An Irish Country Girl: A Novel (Irish…

An Irish Country Girl: A Novel (Irish Country Books) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Patrick Taylor

Member:mrbandb
Title:An Irish Country Girl: A Novel (Irish Country Books)
Authors:Patrick Taylor
Info:Forge Books (2011), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages

An Irish Country Girl by Patrick Taylor (2009)

An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (Sile)
    Sile: Same "Irish Country" series.

A light, easy read that unravels some of Irish fokelore. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
I consider myself a Canadian by birth and history but I think my soul is Irish. Many generations have passed since my forebears left Ireland but somehow the country is in my blood. That's why I like these books by Patrick Taylor that are firmly set in an Ireland of some years ago.

In this book we learn the history of Mrs. Kincaid, the woman who cooks and cleans and looks after the doctors of Ballybucklebro. Although Kinky, as she is affectionately called, has been living in Northern Ireland for most of her adult life she comes from County Cork in the Republic of Ireland. Kinky has "the sight" and has been known to warn people about dangers before they happen. As we learn in this book, Kinky's mother also had the sight. In 1922 Kinky's mother warned their neighbour Connor MacTaggart not to cut down a blackthorn tree because it was the home of the Shee, the fairies of Ireland. Connor went ahead and did so and he was plagued by troubles thereafter. Connor died in a blizzard on St. Stephen's Day (the day after Christmas) a few months after he cut down the tree. This was a defining moment for Maureen O'Hanlon who was later to become Kinky.

Taylor manages to put a lot of Irish history and folklore into this tale which made it even more interesting to me. There are also recipes for traditional Irish dishes because Kinky is a great cook. This was a perfect book to read at this time of year because Kinky reminisces about her early life while preparing Christmas dinner for her doctors. I could almost smell the turkey roasting and the brussel sprouts steaming. ( )
  gypsysmom | Dec 22, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
This is a story about a girl a farmers daughter growing up in the emerald hills and glens of county cork. she has a head full of dreams , a heart open to romance and something more a gift for seeing beyond the ordinary. into the mistic world of fairies, spirts, and even the dreaded Banshee, as she grows into a young women she finds herself torn between love and her fondest aspirations. an interesting and very enjoyable coming of age story. ( )
  Georgiann | Jun 10, 2014 |
Another great tale in the Irish Country series; this is the fourth book in the series but it isn't really about the doctors. This story - An Irish Country GIRL - is about Mrs. Kinky Kincade (Dr. O'Reiley's housekeeper) and, mostly, about her experience as a late teen and young woman and the story of the Saint Stephens Ghost. I thought this was a great tale and was well done. I got quite drawn in and emotionally invested in the story. Highly recommended. ( )
  plunkinberry | Oct 15, 2013 |
To Dorothy
"Run along, make your calls, and enjoy His Lordship's booley," said Mrs. Maureen Kincaid, "Kinky" to her friends, as she knelt in the hall and sponged Ribena black-currant cordial from a small boy's tweed overcoat.

Readers of Patrick Taylor's books know Mrs Kinky Kincaid as the unflappable housekeeper who looks after two frequently frazzled doctors. A trusted fixture in the colorful Irish village of Ballybucklebo, it often sees as though Kinky has always been there.

But Kinky Kincaid was once Maureen O'Hanlon, a farmer's daughter growing up in County Cork. Maureen had a head full of dreams, a heart open to romance, and something more: a gift for seeing into the mystic realm of fairies, spirits, and even the feared banshee, whose wail she first heard one snowy night in 1922 ....

As she grows into a young woman, Marueen finds herself torn between love and her dreams, for the future is a mystery even to one blessed with the sight. After encountering both joy and sorrow, Maureen at last finds herself on the road to Balybucklebo - and the strong and compassionate woman she was always destined to become.

Presents the story of the early life of Kinky Kincaid, once known as Maureen O'Hanlon, a farmer's daughter growing up in the hills and glens of 1920s County Cork, Ireland, who had a gift for seeing faries, spirits, and the dreaded banshee.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,866,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible