Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
2012 (46) 2013 (19) adventure (21) ARC (12) ciphers (9) ebook (14) family (15) fantasy (294) fiction (89) friendship (15) Graceling (27) Kristin Cashore (9) library (12) magic (36) mystery (17) own (13) politics (19) queens (10) read (20) read in 2012 (25) romance (40) royalty (19) series (46) sff (12) signed (10) teen (13) to-read (64) YA (107) young adult (117) young adult fiction (14)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Cpassmore)
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (Anonymous user)
    Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A. McKillip (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For code breaking an unknown language; for libraries of secrets.
    Deerskin by Robin McKinley (emperatrix)
    emperatrix: similar themes, both are dark YA novels about girls overcoming emotional struggles
    Shalador's Lady by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For inheriting the shattered remains of a kingdom.
    A Great and Terrible Beauty / Rebel Angels / The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray (bluemom)
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: And now for something completely different...

English (126)  German (2)  All languages (128)
First, I have seen in several places people suggesting that you could read this book without having read Graceling and Fire. That may be true-ish, but I would highly recommend reading them in order: Graceling, Fire, then Bitterblue. Cashore is building a world here, and Bitterblue is really a continuation of that world, and I think it would be a more rewarding read if read in the order published.

My expectations were sky high for this book. I gave it 5 stars, so clearly I was not dissapointed. Cashore is a very good writer and a particularly excelent character builder. I also love that she does not seem possessed with the obsession of abandoning her readers to cliff-hangers as so many current authors feel the need to do. Her books have a begining, middle and ending. A true ending! It is so very satisfying to read a complete book! To have all those loose ends tied up! To not think to yourself every time she publishes a book, "Aw, now I have to go re-read all the previous books so I'm not lost!"

I don't want to say much about the story, but I will mention that is does cover some very disturbing and uncomfortable topics. It is handeled well and I think as long as you go into it knowing that it gets heavy, you will be OK. Although, if you have read the first two, you know by now that Bitterblue's story is bound to be distrubing. Of course, it is quite a beautiful story as well. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
I really like this book. Some bad things happen and it’s about the aftermath of even more horrible things, but even though many of the characters are action types (some recognizable from Graceling), the story is actually about thinking and talking. And feeling. It’s about Bitterblue figuring out who she can trust and who is betraying her. About her figuring out what questions to ask - and, perhaps just as importantly, what questions not to ask.

For anyone interested in reading this, it should have trigger warnings attached: there is some pretty disturbing imagery in this book, including references to physical, psychological, and sexual abuses that happened during Leck’s reign. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Apr 4, 2014 |
I think this book should make a great read for teenagers who are into fantasy reads. It’s clear from all the detail about the world this series is set in that Ms. Cashore has done substantive research to give it that great high fantasy feel, although I think it has certain elements that a lot of paranormal books do as well.
However, I do understand why some people were extremely disappointed by this book, especially those who had to wait for this to be published after reading Fire. It is a let down because primarily, not much happens according to the plot. I think if Cashore ever wants to continue with this series, a great idea would be to delve into Ashen (I think that’s her name, Bitterlue’s mum) and Leck’s time and relationship. I was more intrigued by their story than what was happening in Bitterblue’s time throughout the book.

Cashore really tried to drill into the mind that the bad guys didn’t really exist and were brainwashed by Leck to do his bidding. So how would one handle such criminals? This make an interesting topic and I think the readers as a whole are divided between punishing them straight or giving them leeway since it is a form of mental illness that they had incurred. I didn’t enjoy the Katsa and Po characteriziation at all, mainly because I felt as though it didn’t match the Katsa and Po from Graceling. I understand they went through a lot over the years, but I mean they were just far too different that I felt I wasn’t even reading about Katsa and Po. But the Fire cameo was very very appreciated, such a BAMF even after so many decades.

Overall a decent high fantasy paranormal read, but half the book especially the set up could have been shortened since not much happened. Did I mention Bitterblue’s love interest? No, ok well he was cool in the beginning, became funny and witty in the middle, then redundant and boring at the end so I really couldn’t care less about him. Book rating, Ravenclaw read 4/5.

Random Question of the Blog: how do you entertain kids at family gatherings? I usually put some movie on but their attention span is only so large.
  bubblyair | Mar 25, 2014 |
What an awesome read Bitterblue was for me I really did loved and enjoyed it a lot. I really missed reading about the seven kingdoms especially about Katsa and Po but now we read it through Bitterblue pov which I love and adore Bitterblue in Graceling it has pass 8 years and Bitterblue is 18 years old and she is struggling to make her kingdom right again after her evil father King Leck reign and it is not easy she has to go through stories, lies and puzzles to get to the truth from what her father has done to his kingdom and his people, and when she finds out the truth it has literally crush her and she thinks she is not strong enough to be a queen but she meets Fire and she tells and make Bitterblue understand that she is a very strong queen and she is the rightly perfect queen for Monsea. That's all I am going to tell you because I don't want to spoil anything else from the book.

Bitterblue also meets new friends and a Graceling that at first he didn't now what his Grace was until Bitterblue help him figure it out for him. I really did love all the characters and secondary characters in Bitterblue especially Giddon I just love and adore Giddon and I love that Bitterblue formed an amazing friendship with him and he was the first person she ever trusted in a friend they formed a beautiful bond! All and All an amazing ending to a wonderful trilogy until next time my friends! ( )
  Katiria_Rodriguez | Mar 19, 2014 |
Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore is the conclusion to the Graceling trilogy and I’m definitely late to the game on this one ;-). I listened to the entire trilogy on audiobook though and do recommend them if you’re like me and still catching up on this awesome fantasy series! One of the big things to know about Bitterblue and the previous books, however, is that they are much more like companion novels than a continuous trilogy. Each book is about a different character and while Bitterblue relies on events that occurred previously, it’s set years in the future and so you probably could easily read it without having read the previous books. I listened to the previous two books over a year ago and only kind of remember them, so it worked out for me in any case ;-).
Note: I listened to Bitterblue on audio and that definitely influences my opinion on the book.

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
Narrated by Xanthe Elbrick
(Graceling Realm #3)
Published by Dial on May 1st, 2012
Genres: Fantasy, YA
Length: 563 pages
How I got my copy: Purchased
IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog
Bitterblue is now queen of Monsea, still under the influence of her father Leck, a violent psychopath who altered minds. Her advisers want to pardon evildoers and forget everything, but she sees the past holds fast. Two thieves, who only steal what has been stolen, hold the truth and change her life. One, his Grace skill unidentified, has a key to her heart.

Strengths:
Bitterblue is a much different book than Fire and Graceling, which made me happy. I was impressed that Cashore was able to write such a character-driven book without her typical kick-butt heroine from the previous books.
I loved that Bitterblue brought the whole trilogy together even though it is set so apart from the other books. Katsa and Fire both play big roles and a lot of the questions we were left with about a certain evil mind-reader are pursued in Bitterblue.
I loooooved the mysteries of Bitterblue City and all of the strange things that Bitterblue keeps encountering and needs to figure out. Bitterblue the girl is also so like me in her need to make lists to figure out how everything fits together ;-). Lists are the best!
Bitterblue is pretty low on the romance but it was just the right amount for me. I enjoyed that Bitterblue had priorities other than a pretty boy given that she is a queen and all! That doesn’t mean that she doesn’t have feelings that she has to deal with on her down time though ;-).
Bitterblue has a great narrator who fit Bitterblue’s character quite well. While Graceling is full-cast audio, Bitterblue has just one narrator, which seems to be a bit more common.
Since the book is so character driven, it was pretty important for Bitterblue to be a strong character and I enjoyed her a lot! She is smart and strong, but very realistic in her difficulties of ruling a country that has been torn apart by the previous king, not to mention the horrors that she and her mother endured when her father was still ruling.
Weaknesses:
The plot is kind of all over the place given the character-driven nature of Bitterblue. I didn’t really know what the actual plot was going to end up being until half-way through I’d say. Things just kind of happen for a while.
After 2/3 of the book, Bitterblue gets SUPER TRIGGERY. Horrible things happened during Leck’s rule, including physical and sexual abuse to an absolutely terrifying degree. It was difficult to listen to sections where these things were revealed so be sure you are prepared.
The narrator’s voices for different characters were inconsistent, which disappointed me. I like it when I can realize which character is talking just by the voice, but that wasn’t the case with Bitterblue.
Despite my general approval of Bitterblue’s character, she can get a bit whiny at times. I just wanted her to toughen up a bit here and there, but I guess I wouldn’t have been much better given the situation >.>.
Summary:
Bitterblue is a very interesting conclusion to the Graceling trilogy. It’s quite different than the previous books, focusing on a character-driven plot with a very different heroine than Katsa and Fire. However, I still enjoyed Bitterblue for being different and for pulling the three books together in a rather fresh way. With the huge number of connected trilogies out there, it was fun to listen to three books that each stood on their own and were simply based in the same world. I wouldn’t say Bitterblue was my favorite of the three (Fire is for the record), but I’m very glad that I’ve finally finished these books! ( )
  anyaejo | Jan 7, 2014 |

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elbrick, XantheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kelly, JenniferDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, IanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one was always for Dorothy
When he grabs Mama's wrist and yanks her toward the wall-hanging like that, it must hurt.

Eight years after Graceling, Bitterblue is now queen of Monsea. But the influence of her father, a violent psychopath with mind-altering abilities, lives on. Her advisors, who have run things since Leck died, believe in a forward-thinking plan: Pardon all who committed terrible acts under Leck's reign, and forget anything bad ever happened. But when Bitterblue begins sneaking outside the castle--disguised and alone--to walk the streets of her own city, she starts realizing that the kingdom has been under the thirty-five-year spell of a madman, and the only way to move forward is to revisit the past.

Two thieves, who only steal what has already been stolen, change her life forever. They hold a key to the truth of Leck's reign. And one of them, with an extreme skill called a Grace that he hasn't yet identified, holds a key to her heart.

Eighteen-year-old Bitterblue, queen of Monsea, realizes her heavy responsibility and the futility of relying on advisors who surround her with lies as she tries to help her people to heal from the thirty-five-year spell cast by her father, a violent psychopath with mind-altering abilities.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,565,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible