Child of the Civil Rights Movement (Junior…

Child of the Civil Rights Movement (Junior Library Guild Selection)

by Paula Young Shelton

Paula Young Shelton shares her memories of what life was like growing up in the south during the time of Jim Crow laws and the Civil Rights Movement. The illustrations are bright, colorful, and beautiful. A must read in the classroom when covering Civil Rights! ( )
  lbblackwell | Jul 30, 2014 |
When my parents were growing they had to follow Jim Crow laws. These laws made black people sit in the back of the bus and they couldn't vote. When I was born I didn't have Jim Crow around but I had something else. When we were watching the news we saw the freedom riders and the bus was set on fire. This is my parents decided we needed to go back to the heart of the civil movement. I had my first protest there. We were told we could not be seated at a restaurant so I cried and I didn't stop. One day during dinner I over heard my family talking about a march to protest Selma. We wanted to go so we packed up and off we went. Everyone was marching it was a lot of us. When we got home we watched the march on the news and I was so proud to be apart of it. We won the battle and it was not going to be the last one either. I know when my parents cant protest anymore we the children of the civil rights movement will. I would show this book to introduce the civil rights movement. ( )
  jaimie919 | Apr 22, 2013 |
Paula Young Shelton shares with the reader her memories as a child during the civil rights movement. As a daughter of an important figure of the movement, Shelton was witness to many of the meetings and participated in the marches. So many stories have been shared of the adults of that time. It is wonderful to hear the story of a young child's point of view. ( )
  AleciaDesselle | Feb 20, 2013 |
A very credible source Paula Young Shelton, the daughter of a Civil Rights leader, Andrew Young, and the honorary niece of Uncle Martin, Martin Luther King, Jr., told this story. She shared her perspective of the struggle for Civil Rights as she remembered it. It read like a poem. The style reminded me of Locomotion by Woodson. The illustrations were very soft and gentle, the colors seemed muted, which helped the reader to sympathize with the characters. Teaching ideas include a social studies 3-5 grade class and a unit on Dr. King or civil rights. She includes additional information about the people in the book as well as a bibliography. ( )
  lalfonso | Jan 19, 2013 |
A monumental moment was happening in history, and a little girl and family was in the mist of it all. Paula Young Shelton tells the story how a family picks up and move back down south to their home town. The parents wanted to be one of the many people walking the streets and voicing their opinions about the Civil Rights Movement. Shelton tells the story in the point of the littler girl, who had so much pride swelled within her to be apart of such a trying time for the country. ( )
  Janee23 | Nov 15, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375843140, Hardcover)

A Conversation Between Author Paula Young Shelton and Illustrator Raul Colón

We asked author Paula Young Shelton and illustrator Raul Colón to talk about Child of the Civil Rights Movement, Shelton's poignant and hopeful story of growing up in the midst of the Civil Rights Movement. Paula Young Shelton is the daughter of civil rights leader and former U.N. ambassador Andrew Young. She is a teacher in Washington, D.C., and a member of the National Black Child Development Institute. Raul Colón's work has appeared in numerous publications, but he is especially renowned for his children’s book illustrations, including My Mama Had A Dancing Heart, Sugar Cane: A Caribbean Rapunzel, Angela and the Baby Jesus, and As Good as Anybody. Read on to discover how Paula and Raul worked together to capture, through words and images, a pivotal moment in American history.

Raul Colón: Why did you write the book in the first place?

Paula Young Shelton: I got the idea for this book after telling my students stories about the civil rights movement as part of our study of Martin Luther King. They became so interested in hearing about my "Uncle Martin" that I realized it was a good way for young people to connect with Dr. King, and I started writing the stories down.

Raul Colón: Have you written any others before or since?

Paula Young Shelton: I have always loved to write and have written quite a few "yet to be published" stories. My first book was actually written as my master's thesis and I've got a few stories brewing now, so I hope to keep writing.

Raul Colón: Did you interview your family or any other folks to refresh your memory, since it all happened during your early childhood?

Paula Young Shelton: Absolutely, I talked a lot to my sisters about their memories and, of course, my dad.

Raul Colón: What was the procedure you followed in order to make time to write this story? Did you wake up early, or did you write at all times, say while you rode the train, etc.?

Paula Young Shelton: As a teacher, I get the summers off, so I did the majority of writing during the summer, when I can focus on it for long periods. With three kids, a husband, and a job, it's sometimes hard to find the time to write, so during the year I would write late at night, when the house is quiet. I'm more of a night owl than early bird.

Raul Colón: You seem ready for another picture book. How much did you enjoy this experience?

Paula Young Shelton: It has been a real thrill! All the things I dreaded, like working with an editor or an illustrator I didn't know, turned out to be great experiences. The editor, Anne Schwartz, was incredible and made me really appreciate watching her cut my work to pieces. She helped me to focus the story and really made it flow nicely.

As for the illustrator, I was blown away by the pictures you produced. Some of them were exactly how I had envisioned them in my mind's eye, and others were more beautiful than I could have imagined. I can't wait to do it all over again!

Raul, everyone loves the picture of the crow and it is such a powerful image. What made you draw the picture of the huge crow above the little girl's head like that?

Raul Colón: Initially I had thought of drawing a mean-looking face. But looking through some art book I had, I saw some interesting pictures of black crows and decided to use the visual pun for this piece.

Paula Young Shelton: Besides, of course, my book, what has been your favorite book to illustrate, and why?

Raul Colón: Besides your book, I have quite a few others I truly enjoyed. But I must say that the most significant book I illustrated was my first one, Always My Dad. It won accolades and awards, and opened up the floodgates.

Paula Young Shelton: You've illustrated a few books on civil rights issues. Is that your choice, or just a coincidence?

Raul Colón: I did these books on Civil Rights but it was just a matter of timing. A coincidence.

Paula Young Shelton: I love the scratching effect in your artwork. How do you do that?

Raul Colón: I use a very "sophisticated" instrument called a Scratcher(TM), believe it or not. I etch the paper before I add the final layers of color.

Paula Young Shelton: I get such a great response to the book because of the amazing pictures. Would you illustrate my next book?

Raul Colón: Send the manuscript.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:27 -0400)

Paula Young Shelton shares her memories of the civil rights movement and her involvement in the historic march from Selma to Montgomery.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,032,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible