Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
Eighteen-year-old Bitterblue, queen of Monsea, realizes her heavy responsibility and the futility of relying on advisors who surround her with lies as she tries to help her people to heal from the thirty-five-year spell cast by her father, a violent psychopath with mind-altering abilities.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Cpassmore)
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (Anonymous user)
    Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A. McKillip (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For code breaking an unknown language; for libraries of secrets.
    Deerskin by Robin McKinley (emperatrix)
    emperatrix: similar themes, both are dark YA novels about girls overcoming emotional struggles
    Shalador's Lady by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For inheriting the shattered remains of a kingdom.
    A Great and Terrible Beauty / Rebel Angels / The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray (cablesclasses)
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: And now for something completely different...

English (184)  German (2)  All languages (186)
Not quite as good as Graceling, and I found the amount of things she didn't know a bit annoying, as well as all the people lying to her. I know that's the basis of the story and it was supposed to be annoying, but it threw me off and I didn't enjoy the book as much. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
I adored this YA book about a young queen trying to rule while facing troublemakers and unknowables on every side. As the third book set in Cashore's world, Bitterblue grows the setting and the characters while wrapped up in a tight plot. I think it's my favorite in the series, because it doesn't focus too much on romance, it ties up its loose ends, it shows characters from new perspectives, and it is yet another strong female lead. The only piece that didn't quite ring true to me was the introduction of yet another queer pairing in the background -- not that the pairing felt wrong, but that the rate is awfully high for straight rich folks to be friends with even today, much less in quasi-medieval Europe. Regardless, I was absolutely unable to put this book down. The plot and tensions rock. I highly recommend this series for folks who enjoy YA fantasy. ( )
  pammab | Jan 10, 2020 |
I'm giving this a 4.5.

This is probably my favorite of the series, with Graceling, then Fire following...

I normally am not the kind of person to enjoy political undertones in stories, however I actually felt for the causes that were presented in Bitterblue. Cashore made them feel real and I wanted what Bitterblue wanted.

I also thought the characters were well-rounded and I liked their backstories. I would have wanted to see more with Teddy and things end up differently with Saf, but that is Cashore's style and I really liked how it ended.

I won't say more, however I really did love this book. It will be a rereadable one. ( )
  mdunagan | Dec 3, 2019 |
The rating of this book is a hard choice, once again.

As I already said in my reviews of Graceling and Fire, the star of these books is not the story, not even the world, but the characters. The same is true for this book.

I also liked the setting of the book, because, for the first time, the main character has no unusual powers (apart from being queen, of course). The book explores the way different people deal with the horrors of their past, combined with an 18-year-old queen struggling with ruling a country that has just come out of a terrible era.

The new supporting characters are all written very well, I especially like Death, the librarian. And the book gets bonus points for featuring cryptography cryptography as a main topic, and using it really well.

And once again, there is the dilemma of deciding between four and five stars. I'll go with four, but once again, please don't let that discourage you from reading the series. It is written really well, and I would recommend it. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
I'm almost done with Bitterblue.. But to be fair, I have been for a looong time. It's just that.. From page 399 onwards I just kind of.. Got bored.

Truly. No joke.

BUT!
I have found Katsa in our world..:

Get it? Katsa? Like Cat? .. No? .. Okay :/
..Plus the whole different coloured eye thing?

I suppose my humour is kind of.. unique huh? Oh well..

Over & Out, T xx
  RichlyWritten | Sep 23, 2019 |

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elbrick, XantheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kelly, JenniferDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, IanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one was always for Dorothy
When he grabs Mama's wrist and yanks her toward the wall-hanging like that, it must hurt.

Eight years after Graceling, Bitterblue is now queen of Monsea. But the influence of her father, a violent psychopath with mind-altering abilities, lives on. Her advisors, who have run things since Leck died, believe in a forward-thinking plan: Pardon all who committed terrible acts under Leck's reign, and forget anything bad ever happened. But when Bitterblue begins sneaking outside the castle--disguised and alone--to walk the streets of her own city, she starts realizing that the kingdom has been under the thirty-five-year spell of a madman, and the only way to move forward is to revisit the past.

Two thieves, who only steal what has already been stolen, change her life forever. They hold a key to the truth of Leck's reign. And one of them, with an extreme skill called a Grace that he hasn't yet identified, holds a key to her heart.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kristin Cashore's book Bitterblue was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,347,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible