The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke

The Last Stormlord (2009)

by Glenda Larke

Series: Watergivers (1), Stormlord Trilogy (1)

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb (bruceandceals)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (majkia)
    majkia: another coming of age book where young boy and young girl find they are more than they seem.
    Dragonclaw by Kate Forsyth (KimarieBee)

Shale is from the poorest village in the heart of the desert, Terelle is a slave fleeing a life as a courtesan and the Stormlord is dying. Without the Stormlord who will control the clouds and bring the water to the people. And why have the people who have both the natural ability and the training to take his place, all been taken in one way or another. Without a Stormlord the country will wither and the people die of thirst. An interesting story, but there is so much detail that I just skimmed over a lot of the passages. The book could have had about a quarter of that extra detail edited out and then it would have been really good. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Apr 20, 2015 |
Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Great book if you like fantasy you will enjoy this ( )
  jayblac21 | May 11, 2014 |
Wheee! What a great read and a great tale. This story has everything I love about epic fantasy. A unique and well defined magic system. Characters I could both love and hate. A well written and fully realized world I could literally lose myself in. Fantasy just doesn’t get any better then this.
Full Review Here ( )
  Mulluane | Jul 20, 2013 |
2.0-2.5 stars

I just couldn't buy an entire civilization that refused to seek out new horizons, explore beyond the status quo of barely enough water to survive in a desert, enabling themselves like addicts completely dependent on their next fix of water from their stormlord. I admit, the water magic system intrigued, but did not wow me. It reminded me of a psi-power system more so than an actual magic system.

All the characters fairly brimmed with potential to entice me to care about their predicaments and futures. Something just didn't gel though, beyond the normal revulsion for obviously despicable villains and those cowardly scheming opportunists that waffle in the wind. The good characters lacked something, but I can't put my finger on it. Convincing passion? Believable choices? Inspired intelligence?

Finishing the book was a relief. I could finally close the cover and not be beaten over the head with power plays and prison metaphors any longer.

For such a thick tome, I experienced no hindrance to a fairly fast read. Not a lot of subtlety or depth to ponder.

I doubt I'll ever re-read this and won't likely continue the series, unless GoodReads reviews by friends proves the next installment aspires to a higher plain of fantastic fiction. ( )
  mossjon | Apr 1, 2013 |

Glenda Larkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sam Griffiths, May you always know the joy of reading
It was the last night of her childhood.

Shale is the lowest of the low-an outcast from a poor village in the heart of the desert. In the desert water is life, and currency, and Shale has none. But he has a secret. It's the one thing that keeps him alive and may save all the cities of the Quartern in the days to come. If it doesn't get him killed first...

Terelle is a slave fleeing a life as a courtesan. She finds shelter in the home of an elderly painter but as she learns the strange and powerful secrets of his art she fears she may have traded a life of servitude for something far more perilous...

The Stormlord is dying in his tower and there is no one, by accident or design, to take his place. He brings the rain from the distant seas to his people. Without a Stormlord, the cities of the Quartern will wither and die.

Their civilization is at the brink of disaster. If Shale and Terelle can find a way to save themselves, they may just save them all. Water is life and the wells are running dry...

The Stormlord's heirs lack the talent to bring water from the distant seas and young students with a certain promise tend to die, mysteriously, out in the wastes. Shale may be the saviour of every life in the Quartern. He can do what no mere Rainlord can, and may be the newest, and the last, Stormlord -- if he can learn to control the waters of life and, of course, if he lives that long.… (more)

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316069159, 1841498114

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,875,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible