The Christmas Secret by Donna VanLiere

The Christmas Secret

by Donna VanLiere

1971387,628 (3.81)2

The Christmas secret by Donna VanLiere
Story follows a woman, Kristy with teo children and an ex husband who doesn't pay child support. She's sturggling through holiday season to not only support them but keep her job and kids watched while working at the department store.
Also story follows a man-a relative of the owner of the department store and he's not quite adjusted to the work he's asked to do.
She ends up losing her job, DCYF visits and things are not going at all. Things get worse before they get better.
Like how the story combines the same people and there is joy during the season... Jason has to find the woman he had fired because she saved Judy's life-but she had been late for work. Love hearing of GLoria's Place, such a worthwhile place and things they do for others there.
Amazing how everyone is connected, love hearing about the secret.
  jbarr5 | Sep 7, 2018 |
During the holidays, a struggling, young single mom of two loses her job and faces eviction from her home, plus battles with her ex-husband over visitation and child support. But the season of miracles has Christine believing in goodness again when she is hired on at Betty's Bakery, meets a handsome customer with his own internal conflicts and makes new friends who secretly and not-so-secretly help dislodge the boulder in the middle of her life's road. Family secrets are also unexpectedly revealed but all for the good. Christine's "miracles" too conveniently fall into place like dominoes in a line, and the romantic interest Jason came off as two different people, making the chemistry less believable for me. For those who appreciate a light, inspirational, feel-good story about the spirit of giving and humanity. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I really do like a good Christmas story and I do like Donna VanLiere but all of her stories make me tear up. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
The Christmas Secret is the first book I have read/listened to by Donna VanLiere, but it won’t be the last. In fact, I downloaded another of her Christmas novellas as soon as I finished this one. Filled with humor and heart, this novel points to the need for helping hands — extending them and accepting them. The cast of characters are fun — I want them as my friends (and family) too! I laughed out loud and I shed a few tears while enjoying this heartwarming story. And as the title suggests there are a number of secrets that are revealed along the way. You’ll have to decide just which one touches your heart the most. There are a few mild curse words in the book, but that did not keep me from giving this one a recommended designation. The author reads this audiobook and that is perfect! All in all The Christmas Secret is a great holiday read.

Recommended.

Audience: adults. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Dec 22, 2015 |
The Christmas Secret by Donna VanLiere
#5 Christmas Hope series

Cozy, feel-good Christmas story about a 27yo single mother, Christine Eisley, who is struggling to make ends meet. No matter how hard she tries, it seems that there is always something to hinder her progress. Often enough, it is her ex-husband, who refuses to pay any child support to care for their two children and seems to spend all his time spying on her and finding ways to bring her back to court over the care of the children. She also struggles with balancing getting extra hours at work and juggling different sitters. Her main sitter often shows up late or cancels at the last minute, causing Christy late arrivals at work. The final straw for her boss was when she showed up late after giving CPR to a woman who collapsed in her driveway. He fires her, but this turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

Christy finds a new job at Betty's Bakery, where she becomes acquainted with the "regulars", a mixed cast of characters which represents the good people of the town. They will all become important to Christy and help her through her difficulties.

The owner of Wilson's Department Store, Marshall Wilson, has invited his 24yo grandson, Jason, to come back to town and work at his store until he finds another accounting position. He's been out of work for three months and takes his grandpa up on his offer even though he feels he is overqualified. He is self-centered and it takes some concerted effort by Marshall to teach Jason the importance of interacting with and giving to others. Jason is encouraged to volunteer at Glory's Place, where single mothers can leave their children while they are at work. Jason connects easily with the children. This position helps him see that he has other useful gifts besides just being an accountant. Jason, of course, sees Christy in the bakery and they both are drawn to each other and flirt with each other like nervous teenagers, but through a comedy of errors and misunderstandings caused by job changes, new co-workers, scrambled messages, etc., the two of them don't even learn each others' names until the end of the book.

In this story, we are able to watch two different people at a crossroads in their lives and see how the people around them help them through and bring them together at a time when they are finally ready to give hope a chance.

Cute story. I was drawn to the secondary characters and the little town more than to the two main characters, and although I really liked and admired Christy, I had a hard time believing in the quick turn-around by Jason. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Dec 20, 2015 |

When a struggling young single mother saves the life of an elderly woman, she sets into motion a series of events that will test her strength, loyalty, and determination, all the while setting her on the path to finding true love. Christine Eisley is the mother of seven-year-old Zach and five-year-old Haley. Her ex-husband provides little, if any, child support and makes life difficult for Christine by using the children as pawns. She works long hours as a waitress to make ends meet, but her job is in jeopardy because she’s often late to work due to the unreliable teenaged sitters she’s forced to use. When Christine saves the life of a woman who works in Wilson’s department store, the owner of Wilson’s wants to find her, to thank her, but Christine has disappeared, losing another job once again. He sets his grandson, Jason, to the task of finding the mysterious “Christy.” Jason, an accountant by trade who has lost his job to downsizing, thinks he is “above” working at Wilson’s. Soon, he discovers that this new task gives him more than he bargains for. The Christmas Secret is a novel for anyone who wants to see how love is a gift that keeps giving back; that hope is a treasure that never runs dry, and that faith is a miracle that is reborn with each new day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

Working long hours to make ends meet while struggling to protect her children from their manipulative father, Christine Eisley saves the life of an elderly department-store employee and sets in motion a series of events that leads her to a new relationship.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,578,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible