The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke

The Last Stormlord (2009)

by Glenda Larke

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (majkia)
    majkia: another coming of age book where young boy and young girl find they are more than they seem.
    Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb (bruceandceals)

Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Great book if you like fantasy you will enjoy this ( )
  jayblac21 | May 11, 2014 |
Wheee! What a great read and a great tale. This story has everything I love about epic fantasy. A unique and well defined magic system. Characters I could both love and hate. A well written and fully realized world I could literally lose myself in. Fantasy just doesn’t get any better then this.
Full Review Here ( )
  Mulluane | Jul 20, 2013 |
2.0-2.5 stars

I just couldn't buy an entire civilization that refused to seek out new horizons, explore beyond the status quo of barely enough water to survive in a desert, enabling themselves like addicts completely dependent on their next fix of water from their stormlord. I admit, the water magic system intrigued, but did not wow me. It reminded me of a psi-power system more so than an actual magic system.

All the characters fairly brimmed with potential to entice me to care about their predicaments and futures. Something just didn't gel though, beyond the normal revulsion for obviously despicable villains and those cowardly scheming opportunists that waffle in the wind. The good characters lacked something, but I can't put my finger on it. Convincing passion? Believable choices? Inspired intelligence?

Finishing the book was a relief. I could finally close the cover and not be beaten over the head with power plays and prison metaphors any longer.

For such a thick tome, I experienced no hindrance to a fairly fast read. Not a lot of subtlety or depth to ponder.

I doubt I'll ever re-read this and won't likely continue the series, unless GoodReads reviews by friends proves the next installment aspires to a higher plain of fantastic fiction. ( )
  mossjon | Apr 1, 2013 |
This book sounds and looks exciting. It's cover emblazoned with lightning and the silhouette of what appears to be a magic-wielder standing at the forefront. Could this be the titular character that the cover proudly proclaims to be "The Last Stormlord"?

I Don't Know. It's never really mentioned who the character on the cover is. Probably not either of the stormlords in the book. One is old and frail, and the other... well, it just isn't likely. But it's impressive anyway.

What's not so impressive is the start of the book. It doesn't begin with Shale, the main character, but the girl Terenelle. This character is also fairly important, and my favourite character, but Shale is not introduced until what I felt was quite far into the book. Before that it seemed that each chapter was about different places and characters, to the point where I found myself a little confused.

However, starting from the chapter after Shale is introduced, the whole story begins to make more sense. The plot is original and interesting. It quickly becomes a highly intriguing story of class and politics, which in many ways reflects our own world.

But it is the characters that make this book difficult to put down. Shale is smart, and curious, making us look forwards to seeing what he'll discover. Terenelle on the other hand, while also clever, is strongly emotional, and incredibly easy to become attached to. These are some of the best characters I have seen in some time.

It's a long book, but if you have a bit of time I'd say this would be a good book to fill it. It seems a bit confusing at first, but the storylines come together nicely, and the characterisation is superb. ( )
  AdamBourke | Dec 17, 2010 |
For Sam Griffiths, May you always know the joy of reading
It was the last night of her childhood.

Shale is the lowest of the low-an outcast from a poor village in the heart of the desert. In the desert water is life, and currency, and Shale has none. But he has a secret. It's the one thing that keeps him alive and may save all the cities of the Quartern in the days to come. If it doesn't get him killed first...

Terelle is a slave fleeing a life as a courtesan. She finds shelter in the home of an elderly painter but as she learns the strange and powerful secrets of his art she fears she may have traded a life of servitude for something far more perilous...

The Stormlord is dying in his tower and there is no one, by accident or design, to take his place. He brings the rain from the distant seas to his people. Without a Stormlord, the cities of the Quartern will wither and die.

Their civilization is at the brink of disaster. If Shale and Terelle can find a way to save themselves, they may just save them all. Water is life and the wells are running dry...

The Stormlord's heirs lack the talent to bring water from the distant seas and young students with a certain promise tend to die, mysteriously, out in the wastes. Shale may be the saviour of every life in the Quartern. He can do what no mere Rainlord can, and may be the newest, and the last, Stormlord -- if he can learn to control the waters of life and, of course, if he lives that long.… (more)

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316069159, 1841498114

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,602,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible