Drive: The Surprising Truth About What…

Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us (2009)

by Daniel H. Pink

Recently added bydeathflame, MrGGBS, Leonardo.Galvao, pdrwils, LT_Ammar, DeftMunky, private library, INorris

English (64)  Spanish (1)  All languages (65)
Much of the business and education world relies on rewards and punishments. Produce more widgets, get a bonus. Meet your reading goal, get a pizza party. Pink shows that these rewards are, in the modern economy, often counterproductive. They turn inherently rewarding activities into work and reduce both creativity and productivity. Pink wants us to be more aware of our intrinsic, rather than extrinsic, motivators: we seek, he says, autonomy, mastery, and purpose in our work.

An optimistic, empowering look at how to better structure work and play, though it will make you frustrated that so many things are currently run contrary to science. ( )
  jholcomb | Oct 8, 2015 |
Drive looks at what motivates people in there work, play and school. Interesting, with some research backing his observations. The recommendation was to encourage intrinsic motivation (autonomy, mastery, purpose) over extrinsic. Makes sense, but difficult to make changes. The book is attempting to do that. ( )
  addunn3 | Sep 22, 2015 |
Mostly I just find it amusing that a business book gave the best argument I've ever seen for a guaranteed minimum income. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Aug 26, 2015 |
A very interesting read. He doesn't successfully make his case at the outset, but builds up steam as he goes along and makes it much more convincing and concrete. As with many books of this genre, each chapter can be exploded into libraries of work. Still, despite its brevity, he parlays his theories in full. The coda is quite entertaining as well, with ideas, workshops, summaries, pointers, talking-points and my favorite thing for an author to do: book recommendations. I'm happy to say I've read much of his list.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
Selected e-content from Google Books: https://goo.gl/pOcKqb
Review from World Cat:
Pink argues that the secret to high performance and satisfaction in today's world is the deeply human need to direct our own lives, to learn and create new things, and to do better by ourselves and our world.
  COREEducation | Jun 3, 2015 |
For Sophia, Eliza, and Saul -
the surprising trio that motivates me
In the middle of the last century, two scientists conducted experiments that should have changed the world - but did not.

Canongate Books

2 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847677681, 184767769X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,802,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible