The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

The Sky Is Everywhere (edition 2010)

by Jandy Nelson

Member:stephxsu
Title:The Sky Is Everywhere
Authors:Jandy Nelson
Info:Dial (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:young adult, debs10, grief, death, sisters, love triangle, music

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler (kaledrina)
    Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: While this book isn't about grieving, it certainly is about music/singing. The musicians/singers will love this book.
    Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (weener)
    weener: Want a less overwritten book about grieving for a sibling? Try Broken Soup.

i did not like it as much as i wanted to. I liked the writing style and the characters but it just felt boring and i couldn't really get into it. I gave up after the first 50 pages or so and then skipped to the last chapter. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Inaspettatamente, The Sky is everywhere, è un romanzo assolutamente squisito.

Tremendo, per il carico di dolore che si sprigiona da ogni pagina, ma assolutamente da leggere.
E' come osservare una crisalide diventare farfalla, immaginandosi di essere quella crisalide. Il buio, il senso di soffocamento, la solitudine e, lentamente, l'apertura e la rinascita.

Il dolore per la morte di Bailey, il terremoto, la devastazione e la ripresa, lenta e faticosa, di Lennie che non solo si trova ad dover affrontare il mondo senza la sua perfetta e adorata sorella, ma che deve anche affrontare la crescita, la sua nuova vita, l'accentrarsi delle attenzioni degli altri, la pietà, la desolazione... la speranza e l'amore.

Troppo da poter gestire, troppo per riuscire a farlo senza sbagliare ma, Lennie, ci prova. Si esprime e urla il suo dolore, in silenzio, lasciando frammenti di pensieri sparsi ovunque va.
La poesia la aiuta, l'amore la coinvolge, gli affetti la proteggono e la speranza la sostiene.

Piano piano si accorge di crescere, di divenire adulta, anche contro la sua volontà, e si riscopre a dover andare avanti, dover superare quella sorella maggiore che era sempre stata avanti a lei e che ormai è immobile, nella morte.

E' un romanzo davvero dolcissimo e amaro, ma ricco e caldo come un caldo e confortante abbraccio consolatorio.
Veramente bello, peccato non averlo letto prima. ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
Grieving the death of her sister, teenage Lennie finds herself attracted to two boys at once: charismatic Joe, who helps ease the weight of loss, and melancholy Toby, who may be the only one who truly understands her pain.

A good book, though not quite as fantastic as I'll Give You the Sun. For readers who like realistic fiction that is both happy and sad, with touches of poetry and whimsy. ( )
  foggidawn | Jun 5, 2017 |
The problem with this book is that it isn't I'll Give You the Sun. I'll Give You the Sun is my absolute favourite book in the entire world. It's the kind of book that I want to clutch to my chest, spin around, and sigh about. The Sky is Everywhere isn't that, but it still deserves to be read. It's a bit slow to start, but I found myself flipping pages faster and faster as I approached the end. It made me stay up at night, deciding I wasn't going to save the last 100 pages until tomorrow and I was going to binge it now because I felt like I had to. Lennie is a lovely character, full of flaws and heartbreak, yet you still keep rooting for her. She comes off as very young, which, yeah, she is! Her first person voice is very much that of a young teenage girl, which is a nice change from some of the more sophisticated voices you can find in YA sometimes. Her youthfulness makes the story that much more heartbreaking.

I love books about grief, and this does a find job with that. It's about loss and healing, and about losing yourself and finding your voice again. The love story is sweet, and I was surprised by how much I came to like it. But what surprised me most, was that I cried. Lennie's relationship to her family, her grandmother and uncle Big, is definitely the highlight of this novel, and I'd read it one hundred times for that. If there's anything Nelson gets, it's family.

This book may not be a masterpiece, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth reading. ( )
  ainjel | Apr 28, 2017 |
I've been into fantasy this year and have not been able to enjoy contemporary much so naturally I was worried I might not enjoy this book. It turned out that there was no need to worry. It is true that I had trouble getting into this book. The beginning was slow paced and there was not much character development. However, I could not stop reading after Lennie and Joe share their first kiss. That was the moment where the story started moving and I just could not resist the urge to find out what happens next. I was supposed to be studying for a calculus exam!! I don't regret finishing this book, though. It was so beautiful and heartwarming and I cannot wait to start reading the other book written by Jandy. ( )
  bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |
For my mother.
Gram is worried about me. Its not because my sister Bailey died four weeks ago, or because my mother hasnt contacted me in sixteen years, or even because suddenly all i think about is sex. She is worried about me because one of her houseplants has spots.

To wake or sleep look
or listen still just me no
goodbye just blue sky

In the months after her sister dies, seventeen-year-old Lennie falls into a love triangle and discovers the strength to follow her dream of becoming a musician.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,196,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible