The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

The Sky Is Everywhere (edition 2010)

by Jandy Nelson

Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read 2010, young adult, fiction, library

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler (kaledrina)
    Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: While this book isn't about grieving, it certainly is about music/singing. The musicians/singers will love this book.
    Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (weener)
    weener: Want a less overwritten book about grieving for a sibling? Try Broken Soup.

This was a Very Good Book.

For a start, I thought it was a refreshing take on the theme of grief. It had a believability that other titles - in particular, I'm thinking of All the Bright Places - I've read recently lack. I felt like the relationship between Lennie and her sister was completely honest. I could really see that they had been close, that the way they interacted was true to my experience of female friendships and what I imagine it would be to have a sister. Lennie's reaction to her sister's death (not a spoiler, it's in the first few pages) is something I could really relate to. It's neither histrionic nor unrealistically easy. Bereavements can be tricky to write (as opposed to deaths) and I think this is something that is really well portrayed here. I can give it no higher praise than to say that I would recommend it for someone who is experiencing or coming to terms with feelings of grief. Possibly not directly in the middle of the grief, but afterwards. I know I could certainly find elements of my experience with grief in here.

Lennie is such a fantastic character. I think she's such a good portrayal of a strong woman who is nuanced and complex. She makes a lot of mistakes, but they're completely believable in the context. She isn't a wallflower, but she's not a ridiculous "strong female character" (those are okay in some scenarios, but I tend to prefer my characters with a fraction of light and shade - more light, than shade, but still). I was always rooting for her throughout the story, even when she fucks up. I also never felt like the narrative was shaming her for her actions - she blames herself, naturally, but everyone else can see the bigger picture.

Joe was a decent love interest too. He's definitely overly pretentious, but he pretty much fit the profile of every overly pretentious musician I ever knew at school, so I think that works. It's interesting that while he's pretty much justified in his anger at Lennie (though, to be fair, they weren't actually going out, I suppose) you definitely feel a little like he's being unfair. That is the nature of being stuck in the main character's head, though - and like I said, I was rooting for Lennie the whole time. The renunion at the end is pretty sweet - I definitely would have liked that at Lennie's age. I did like a lot of the secondary characters too. Lennie's gran and uncle really made up for her shitty excuse for a mum.

Agh, I never know what to say about books that I love. This was just a sweet and true book, and I'll be reading it again some day. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |
This was a Very Good Book.

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
For my mother.
Gram is worried about me. Its not because my sister Bailey died four weeks ago, or because my mother hasnt contacted me in sixteen years, or even because suddenly all i think about is sex. She is worried about me because one of her houseplants has spots.

To wake or sleep look
or listen still just me no
goodbye just blue sky

In the months after her sister dies, seventeen-year-old Lennie falls into a love triangle and discovers the strength to follow her dream of becoming a musician.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,155,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible