Sixty-One Nails by Mike Shevdon

Sixty-One Nails (2009)

by Mike Shevdon

Series: Courts of the Feyre (1)

The Neon Court: Or, the Betrayal of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books are set in London that has a magical world that few see
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (spammie1)

An interesting mix of urban fantasy, the fae, and old British legends and traditions of the monarchy. Fantastic supporting characters from Claire Raddison to the Highsmiths. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
There are four books in the Courts of Feyre series; this is the first book in that series. This book started out really cool and reminded me a lot of Gaiman’s “Neverwhere”, unfortunately it never really went anywhere. I was reading this on Kindle and got about 40% of the way through (215 pages) and realized that not much had really happened yet. I finally stopped reading this book at that 40% mark.

Niall basically dies, is brought back to life, and then finds out he is some sort of fae in the first couple chapters of the book. There is discussion that he will need to join one of the Feyre courts in order to survive the awakening of his Feyre powers. From this point on there is a lot of Niall running around as he tries to tie up the loose ends of his old life, this part seemed to go on forever.

Blackbird is an interesting side character that is introduced and I liked her. There are a few other side characters introduced but not much time is spent with them.

I was really disappointed in how slowly this book moved; I really wanted to like it and it feels like the kind of story I would like. However, I finally got fed up with the lack of progress and decided to put this book down and start reading another.

Overall this book has potential if you have the patience for it (which I didn’t). It has a very “Neverwhere” feel to it and if felt like something I would enjoy initially. However, in the first 40% of the book not much actually happens and I got bored with it. ( )
  krau0098 | Jul 28, 2018 |
Ugh. Forced myself to read thru book with boring plot and unsympathetic characters and cliched writing because so very well reviewed and recommended thought it had to get better. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
"Neverwhere's faster, smarter brother has arrived."

I haven't read this. It resides on my to-read list. However, I want to just say this: one-upping Gaiman with a relatively unknown author is both unfair to the author and to the book, because it comes off sounding pretentious. It makes me want to remove this book from my to-read list. And so, to whoever wrote that in the blurb? Kindly knock it the fuck off. You're doing a disservice to authors everywhere.
  lyrrael | Oct 18, 2015 |
Compared favourably to"Neverwhere", I picked up this novel some time ago, and have finally gotten around to reading it. It is an appealing urban fantasy, with similar characterisation to Gaiman's work - the rather befuddled man whose life is turned upside down when he realises that the world is rather different, and less safe, than he had imagined. In this case, after a rather rough day, Niall has a heart attack and is saved by a mysterious elderly lady. Calling herself "Blackbird" she then reveals to him that an ancient darkness is about to rise and engulf the world and he is the unlikely saviour. Fast paced, quite entertaining and a little bit different, this makes for an enjoyable read. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |

Mike Shevdonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coulthart, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0857660284, Mass Market Paperback)

THERE IS A SECRET WAR GROWING BENEATH THE STREETS OF LONDON.

A dark magic will be unleashed by the Untainted...Unless a new hero can be found. The smarter, faster brother to Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere has arrived.

The immense Sixty-One Nails follows Niall Petersen, victim of a suspected heart attack on the London Underground, into the hidden world of the Feyre, an uncanny place of legend that lurks just beyond the surface of everyday life. The Untainted, the darkest of the Seven Courts, have made their play for power, and unless Niall can recreate the ritual of the Sixty-One Nails, their dark dominion will enslave all of the Feyre, and all of humankind too.

File Under: Urban Fantasy [ Hidden War | Ancient Rituals | Secret History | Gallowfyre! ]

E-book ISBN: 978-0-85766-029-9

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

When a suspected heart attack leads him into the hidden world of the Feyre, a legendary place that lurks just beyond the surface of everyday life, Niall Petersen is stunned to discover that he is the only one who can save the ancient people from war.

Angry Robot

2 editions of this book were published by Angry Robot.

Editions: 0857660284, 0857660292

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,088,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible