Brainjack by Brian Falkner

Brainjack

by Brian Falkner

Recently added byprivate library, deblemrc, Mirandalg14, kesser, dm13, Lorem, VeronicaCrothers, heatherlfd

Interesting book, with some wild theories that are so far out there that they might be right. On one level it's about one of the characters gaining the ultimate powers, but that angle isn't explore. Which begs the question, does power corrupt you, or just magnify what you already are?
  Andrewfm | Jan 25, 2014 |
A great book until the third act...I'm sorry if I'm ruining anything for you, but could someone PLEASE make everyone who writes about hackers STOP turning them in to Jesus at the end of the book? It was original in 1999, but it's really REALLY old, now. There are some problems with the single female character, as well. Even with these problem, though, the pacing is good. A great beach read, but not much more than that. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
Too much techno talk in the first chapters and not enough story to keep me going, but I am sure it will have an audience for the fans of dystopia fiction ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
This book was unexpectedly awesome. It was misshelved as jFic at my library (it’s pretty clearly YA by every test out there), so I was expecting something younger at first. But Sam is a great narrator and I love the way Falkner describes the way the characters interact with computers. It’s absolutely poetic and it allowed me, who knows very little about that level of programming, to understand what was going on and to connect emotionally to what would have otherwise been a very dry story. I did feel that the ending was a tad too good to be true, but that’s a minor complaint. This is a fun and fascinating book. [Apr. 2011] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
For my mum
Right now, as you read this prologue, I am sifting through the contents of your computer.

A thrilling action novel set in the not-to-distant future in which a brilliant young computer hacker fights to prevent the human race from being erased.

It would take a very special person to crack the computer systems of the White House. An expert. A genius. A devil. All of the above, some would say. Someone like Sam Wilson, brilliant teenage computer hacker. But Sam's obsession is about to lead him into a dangerous wolrd. A world of espionage and intregue; of cybercrime and imminent war. A world where logging on to your computer could mean the difference between life and death.

In a near-future New York City, fourteen-year-old computer genius Sam Wilson manages to hack into the AT&T network and sets off a chain of events that have a profound effect on human activity throughout the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,974,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible