An Irish Country Girl by Patrick Taylor

An Irish Country Girl (2009)

by Patrick Taylor

201None58,339 (3.58)31
    An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (Sile)
    Sile: Same "Irish Country" series.

Another great tale in the Irish Country series; this is the fourth book in the series but it isn't really about the doctors. This story - An Irish Country GIRL - is about Mrs. Kinky Kincade (Dr. O'Reiley's housekeeper) and, mostly, about her experience as a late teen and young woman and the story of the Saint Stephens Ghost. I thought this was a great tale and was well done. I got quite drawn in and emotionally invested in the story. Highly recommended. ( )
  plunkinberry | Oct 15, 2013 |
While I really enjoyed the details of Irish myths and bits of Irish history, the story wasn't as strong for the last half as Taylor's other works. ( )
  sriemann | Mar 30, 2013 |
The fourth entry in his Irish Country series, An Irish Country Girl by Patrick Taylor is a little different from the first three. Usually set in the 1960’s, in this volume we step even further back in time to the 1920’s and learn of the girlhood of Maureen Kincaid, housekeeper to the doctors of Ballybucklebo.

On a blustery Christmas day, Mrs. Kincaid invites the children carollers in and tells them a tale of her own young days. At fourteen, she was a farmer’s daughter living in County Cork, and beginning to build dreams for herself. One Christmas she learns that she is developing ‘the sight’ when she has a visitation from the Banshee and is given advance warning about the death of a young neighbour, a young man who was walking out with her sister, and who laughed at the warnings not to cross the dark fairies. After the carollers leave for their own homes, she remembers more about her past, how she met, married, and became the young widow of Paudeen Kincaid.

Told with his usual charm and verbosity, this book explores the mythology of Ireland, the dark fairies, the banshee, even touching up the selkies. Weaving through this tale of magic is the story of a young girl coming to age and taking her first steps to independence. I enjoyed this walk down memory lane, but look forward to getting back to the regular characters and events in the village of Ballybucklebo This series would fall under the category of lighter reading, but I do have to say, I found this entry almost a little too light for my taste. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 31, 2013 |
So this was very different than the other Irish Country books I've read. It is told from Kinky Kincaid's perspective and details her youth and how she became "fey". (Psychic) It's a cozy trip into Irish folklore of which I heretofore knew nothing. It also includes some mouth watering details about her cooking which always make me wander into the kitchen wondering if I have any of the ingredients on hand to make something like she describes. Anyway, it's sweet, and nice but the good doctors literally just walk in the door at the last minute and don't even say a word I guess. I believe it's an important part of my Patrick Taylor collection. Oh, yes, I'm collecting, the covers are quite lovely. They look so nice in my library ( )
  Lesliejaneite | Dec 30, 2010 |
I listened to this book and loved the Irish accent of the reader. I was waiting for the story to get to the part about the main character as a girl, but the few chapters about Conner were necessary background to the story, told as a story to young children by Maureen as an older lady. I got more into the story of her romance-she had goals which were not uncommon in that time period, but there were still many that felt a married lady should be at home if the man could earn a living. This came between her and her love, but it turned out okay after Conner found him in a snow storm.
I wasn't too fond of the fact that she made Brussels sprouts for Christmas dinner, but at least I didn't have to eat them. ( )
  eliorajoy | Apr 7, 2010 |
To Dorothy
"Run along, make your calls, and enjoy His Lordship's booley," said Mrs. Maureen Kincaid, "Kinky" to her friends, as she knelt in the hall and sponged Ribena black-currant cordial from a small boy's tweed overcoat.

Readers of Patrick Taylor's books know Mrs Kinky Kincaid as the unflappable housekeeper who looks after two frequently frazzled doctors. A trusted fixture in the colorful Irish village of Ballybucklebo, it often sees as though Kinky has always been there.

But Kinky Kincaid was once Maureen O'Hanlon, a farmer's daughter growing up in County Cork. Maureen had a head full of dreams, a heart open to romance, and something more: a gift for seeing into the mystic realm of fairies, spirits, and even the feared banshee, whose wail she first heard one snowy night in 1922 ....

As she grows into a young woman, Marueen finds herself torn between love and her dreams, for the future is a mystery even to one blessed with the sight. After encountering both joy and sorrow, Maureen at last finds herself on the road to Balybucklebo - and the strong and compassionate woman she was always destined to become.

Presents the story of the early life of Kinky Kincaid, once known as Maureen O'Hanlon, a farmer's daughter growing up in the hills and glens of 1920s County Cork, Ireland, who had a gift for seeing faries, spirits, and the dreaded banshee.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible