Drive: The Surprising Truth About What…

Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us (2009)

by Daniel H. Pink

1,582None4,599 (3.88)30

Very inspiring book! A must read for all who wants to live and lead with purpose ( )
  JagRandhawa | Apr 2, 2014 |
I found the autonomy to be quite interesting to read and learn. I'm hoping this comes in to our company.

Mastery and Purpose are equally good as well. ( )
  nmarun | Mar 11, 2014 |
Read it as an audiobook which probably isn`t the best way to read it. ( )
  maartekes | Jan 1, 2014 |
I wish Pink would write a second version of this book, with examples of how non-profit & service organizations are adapting some of these ideas. It's an interesting thought experiment to imagine what a ROWE public library would look like, or what projects paraprofessional staff would spend their 20% time on. I read it specifically to think about how to craft self-paced trainings that could incorporate these principles. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
My boss loaned me this book after a discussion about teacher compensation.
In our discussion, I took the position that teachers needed financial incentives instead of the static salary schedule model we have in place right now. My boss said that he thinks that internal/intrinsic motivation may be more of a factor, and he cited this book - which happened to be on his desk. He was about to read it, but he generously offered to let me read it first.

Turns out that we're both right.

Before I explain, I'd like to say something about the author. When I was about halfway through the book, I had a few questions and observations. On the book jacket, the author encourages emails - so I emailed him. I got a thoughtful response THE NEXT DAY. Not bad!

There's a lot to say about this book and I'm just going to make a few quick points. For those of you who, like me, just want a quick "Should I read this and why?" here it is: If you are interested in understanding motivation, in learning better management techniques, and getting more personal satisfaction out of your work (and ultimately your life), read this book. It will only take you 3-5 days.

Now on to my observations...

As far as my being "right" about better teacher financial incentives, Mr. Pink doesn't say that offering bonuses, raises, or other financial rewards for performance will increase motivation. What he says is that people in ALL fields need to have a baseline of fair compensation to START with. Without that baseline, he argues, there is going to be dissatisfaction. My friends and colleagues who are teachers understand this. If you were to ask them if they honestly felt that hard-working,dedicated teachers are fairly compensated, the answer would be a passionate "No!" And over time, I would argue, that is why burn-out, mediocrity, and bitterness kick in. It's why so many leave after 5 years or so.

As far as the internal motivation angle goes, Mr. Pink argues (and demonstrated with examples) that giving autonomy and respect to employees (or students!) along with clear goals and expectations is what gets people excited about their vocations.

There were a few examples that really intrigued me - companies where supervisor's said "We need you to do X. We don't care if you come in to work all day, every day, some days, once a week, once a month...whatever. As long as you accomplish X, we don't care how you do it." There were other examples where companies gave employees time to pursue ideas that weren't related to their normal tasks independently or with colleagues. Oftentimes this lead to breakthroughs and innovation.

Now how I could use this as an educator is still buzzing around in my head - but I've definitely got a few ideas this book inspired me to try. ( )
  Scarchin | Nov 12, 2013 |
For Sophia, Eliza, and Saul -
the surprising trio that motivates me
In the middle of the last century, two scientists conducted experiments that should have changed the world - but did not.

Pink argues that the secret to high performance and satisfaction in today's world is the deeply human need to direct our own lives, to learn and create new things, and to do better by ourselves and our world.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Canongate Books

Two editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847677681, 184767769X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible