prayer (UK) by Diana Norman (2010)

Beware the end of this book! The author died after completing the novel and there is a cliffhanger. Yet still a fantastic read. ( )
  rosieclaverton | May 18, 2014 |
I still love Adelia but did not like this book as much as others. This plot leaves Gyltha behind in England and she is sorely missed. There is also a cliff hanger ending that bothered me. ( )
  alyson | Aug 29, 2013 |
This is the final book in a wonderful historic mysteries series set during the 12th century. This time our spunky protagonist Adelia has been assigned to accompany King Henry II's daughter Joanna on a procession to Sicily where she will marry the king and help cement another ally for England. As with her other novels, the mystery itself isn't earth shattering. Even I had an idea of who was perpetrating the crimes and I almost never guess a mystery. But, the really gem behind this story is the description of the different places they travel and the final destination of Sicily. Adelia was trained as a doctor in Sicily which was much more cosmopolitan and forward thinking than England in the 12th Century. Women were allowed to not only go to school, but could openly practice medicine. This book definitely gives an ominous warning of the impact that the Crusades will bring to Europe as the Church gains in strength and begins to ban educating girls, practicing surgery by male and female doctors, and the strain in relations between Christians, Muslims, and Jews. One of the best parts of this audiobook is the author's notes at the end where Ariana Franklin describes her research and the slight deviations the story took with history. Sadly, this is the last in the series since it was published shortly before the author's death. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
Absolutely brilliant. Incredibly fantastic. ( )
  SamO4 | Mar 31, 2013 |
I've really enjoyed this series, and I like Ariana Franklin's writing, but this is not the strongest entry in the list. I felt like this one took forever to really get good. The first third of the book I just wasn't interested, and if I hadn't already been a fan I probably would have put it down and not picked it up again.

When the party got to the Cathar village things picked up, and I enjoyed the last two thirds of the book quite a lot. But the first third just felt lifeless and like it was going through the motions. Also I'm starting not to believe in the central romance any more. Sigh. I hope the next one is stronger. ( )
  bunwat | Mar 30, 2013 |

Diana Normanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Löcher-Lawrence, WernerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pasetti, Maria ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother, Roger, and my sister-in-law, Ann.
Between the parishes of Shepfold and Martlake in Somerset existed an area of no man's land and a lot of ill feeling.

From the Publisher: Joanna, the youngest of King Henry's daughters, is on her way to marry William II, king of Sicily. The journey will be long and dangerous, so Henry sends the only doctor he trusts -- Adelia Aquilar, who is just as gifted with the living as she is with the dead. Usually, Adelia would be eager to visit her homeland, but Henry insists she leave her daughter in England as insurance she'll return. Adelia takes out her bitterness on Rowley, her former lover and Henry's most loyal man. Rowley is along for protection because a princess travelling with a fortune in jewels and gold is a tempting target, especially when among the treasures is the great sword Excalibur. Henry has decided to give it to his future son-in-law and greatest ally -- to keep it from his ambitious sons. But the scheming of princes is nothing compared to a madman who seeks revenge because he blames Adelia for his lover's death...

Adelia Aguilar is back in this thrilling fourth installment of the Mistress of the Art of Death series. In 1176, King Henry II chooses Adelia to help keep his daughter safe. But when people in her wedding procession are murdered, Adelia must discover the killer's identity.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,649,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible