The Recipe Club: A Novel About Food and…

The Recipe Club: A Novel About Food and Friendship (edition 2010)

by Andrea Israel, Nancy Garfinkel

Member:sagustocox
Title:The Recipe Club: A Novel About Food and Friendship
Authors:Andrea Israel
Other authors:Nancy Garfinkel
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***

The Recipe Club: A Tale of Food and Friendship by Andrea Israel

English (38)  German (1)  All languages (39)
Lilly and Val are childhood friends with complicated parents. Val's mother is agoraphobic and Lilly's father is her psychiatrist, who takes a vested interest in Val's education and future. They grow up in the late 1960's and into the 70's. At a young age, they create "The Recipe Club"- just the two of them, exchanging recipes back and forth. The format of the book is primarily letters between the two, including the recipes.

I suppose this book is sweet, but it feels very predictable and cliche. The writing is average and the story is... okay. It's good for a break from some heavier reading. ( )
  amaryann21 | Jul 7, 2014 |
Just couldn't really like this book, very slow and ended each chapter with some recipes I couldn't imagine a kid could be bothered with. I've read a lot of books centered around people cooking and this won't be on my favorite list. ( )
  mchwest | May 11, 2013 |
Eh....wasn't real impressed. Titles often lead me astray and this was just another one of those times when a title and story about food and friendship did just that.

The friendship between these two characters was rather annoying, one sided and co-dependent at the same time. And the recipies, none of them even tempted me. What a disappointment that was.

I gave it the 1/2 star because the last few pages of the book finally made me laugh out loud. Should have been more of that. ( )
  thingtwo | Sep 13, 2011 |
I finished this book so it can't have been too bad, but rather too introspectively 'American' for my liking. The chapters of the novel each ended with a recipe which has been woven into the story. Maybe try the library rather than taking up precious book budget and permanent shelf space.
  Carrie.deSilva | Aug 28, 2011 |
At first glance, The Recipe Club has an intriguing premise. Two lifelong friends, Lilly and Val, grow up together, writing each other cozy little letters all the time. They are within visiting distance of each other, but they seem to enjoy writing to each other on the side. They decide to form club, The Recipe Club, and included various recipes with their missives; delicious sounding things like Lovelorn Lasagna, Double Date Blintzes, and Cloud Nine Stuffed Peppers. All their recipes are included in the book and wow, some of them sound fantastic! The two friends are vastly different. Val is smart, shy, and ambitious. Lilly is dramatic, a real ‘show person’, who loves to sing, dance and act. Each girl struggles to find their place in the world, away from their parents, and seek solace and advice from each other. They sustain each other for many years, until something happens in their early twenties that tears the two close friends apart for over twenty years.

The epistolary framing is interesting here, but I’m not entirely convinced that it works. Being the 1906s, and being young, I can see where that would be fun. I had a good friend in school that I corresponded with constantly simply because we liked getting mail. And I have read several epistolary novels that I thoroughly enjoyed. In this case, however, I felt that it held back the characters just a bit. It made this a very quick read and I never felt entirely connected with the characters. It took me a long time to figure out who was who and which parent went with which kid. The letters were not a typical back and forth; sometimes three or four letters from one girl would be together. Then, about three-fourths of the way through the book, it abruptly changed to a more traditional third-person narrative and it was jarring. I almost felt lost, as my brain had to change gears a bit.

These were minor quibbles as I did enjoy the book. Once I figured out who was who, I came to care about Lilly and Val and wanted them to end happily. They felt like real friends, as both got on my nerves constantly, but not in a bad way! I suppose they reminded me a lot of me and my friends. I loved being reminded of my childhood friend and our love of writing letters to each other. It makes me want to grab a sheet of paper and write her a nice, long letter now! Don’t you miss letter writing, just a bit? There is something so romantic about taking pen to paper and writing your thoughts and feelings to someone you care about so much. It means so much more than just an email, or even a phone call, in my mind. Anyway, all in all, this is a nice, light, fun read for the beach or on a day when your brain may be a little bit tired. A fun read, to be sure. ( )
  capriciousreader | Aug 21, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061992291, Paperback)

Loyalty, loss, and the ties that bind: These are the ingredients of The Recipe Club, a "novel cookbook" that combines an authentic story of friendship with more than eighty delicious recipes.

Lifelong friends Lilly and Val are united as much by their differences as by their similarities. In childhood, "LillyPad" and "ValPal" form an exclusive two-person club, writing intimate letters in which they share hopes, fears, deepest secrets . . . and recipes—from Lilly's "Lovelorn Lasagna" to Valerie's "Forgiveness Tapenade." The Recipe Club sustains Lilly and Val's bond across the decades: through the challenges of independence, the joys and heartbreaks of first love, and the emotional complexities of family relationships, identity, mortality, and goals deferred—until the fateful day when an act of kindness becomes an unforgivable betrayal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:05 -0400)

Lilly and Val, friends from childhood, reveal their feelings, secrets, and recipes through a series of letters, until a misunderstanding separates them for years and a death forces them to decide if they want to reconcile.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Recipe Club by israelandreaandgarfi was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,297,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible