The Recipe Club: A Novel About Food and…

The Recipe Club: A Novel About Food and Friendship (edition 2010)

by Andrea Israel, Nancy Garfinkel

Title:The Recipe Club: A Novel About Food and Friendship
Authors:Andrea Israel
Other authors:Nancy Garfinkel
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages

The Recipe Club: A Tale of Food and Friendship by Andrea Israel

English (39)  German (1)  All languages (40)
Another story told thru letters and emails and recipes. Our book group read this for our November selection. We chose to have each member make a recipe from the book. Do not follow the recipe for Zucchini Bread it needs an adjustment in the liquid. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
This book was a bit of a letdown. I think the authors could've done a much better job, maybe they shouldn't have used the letter-exchange format for the majority of the book, that kind of writing requires a lot of skill and creativity to successfully pull off.

I guessed that the girls had the same father well before the letter was read after his death--there were numerous clues, especially the entry in her mother's journal that Val found, dated not long before Val was born. That seemed fairly obvious, but Val didn't seem to blink at all just wondered what her mom was talking about...

The recipes, which were the part I was most looking forward to, seemed average and already familiar, and the letters and recipes seemed very contrived--too much of a stretch in my opinion.

I wish I had enjoyed the story more, it definitely had potential.

twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
I LOVE this book it was VERY hard for me to put it down , It has many interesting and tasty recipes. I highly recommend the sangria recipe , It was VERY good! ( )
  LizzyRachel | Sep 16, 2015 |
Lilly and Val are childhood friends with complicated parents. Val's mother is agoraphobic and Lilly's father is her psychiatrist, who takes a vested interest in Val's education and future. They grow up in the late 1960's and into the 70's. At a young age, they create "The Recipe Club"- just the two of them, exchanging recipes back and forth. The format of the book is primarily letters between the two, including the recipes.

I suppose this book is sweet, but it feels very predictable and cliche. The writing is average and the story is... okay. It's good for a break from some heavier reading. ( )
  amaryann21 | Jul 7, 2014 |
Just couldn't really like this book, very slow and ended each chapter with some recipes I couldn't imagine a kid could be bothered with. I've read a lot of books centered around people cooking and this won't be on my favorite list. ( )
  mchwest | May 11, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061992291, Paperback)

Loyalty, loss, and the ties that bind: These are the ingredients of The Recipe Club, a "novel cookbook" that combines an authentic story of friendship with more than eighty delicious recipes.

Lifelong friends Lilly and Val are united as much by their differences as by their similarities. In childhood, "LillyPad" and "ValPal" form an exclusive two-person club, writing intimate letters in which they share hopes, fears, deepest secrets . . . and recipes—from Lilly's "Lovelorn Lasagna" to Valerie's "Forgiveness Tapenade." The Recipe Club sustains Lilly and Val's bond across the decades: through the challenges of independence, the joys and heartbreaks of first love, and the emotional complexities of family relationships, identity, mortality, and goals deferred—until the fateful day when an act of kindness becomes an unforgivable betrayal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Lilly and Val, friends from childhood, reveal their feelings, secrets, and recipes through a series of letters, until a misunderstanding separates them for years and a death forces them to decide if they want to reconcile.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Recipe Club by israelandreaandgarfi was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,749,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible