HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
Loading...

The Sky Is Everywhere (edition 2010)

by Jandy Nelson

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
7518712,377 (4.21)22
Member:callmecayce
Title:The Sky Is Everywhere
Authors:Jandy Nelson
Info:Dial (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read 2010, young adult, fiction, library

Work details

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

  1. 01
    Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler (kaledrina)
  2. 01
    Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: While this book isn't about grieving, it certainly is about music/singing. The musicians/singers will love this book.
  3. 01
    Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (weener)
    weener: Want a less overwritten book about grieving for a sibling? Try Broken Soup.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 22 mentions

Showing 1-5 of 87 (next | show all)
La literatura actual está llena de libros con hermanas muertas, por eso pensaba que este libro sería una historia como tantas otras que ya había leído y pospuse su lectura un montón de veces. Sin embargo, cuando decidí leerlo, me di cuenta que estaba equivocada, esta historia no se parece a las demás y hasta que no lo terminé, no pude soltarlo.

El cielo está en cualquier lugar es una historia emotiva, pero NO deprimente, una historia para soñar y aprender. Totalmente recomendada. ( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
¿Qué clase de mundo es este? ¿Y qué podemos hacer nosotros? ¿Qué hace uno cuando de hecho sucede lo peor que podía suceder? ¿Cuando uno recibe esa llamada? ¿Cuando uno echa tanto de menos la montaña rusa de la voz de su hermana que le entran ganas de destrozar toda la casa con las uñas?

Cuando Bailey, la hermana mayor de Lennie, muere de un infarto a Lennie se le viene el mundo abajo. Bailey era la extrovertida, la feliz, la fuerte, la artista, y Lennie no sabe como vivir sin ser su sombra. Así que cuando se ve obligada a tomar las riendas de su propia vida, mientras aun lucha con el dolor por la perdida de su hermana, las cosas se complican para ella. Sobre todo cuando sus sentimientos se ven encontrados por dos chicos totalmente distintos.

Toby, el exnovio de su hermana, el único que parece entender su dolor.
Joe, el chico nuevo, el que solo conoce a la Lennie post Bailey. El que la hace olvidar.

Pero Lennie tal vez no quiera olvidar...

La gente muere constantemente. Todos los días. A todas horas. Hay familias por todo el mundo mirando camas donde ya no duerme nadie, zapatos que ya nadie se pone. Familias que ya no tienen que comprar un cereal en particular, un tipo de champú. Hay gente por todas partes haciendo cola en los cines, comprando cortinas, paseando perros, mientras que dentro, sus corazones se están haciendo jirones. Durante años. Durante todas sus vidas. No creo que el tiempo cure. No quiero que lo haga. Si yo me curo, ¿no significa eso que he aceptado el mundo sin ella?

Una historia de amor hermosa. Del primer amor. De amores perdidos. De amor por la familia. De amor por la vida. Intercalada con poemas que la hacen aun mas especial.

Definitivamente uno de mis favoritos.


Mi hermana morirá una y otra vez durante todo el resto de mi vida. Esta pena es para siempre. No desaparece; se convierte en parte de ti, paso por paso, aliento por aliento. Jamás dejaré de llorar a Bailey porque jamás dejaré de quererla. Es así, simplemente. El dolor y el amor van unidos, no existe una cosa sin la otra. Lo único que puedo hacer es quererla y querer al mundo, emularla viviendo con valor y ánimo y alegría.
( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
“A poor woman who since childhood had been counting her heartbeats and had run out of numbers...” (A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings: A Tale For Children by Gabriel García Márquez.)

Four or five years ago I babysat a pair of sisters every week. The younger one died two and a half weeks ago, of a heart defect that wasn't supposed to be causing trouble. She was twelve. I won't pretend we've kept in touch the past few years, but I would still see her now and then. Her death is quite possibly the reason I found this book so heartbreaking.

It's about Lennie, whose older sister Bailey--to whom she was closer than to anyone else--just died of a random heart defect. Lennie had always lived happily in Bailey's shadow, and now she needs to figure out how to be her own person. Other things happen too, less pertinent to my point--they have a grandmother, an uncle and a lack of a mom, a boyfriend (ex?), a best friend and a new friend. Bailey acted. Lennie plays clarinet (or avoids it) and writes poems about loss and then buries them, or drops them, or leaves them behind.

Second book ever to make me cry. ( )
  GrytaJME | May 27, 2014 |
“A poor woman who since childhood had been counting her heartbeats and had run out of numbers...” (A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings: A Tale For Children by Gabriel García Márquez.)

Four or five years ago I babysat a pair of sisters every week. The younger one died two and a half weeks ago, of a heart defect that wasn't supposed to be causing trouble. She was twelve. I won't pretend we've kept in touch the past few years, but I would still see her now and then. Her death is quite possibly the reason I found this book so heartbreaking.

It's about Lennie, whose older sister Bailey--to whom she was closer than to anyone else--just died of a random heart defect. Lennie had always lived happily in Bailey's shadow, and now she needs to figure out how to be her own person. Other things happen too, less pertinent to my point--they have a grandmother, an uncle and a lack of a mom, a boyfriend (ex?), a best friend and a new friend. Bailey acted. Lennie plays clarinet (or avoids it) and writes poems about loss and then buries them, or drops them, or leaves them behind.

Second book ever to make me cry. ( )
  GrytaJME | May 27, 2014 |
"You can tell your story any way you damn well please.
It’s your solo.”

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Personal story time!

I have a little sister, who’s five years old, and was diagnosed with mild autism. Despite the 10-year age difference, I do consider her my best friend and am fiercely protective of her. If anything were to ever happen to her, I know I’d go batshit crazy.

A few years ago, we were at my cousin’s house, and in their backyard was a pool. Not the best place for an autistic kid with little sense of self-preservation or safety. Anyway, I turn my back on her for a few seconds, and turn around to find her right on the edge of the deep end of the pool, just about to jump in. I screech, and run like a freaking madwoman and grab her just as she puts her foot in the water. This incident was traumatizing, to say the least. I had almost lost my baby sister, and over the years, she did repeatedly and willfully put herself in danger, even as a four-year old. Until this day, I am still paranoid and watch her at all times.

As displayed by this story, I know I would completely lose it if any danger ever befalls my little sis, similar to Lennie in The Sky is Everywhere.

Lennie Walker has just lost her older sister and her only true friend. She struggles with life, and is horribly unable to cope with the grief. Many may find her an utterly selfish, stupid, and reckless human being. I mean, she almost has sex with her dead sister’s boyfriend. But I can excuse her for being such an imbecile; she has pretty much lost the closest person to her, the only person with whom she can truly connect with.

Regarding the whole having-sex-with-dead-sister’s-boyfriend bit, people handle grief in different ways, I guess.

”He leaves the room, which gives me a chance to recover, and unfortunately, to think about what happened with Toby earlier. How scary and out of control it was today, like we were to break each other apart. But why? To find Bailey[her sister]? To wrench her from the other’s heart?”

For once, the romance in this book was one of my favorite parts. I won't deny that Lennie has to “choose” between two guys, technically making it a love triangle, but it was just so obvious who she would choose and it didn't get so out of hand that that was what occupied most of her thoughts. Surprisingly, the almost-love-triangle was bearable, and did not make me want to rip the book in frustration.

However, although both guys were developed quite thoroughly, I can't bring myself to love either of them. Yeah, I'll admit Joe was pretty swoon-worthy, but would he make it on my top 10 book guys list? Probably not. To be honest, I found him a bit pretentious at times.

I loved the little snippets of notes scattered throughout the novel. Those, I think, were the most powerful and most effective way of displaying Lennie’s inner turmoil. They felt so raw, so real, and while not bits of literary masterpieces, still incredibly heartbreaking and touching.

Try not to well up in tears while reading this:
”There once was a girl who found herself dead.
She peered over the ledge of heaven
and saw that back on earth
her sister missed her too much,
was way too sad,
so she crossed some paths
that would not have crossed,
took some moments in her hand
shook them up
and spilled them like dice
over the living world.
It worked.
The boy with the guitar collided
with her sister.
“There you go, Len,” she whispered. “The rest is up to you.”


The writing itself was beautiful as well. This is Jandy Nelson’s debut novel, and boy, does she succeed in delivering.

I’m unable to pinpoint what exactly makes this book stand out and distinguishable from other coming-of-age novels, but believe me, you will be captivated and unable to put this book down.

With its perfectly imperfect characters, raw emotion, and a romance that is easy to root for, this book has effortlessly changed my opinion of the realistic fiction genre. I am blown away and utterly besotted with this emotionally powerful book and its author. ( )
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 87 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Information from the Spanish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
For my mother.
First words
Gram is worried about me. Its not because my sister Bailey died four weeks ago, or because my mother hasnt contacted me in sixteen years, or even because suddenly all i think about is sex. She is worried about me because one of her houseplants has spots.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary
To wake or sleep look
or listen still just me no
goodbye just blue sky

No descriptions found.

In the months after her sister dies, seventeen-year-old Lennie falls into a love triangle and discovers the strength to follow her dream of becoming a musician.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 5 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
2 avail.
291 wanted
3 pay6 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.21)
0.5
1 1
1.5
2 4
2.5 2
3 35
3.5 12
4 70
4.5 15
5 97

Audible.com

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible