Blackout by Connie Willis
Info:Spectra (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:science fiction, Hugo winner novel, Nebula winner novel

Blackout by Connie Willis

2010 (23) 2011 (20) alternate history (25) Blitz (52) Britain (14) Dunkirk (20) ebook (27) England (78) fantasy (48) fiction (192) historical (26) historical fiction (95) history (27) Kindle (28) London (88) novel (23) Oxford (14) read (21) read in 2010 (15) read in 2011 (18) science fiction (362) series (21) sf (68) sff (20) speculative fiction (13) The Blitz (14) time travel (321) to-read (74) war (22) WWII (235)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (loriephillips)
    To Say Nothing of the Dog; or, How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis (pwaites)
    Fire Watch by Connie Willis (clee67)
    Farthing by Jo Walton (SusannainSC)
    Ha'penny by Jo Walton (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both set in World War II-era London, one an alternate history and the other incorporating time travel.
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, WWII, Change history?

English (125)  Polish (1)  German (1)  All languages (127)
I had enjoyed _Doomsday Book_ but _Blackout_ sucked. Not really a time travel story. (evidently all the interesting implications of time travel, hinted at throughout the 500 pages of this book, take place in the sequel.) Read the first 30 pages and last 30 pages and you have the story. The 440 pages in between are just a tedious series of just missed encounters of the form "person A in city 1, travels to city 2 to search for person B just as person B in city 2 travels to city 1 to search for person A." PAINFULLY tedious. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |

Time-travel with three main characters that are supposedly historians who are seemingly incapable of taking care of themselves. One character has trouble finding a black skirt. Working on Oxford Street. In a large departement store.

The three main characters turn everything into a huge problem and every chapter is a cliff-hanger with most of them fake scares. At the end of the book you just want the blasted thing to end.

Some of the supporting characters are quite engaging, human and well written but these books are ruined by the inner monologue of the trio from the future. Whingebags, the lot of them.

I have decided to read all the Hugo and Nebula winners come hell or high water and this book is so far one of the low points.

StigE | Feb 22, 2014 |
Summary: By the year 2060, historians are not limited to old documents and objects, but can instead travel in time to directly study their topics of interest. World War II has always been of interest to the Oxford history department, and among the current cohort of students, there are several that are being sent to 1940 Britain. Merope Ward is studying the evacuation of children to the countryside by posing as a maid in a country manner, under the name Eileen O'Reilly. Polly Churchill (going by the name Polly Sebastian) is studying air raid shelterers during the London Blitz and working as a shopgirl in an Oxford Street department store. Michael Davies is interested in the evacuation of Dunkirk, but Dunkirk is a "divergence point" - a time so important to the course of history that historians aren't allowed to visit - so he's set to observe the return of the soldiers to Dover instead, posing as an American reporter. There are some strange goings-on in Oxford before they leave - Mr. Dunworthy has been changing assignments, shifting schedules, and canceling drops, all without a word of explanation - but Mike, Polly, and Eileen all make it to the past with relatively little incident. Once each of them is there, however, things begin to go wrong. Eileen is saddled with the world's most troublesome children, Alf and Binny Hodbin; Polly immediately gets taken to the basement of a church during an air raid, rather than the tube stations she's supposed to be staying in; and Mike initially can't get anywhere near Dover, but then through a series of coincidences, finds himself at the forbidden Dunkirk. And to make matters worse, none of their drops will re-open, making checking in or returning to the future totally impossible, and there's no indication that anyone is coming to get them... that is, if they haven't done something to change the course of the future.

Blackout is not a complete novel; rather, it's the first half of a longer story split by the publishers into two books. The story concludes in All Clear.

Review: I *heart* Connie Willis. This book is not perfect, and I will get into some of my serious issues with it in a minute. But her stories are so interesting, such a fantastic blend of sci-fi and historical fiction, so well-researched and detailed and vivid, with such great multi-dimensional characters, and a wonderful blend of tension and humor and pathos. It was remarkably easy to become immersed in the story, and to imagine myself in wartime England. I've consumed quite a bit of fiction set in and around World War II, but a lot of its focus has been on the soldiers or the concentration camps. This is one of the first I've come across that's really focused on the British home front (although I suppose Atonement falls at least partially into that category as well), and Willis just does an amazing job bringing it to life. One of her major themes throughout these books is that soldiers and pilots aren't the only heroes of the war; air-raid wardens and ambulance drivers and fishermen and shopgirls were all heroes as well, and crossword puzzles and ration books were just as important as guns and bombs.

In fact, Willis's skill at bringing the past to life meant that the historical fiction parts of the book were far and away my favorites. Watching people from the future figure out how to survive in 1940, even though they have training and knowledge that the locals don't, wound up being far more interesting than their troubles with time travel. This book's major problem is that it is overlong; since it is being told for the most part as three distinct storylines from each of the three historians' points of view, there is quite a bit of repetition. Each of the three is repeatedly unable to get to their drop, then has to figure out that their drop is not working, double- and triple-check that their drop is not working, wonder why their drop is not working, speculate that their drop is not working because of time slippage, wait for the retrieval team, come up with reasons that the retrieval team hasn't come, worry that the retrieval team hasn't come because they've inadvertently changed the course of history and caused the war to be lost so future Oxford no longer exists, remind themselves that history is a chaotic system that self-corrects so they can't change the course of history, worry that maybe that's not true and they did change the course of history, wash, rinse, repeat. Each of the characters goes through this thought process multiple times, so after a while, it gets to be really grating, and I found myself wishing the main characters were not only smarter but also more decisive. (Plus it seems remarkably cavalier to send people into the past without a better understanding of time travel theory and without clearer training about what to do if things go wrong... even if, as the characters are constantly reminding themselves, "it's time travel", so even problems that take years to solve in the future can still result in immediate rescue from the future - because of course, that rescue is not forthcoming.)

My other issue with the book were some of the interstitial scenes. For the most part, the story bounces back and forth between the three main characters, mostly chronologically, but there are occasional chapters that take place in 1944 or 1945, and for most of this book I was totally unclear on who the people in those chapters were, how they related to the rest of the story, or why we should care. Now that I've gotten through All Clear, I've of course realized that everything does tie together (excellently well, but that's for my next review), so I'll rescind that particular criticism, but it did initially bother me as I was listening.

Katherine Kellgren did an amazing job with the narration of this audiobook. Her British and American (for Mike) accents were entirely natural, and she did a great job distinguishing the characters by voice - not only distinctive characters like the Hodbins and Sir Godfrey, the Shakespearean actor, but even between Polly and Eileen, who had similar backgrounds and inflections, but I could always tell which one was speaking.

So, overall, this book was too long, and probably could have been substantially tightened, but at the same time, Willis's great characters, natural dialogue, and vivid depiction of this period kept me involved, and always made me want to go listen to more, even when the characters seemed mostly to be going in circles. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Connie Willis's books are great for historical fiction fans who don't think they'd ever read sci-fi, and they've also converted at least one of my sci-fi/fantasy-loving friends who swore she didn't like historical fiction. This duology's a commitment, but if you like time travel stories or World War II (or both!), it's definitely worth your while. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Dec 9, 2013 |
I feel a bit used. I've listened to the audiobook performed by Katherine Kellgren and apart from her over enunciating "pAAAsengers" she did several different types of British accents extremely well. Well enough that the boring characters in this book came to life. The banal things they overcome when things are going right for them, such as a character desperately seeking a black skirt or she'll get fired from her department store job. In an ideal world, these time travelling historians never go anywhere too dangerous. They only want to observe everyday life. This doesn't make an interesting story. So when things take a turn for the worse and the characters do end up in more dangerous places it does get a little more interesting. I'm left wanting to know what happens to these shallow, stupid characters who have no imagination or problem solving skills, damn you Katherine. ( )
  wifilibrarian | Dec 2, 2013 |
Highly enjoyable but slightly frustrating tale of three time-travelling historians marooned in England in the early stages of WWII. While there's a real sense of time and place, with a strong focus on the mundane as well as the extraordinary, and the characters are endearing, at times it feels like not all that much happens other than the three leads running round rather futilely. So I suspect it's very much a case of waiting for the second book for the real pay-off. ( )
  salimbol | Nov 9, 2013 |
Science fiction and the historical novel only seem to be utter opposites. I mean, future vs. past, right? In fact, the two genres are closely related. Both transport the reader to strange, disorienting worlds, where the people, beliefs and social norms are often distinctly alien to a present-day sensibility.

In certain kinds of time-travel stories, it's often difficult to tell the two genres apart. Is "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" historical fiction or proto science fiction? Certainly, Connie Willis's new novel, her first since "Passage" (2001), about near-death experiences, is as vivid an evocation of England during World War II as anyone has ever written. It's also indisputably science fiction. . . .

If you're a science-fiction fan, you'll want to read this book by one of the most honored writers in the field (10 Hugos, six Nebulas); if you're interested in World War II, you should pick up "Blackout" for its you-are-there authenticity; and if you just like to read, you'll find here a novelist who can plot like Agatha Christie and whose books possess a bounce and stylishness that Preston Sturges might envy.

That said, "Blackout" does end with a cliffhanger, which may leave some readers dissatisfied: The whole story won't be completely resolved till October when Ballantine/Spectra publishes a second and concluding volume titled "All-Clear." Still, this is Connie Willis, my friends, which means she's worth reading now, and she's worth reading in the future.

Connie Willisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Potter, J.K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
History is now and England. - T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets
To Courtney and Cordelia, who always do far more than their bit.
Colin tried the door, but it was locked.

In Oxford, 2060, time-traveling historians are sent into the past so they can learn more about the events that have shaped world history, and as a new group of historians, including Merope, Michael, and Polly, travel back to World War II, they find that instead of being simple observers, their assignments are causing history to spin out of control.

When a time-travel lab suddenly cancels assignments for no apparent reason and switches around everyone's schedules, time-travelling historians Michael, Merope, and Polly find themselves in World War II, facing air raids, blackouts, unexploded bombs, rationing, and two of the most incorrigible children in all of history.… (more)

755 wanted4 pay6 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,423,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible