Jane Bites Back: A Novel by Michael Thomas…

Jane Bites Back: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Michael Thomas Ford

Member:attolia
Title:Jane Bites Back: A Novel
Authors:Michael Thomas Ford
Info:Ballantine Books (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2010, fiction, fantasy

Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford

English (45)  Swedish (1)  All languages (46)
Jane Austen as a vampire. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this. Quick read. Very fun! ( )
  njcur | Feb 21, 2014 |
Quick Review...for when I don't have a lot to say...

It's no secret that I adore Austen adaptations. In fact, one of my lesser-known goals is to read ALL THE ADAPTATIONS. (Okay, MOST of them. I won't read the gross-out mashups.) When I saw this series, written by a man, I knew I had to get in on the fun.

I wasn't disappointed. This series is just plain fun, and sometimes downright hilarious. I love that Jane Austen is an actual character in them, even if she is undead. Her inclusion added that special touch that the series needed to stand out.

There are twists that I definitely didn't see coming, but enjoyed nonetheless. I won't spoil those for you, but be prepared to laugh out loud when you meet some of the supporting characters. I nearly died laughing.

The book is well-written and one that I'll put on my 'to buy' list. I have a special shelf for all the adaptations, of course. This series will be a nice addition to my collection.

3.5 Eiffel Towers ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
RATING: 2.5 stars.

Enjoyable, but a bit too short. There was a lot going on and not nearly enough development. I liked the idea, though. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
I wanted this to be funnier than it was, but I did finish it. ( )
  alyson | Aug 29, 2013 |
Although this is a completely improbable story, I wasn't annoyed. Yay! Taking one of my favorite authors and turning her into a vampire put my back up before I even started reading, but I could actually see Jane Austen in this character. Nicely done, even if the plot was a bit too convenient at times. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
We know what you’re thinking: OHGODNOTANOTHERMONSTERMASHUPMAKEITSTOOOOOOOOOP! ANDHOWDARETHEYDOTHATTOJANEAUSTENANYWAY? While normally we might feel the same way, to tell the truth, we were intrigued by the description of Jane Bites Back the first time we read about it in Publisher’s Lunch. Admit it, Vampire Jane getting revenge on those who take advantage of her literary legacy kicks all kinds of butt in concept. It remained to be seen whether the author could follow through on that amusing premise. Fortunately, Michael Thomas Ford pulled it off; Vampire Jane is much more human and enjoyable than the chocolate-box saint that many Janeites have created in her image. She’s a lady—but with a bite.

For Liz Waters, who gives very good advice
It was not, of course, exactly what Jane had written to her sister that long-ago Christmas Eve, but the sentiment was the same.

Two hundred years after her death, Jane Austen is still surrounded by the literature she loves--but now it's because she's the owner of Flyleaf Books in a sleepy college town in Upstate New York--and a vampire, too. Suddenly in the spotlight, she must hide her real identity--and fend off a dark man from her past while juggling two modern suitors.… (more)

Michael Thomas Ford is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible