Brain Jack by Brian Falkner

Brain Jack

by Brian Falkner

I don't usually call books page turners but if I get half wat through it in one night I think it should qualify. It's a great read for us who also techies - not to be confused with trekies.

It started off great, middle kept it rolling but the end was a bit confusing and I am not sure what happened, or if anything actually happened. ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
I was looking forward to this book and at the beginning it was really interesting, but I just didn't like the ending. ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
This was a fun book, a very modern sci-fi adventure involving hacking and neurotech. It would probably not make much sense to older readers, but for people who have grown up with the concept of hacking and modern technology, this is a great book. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
An AI is born and has the ability to change peoples memories, etc due to a new tech. And it is up to our plucky young hero to save the day

Basically, the author is a complete computer geek and goes into indepth detail [shallow, pointless detail I might add] about how the protagonist does his hacking. TCP this, firewall that, blah blah blah. I like computers and have a passing familiarity with networks, etc, but this was just over the top.

The thing that didn't make sense to me, however, was why wasn't the A.I. more like skynet? Saying that it was in its 'infancy' and hadn't 'learned', that just doesn't scan. It had all the world's knowledge at its digital fingertips and it couldn't figure out how to live in harmony with humans or realize it couldn't and hence pull a Judgement Day?

I explain it simply by saying it is YA and the author didn't want to get too complex. But I think that young people would see that same problem I do. At least, I hope so. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Interesting book, with some wild theories that are so far out there that they might be right. On one level it's about one of the characters gaining the ultimate powers, but that angle isn't explore. Which begs the question, does power corrupt you, or just magnify what you already are?
  Andrewfm | Jan 25, 2014 |
For my mum
Right now, as you read this prologue, I am sifting through the contents of your computer.

A thrilling action novel set in the not-to-distant future in which a brilliant young computer hacker fights to prevent the human race from being erased.

It would take a very special person to crack the computer systems of the White House. An expert. A genius. A devil. All of the above, some would say. Someone like Sam Wilson, brilliant teenage computer hacker. But Sam's obsession is about to lead him into a dangerous wolrd. A world of espionage and intregue; of cybercrime and imminent war. A world where logging on to your computer could mean the difference between life and death.

In a near-future New York City, fourteen-year-old computer genius Sam Wilson manages to hack into the AT&T network and sets off a chain of events that have a profound effect on human activity throughout the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,829,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible