Bitterblue (Graceling) by Kristin Cashore
Member:EscritoraSarita
Title:Bitterblue (Graceling)
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Other authors:Ian Schoenherr (Illustrator)
Info:Dial (2012), Hardcover, 576 pages
Tags:ARC, read in 2012, sff, ya

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Cpassmore)
    Fire by Kristin Cashore (Anonymous user)
    Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A. McKillip (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For code breaking an unknown language; for libraries of secrets.
    Deerskin by Robin McKinley (emperatrix)
    emperatrix: similar themes, both are dark YA novels about girls overcoming emotional struggles
    Shalador's Lady by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For inheriting the shattered remains of a kingdom.
    A Great and Terrible Beauty / Rebel Angels / The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray (cablesclasses)
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: And now for something completely different...

English (137)  German (2)  All languages (139)
Wonderful story and characters. I wasn't impressed with this one on my first reading, but I read it again for class last year and absolutely loved it. Has a great librarian character! ( )
  Dandeggan | Jun 26, 2015 |
[Note on format: This was my first time using a Playaway (Bitterblue was not available on CD or in mp3 from Overdrive). It worked okay mostly, but I checked out the print book also, for name and place spellings, and Ashen's embroidery symbols and Leck's Dellian script. There are also illustrations of the bridges, and a map.]

Queen Bitterblue doesn't feel like a queen; she doesn't feel that she truly has control over Monsea, but she doesn't realize just how much she doesn't know until she sneaks out of the castle in disguise one night and begins to explore the city on her own. Outside the castle, Bitterblue discovers the story rooms, where fablers tell tales from Leck's reign, and she meets Teddy and Saf, truth seekers. She quickly realizes that her trusted advisors haven't been completely straight with her about the condition of the city or its citizens, and she wants to make things right, but feels helpless. Bitterblue begins to explore inside the castle too, and discovers the library and Death (rhymes with "teeth"), the librarian, who is Graced with fast reading and perfect memory.

She also calls on her friends for support, including Council members Katsa, Po, Helda, Giddon, Bann, and Raffin. She learns that her mother Ashen embroidered in cipher, and begins to decode the messages Ashen left in her sheets and pillowcases; she also discovers Leck's journals, which are written in a completely new language that Death helps to decode. But it's not until a strange contingent from the east arrives that all of the pieces at last click into place.

Bitterblue was completely satisfying - a worthy sequel to Graceling and companion to Fire. I am sad to be finished reading them and I suspect I'll re-read at least Graceling.

I particularly loved the part where Bitterblue realizes that Leck's symbol alphabet is actually another language from another land; it reminded me of Jonas seeing color for the first time in The Giver.

Quotes

"Leck is still lodged in too many people's minds....His Grace is a sickness that lingers, a nightmare you must help people to forget." (King Ror of Lienid to Bitterblue, 19)

"The trouble lies with the blanket pardons, Lady Queen. The blanket pardons, and the impossibility of ever proving, beyond doubt, that those who stole, stole for Leck and not for themselves." (Thiel to Bitterblue, 123)

"Truths are dangerous."
"Then why are you writing them in a book?"
"To catch them between the pages, and trap them before they disappear."
"If they're dangerous, why not let them disappear?"
"Because when truths disappear, they leave behind blank spaces, and that is also dangerous." (Teddy and Bitterblue, 173)

"Leck burned books?" (Bitterblue to Death (rhymes with Teeth) the librarian, 178)

She studied him for a moment, searching for an opening in the fortress of his face... (Bitterblue and Thiel, 186)

"Perhaps your Grace is fearlessness," she said.
"I'm afraid of plenty of things," he said. "I just do them anyway." (Bitterblue and Sapphire, aka Saf, 205)

"I never wished I was a mind reader before I knew you." (Saf to Bitterblue, 207)

"I don't believe I quite appreciated it before."
"Yes," Po said. "Well. Money does that. It's one of the privileges of wealth never to have to think about it, and one of the dangers too." (Bitterblue and Po, 269)

"But that's how memory works," Bitterblue said quietly. "Things disappear without your permission, then come back again without your permission." And sometimes they come back incomplete and warped. (Bitterblue to Helda, 316)

"I'm sorry, Lady Queen," she whispered. "It's hard not to hide. I'm so used to it."
"Perhaps it was unfair of me to ask."
"But it's a relief, Lady Queen," she whispered, "to let someone see me." (Hava and Bitterblue, 346)

"What I want is what I thought I had." (Saf to Bitterblue, 354)

"Every configuration of people is an entirely new universe unto itself." (Bann to Bitterblue, 375)

"It breaks my heart sometimes," Bitterblue said, "the things I can't remember..."
"One of Leck's cruelest legacies is that he left us unable to remember some things and unable to forget others. We are not masters of our minds." (Bitterblue and Thiel, 390)

"There are no limits to the ways people you think you know can astonish you." (healer Madlen to Bitterblue, 391)

Was there a right thing to do? Or only a thousand wrong things? (Bitterblue with Death, 407)

Well, none of it would ever end if she was too afraid for it to begin. (Bitterblue about to begin reading Leck's translated diary, 431)

"But it's history, Lady Queen," said Death.
"But, it's not," Bitterblue said. "In a hundred years it will be history. Now it's our own story."
"Our own story is even more important for us to know than history, Lady Queen." (Death and Bitterblue, 440)

"It wasn't fair that nearly a decade after his death, Leck was still killing people. Leck was still tormenting the same people he'd tormented; people were committing appalling acts in order to erase the appalling acts they'd already committed. (486)

"He accidentally filled [the castle] with art that tells the truth." (Bitterblue to Fire, 522)

My kingdom's challenge, she thought, is to balance knowing with healing. (537) ( )
  JennyArch | May 28, 2015 |
I want to love everything about these books, but they just keep coming up a little short for me. Yes, I appreciate that Cashore is writing young adult fantasy romances that turns the tropes of all three genres on their heads, but my appreciation can't cover awkward dialogue, inconsistent characters, and plots that make me feel like I'm on a treadmill.

So close! And yet so far. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
I enjoyed this the best of the three, mostly for Bitterblue herself, for the prose, and for the complicated, rich relationships between the characters.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
This is my first review, though I have thought of writing others. I guess I decided to put my thoughts down because this book is very different from the author's previous ones. That being said, I also felt that the other reviews came down to hate it or love it (the few one I read before reading the book, of course I didn't read all of them).
I really, really liked it.
The way Kristin Cashore writes is a relief, because each book is different from the others. And even though they're never written in the first person, you can feel the difference because each book is centered on different people with different experiences in life.
It starts very slow and there's a feeling of too much building up to what really matters, but about, maybe, halfway through the book it hooked me. I couldn't stop reading because I had to know how it ended.
It's a much darker book than the others (Graceling was about not fitting in and breaking out; Fire about not fitting in and accepting who you are; Bitterblue, more mature, about right and wrong and how to heal and about how somethings can never be put to right), and I loved the way Cashore didn't shy away from the bad things. Which I found kind of funny because this time she shied away from the more romantic stuff, which she hadn't done in Graceling and Fire.
The twists and turns, the OMG moments in this book were amazing. I can usualy spot whether a character is going to follow this or that path in a book (it was completely obvious for me on the other two) but this time, I was surprised about some characters until, for instance, when Bitterblue walks in on Fox holding her mother's sheets, and others I only got an inkling near the end like, Madlen. And of course I loved seeing Katsa and Po and Fire again, even as minor characters. It was great to see how they'd grown in some ways, but in others (in their core)they were still the same characters I fell in love with in the previous books.
I could have loved it, and if I had done this review before the last "chapter" of the book, then that's probably what I would have put it as. But the ending...it's what ruined it for me. I don't care if it leaves somethings open to imagination, as on Graceling or Fire, but this ending? Completely open. And I am not a fan of cliffhangers, which I'll admit was only in terms of the love story. The story itself was done, but that tiny "little" thread that was left hanging loose? I don't like it.
If there was a way to be sure that Kristin Cashore would write the rest of Bitterblue's story (and I can see how she might as there were thousands of possibilities open at the end of the book), then I guess it wouldn't be so bad. Being the way it is (3 years between Fire and Bitterblue, and Bitterblue giving Cashore so much trouble to write), I'm not optimistic.
In the end, 5 for story, 3 for romance, and I have to cut half a star for the cliffhanger. ( )
  rachellimalopes | Oct 27, 2014 |

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elbrick, XantheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kelly, JenniferDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, IanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one was always for Dorothy
When he grabs Mama's wrist and yanks her toward the wall-hanging like that, it must hurt.

Eight years after Graceling, Bitterblue is now queen of Monsea. But the influence of her father, a violent psychopath with mind-altering abilities, lives on. Her advisors, who have run things since Leck died, believe in a forward-thinking plan: Pardon all who committed terrible acts under Leck's reign, and forget anything bad ever happened. But when Bitterblue begins sneaking outside the castle--disguised and alone--to walk the streets of her own city, she starts realizing that the kingdom has been under the thirty-five-year spell of a madman, and the only way to move forward is to revisit the past.

Two thieves, who only steal what has already been stolen, change her life forever. They hold a key to the truth of Leck's reign. And one of them, with an extreme skill called a Grace that he hasn't yet identified, holds a key to her heart.

Eighteen-year-old Bitterblue, queen of Monsea, realizes her heavy responsibility and the futility of relying on advisors who surround her with lies as she tries to help her people to heal from the thirty-five-year spell cast by her father, a violent psychopath with mind-altering abilities.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,855,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible