Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Blackout (All Clear Book 1) by Connie Willis

Blackout (All Clear Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Connie Willis (Author)

Member:dustydigger
Title:Blackout (All Clear Book 1)
Authors:Connie Willis (Author)
Info:Spectra (2010), 513 pages
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, connie willis, 2019 : my reads

Blackout by Connie Willis

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (pwaites)
    Fire Watch by Connie Willis (clee67)
    Farthing by Jo Walton (SusannainSC)
    11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King (Navarone)
    Navarone: Both books are about time travel and how the future is affected due to the actions you make.
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, WWII, Change history?

English (176)  Polish (1)  German (1)  All languages (178)
This is a hard read for me right now, and I'm very annoyed that it's part 1 of 2. I feel so sorry for those historians, stuck (for me, about 3/4 of the way through) in the Battle of Britain and no way home. It's just more than I can easily absorb at this season in my life. Other than that, though, really interesting although almost a surprise after To Say Nothing of the Dog. I trudge along for a while, then I get upset and put the book aside, so it's a slow go. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |
It seems as though I remember the other books in this time-traveling historian series having a lot of annoying children, as it is certainly the case here. Not a one I didn't want punched in the nose at some point. What does this say? I also admit, I had no idea this book ended on such a dramatic cliffhanger, or I would've gotten around to making sure I had the second book on hand before starting the first. Fortunately my university library has a copy. Woo, libraries. ( )
1 vote Jon_Hansen | Oct 10, 2018 |
I was a bit wary of this book at first, because my eyes immediately gloss over at the thought of WWII, or most any kind of war. But this book focuses more on the daily lives and struggles of ordinary people during WWII England, and is very interesting. I also like how Willis's time travel books read more like historical fiction than sci-fi.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
I continue to love Connie Willis. Her books are clever, well written and well researched but fully of heart. ( )
  uemmak | Aug 9, 2018 |
The péripéties were more contrived than usual, even for Willis. Overall I guess I still liked it, so its rating may be re-evaluated once I read [b:All Clear|7519231|All Clear (Oxford Time Travel, #4)|Connie Willis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320549311s/7519231.jpg|9735628] (since this is only half the story). Not nearly as good as [b:Doomsday Book|24983|Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1)|Connie Willis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1403972500s/24983.jpg|2439628] or [b:To Say Nothing of the Dog|77773|To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)|Connie Willis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1436397341s/77773.jpg|696], however. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
Science fiction and the historical novel only seem to be utter opposites. I mean, future vs. past, right? In fact, the two genres are closely related. Both transport the reader to strange, disorienting worlds, where the people, beliefs and social norms are often distinctly alien to a present-day sensibility.

In certain kinds of time-travel stories, it's often difficult to tell the two genres apart. Is "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" historical fiction or proto science fiction? Certainly, Connie Willis's new novel, her first since "Passage" (2001), about near-death experiences, is as vivid an evocation of England during World War II as anyone has ever written. It's also indisputably science fiction. . . .

If you're a science-fiction fan, you'll want to read this book by one of the most honored writers in the field (10 Hugos, six Nebulas); if you're interested in World War II, you should pick up "Blackout" for its you-are-there authenticity; and if you just like to read, you'll find here a novelist who can plot like Agatha Christie and whose books possess a bounce and stylishness that Preston Sturges might envy.

That said, "Blackout" does end with a cliffhanger, which may leave some readers dissatisfied: The whole story won't be completely resolved till October when Ballantine/Spectra publishes a second and concluding volume titled "All-Clear." Still, this is Connie Willis, my friends, which means she's worth reading now, and she's worth reading in the future.

What she's also able to do is to play her reader like a newly tuned piano. Scenes that could be milked for every last mawkish drop somehow get around your defenses and wring out your heart.

Connie Willisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brock, ChalresCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kennedy, SteveText Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Omori, N.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Potter, J.K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
History is now and England. - T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets
To Courtney and Cordelia, who always do far more than their bit.
Colin tried the door, but it was locked.

In Oxford, 2060, time-traveling historians are sent into the past so they can learn more about the events that have shaped world history, and as a new group of historians, including Merope, Michael, and Polly, travel back to World War II, they find that instead of being simple observers, their assignments are causing history to spin out of control.

When a time-travel lab suddenly cancels assignments for no apparent reason and switches around everyone's schedules, time-traveling historians Michael, Merope, and Polly find themselves in World War II, facing air raids, blackouts, unexploded bombs, dive-bombing Stukas, rationing, shrapnel, V-1s, and two of the most incorrigible children in all of history--to say nothing of a growing feeling that not only their assignments but the war and history itself are spiraling out of control.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,478,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible