The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

The Sky Is Everywhere (edition 2010)

by Jandy Nelson

Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read 2010, young adult, fiction, library

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Recently added byScottatOSU, private library, chellebuck79, Tarklovishki, Rpanico, cjk203, 450cap
    Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler (kaledrina)
    Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: While this book isn't about grieving, it certainly is about music/singing. The musicians/singers will love this book.
    Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (weener)
    weener: Want a less overwritten book about grieving for a sibling? Try Broken Soup.

This book is not for me. I was on board for the first few pages, but I have a hard time getting into story where the main conflict is "do I choose this boy or that boy". I just can't sympathize with any character caught up in a dilemma of riches. Maybe this a thing girls go through, maybe it's a problem they like to read about. But it makes me want to smack them all in the face. Especially in this case, when the drama isn't even that good.

It has been three months since Lennie's sister died. Lennie always lived her life gladly in the shadow of her more exuberant sister, including vicarious romance with Toby, her sister's boyfriend. Now she's insecure about her feelings for Toby and the new hippie kid who just moved in and has "hella good hair" so he wants him to come on over and shake, shake, shake.

The sister thing reminded me a little bit of Frozen, but that's the only part that appealed to me. Like others of its genre, the plot is driven forward by misunderstandings, refusals to listen, misinterpretations, and other petty obstacles that could be solved with thirty seconds of talking.

The style is full of trite teenspeak and quotations way beyond their years (Lennie constantly reads Wuthering Heights -- isn't that about a mentally abusive man who marries his beau's daughter? -- but oh precious she is that she reads something so adult). At one point, it's revealed that the sister was pregnant at the time of her death, but no one raises a hand about how they, as teenagers, expected to raise it, earn money, get a house. Everyone was too entranced by the tragic baby romance.

This is for people who un-ironically enjoy the romances you see in Hannah Montana and The Bachelor. There are essentially no stakes, and the characters are too hippie-dippie to be realistic. ( )
  theWallflower | Nov 24, 2014 |
The Sky is Everywhere is about Lennie Walker, a 17 year old girl who has just lost her sister Bailey. As she deals with her grief, Lennie meets and falls in love with the new boy in school, Joe Fontaine, a fabulous musician who sweeps her off her feet and helps her forget her sorrow. However, her relationship with Joe is complicated by the strange feelings of attraction she has for her (dead) sister's boyfriend Toby.

And so begins my problem with this novel. I just could not buy into the two main points of the plot: 1) that Lennie could fall madly in love with Joe, who she really doesn't know at all, in just a couple of days time and 2) that Lennie would be attracted (and act on her attraction) to her dead sister's boyfriend. I just found these plot points to be extremely annoying, and I really could not enjoy anything else in the novel. I gave it 2 stars only because I did stay interested enough to finish, but just barely.

To expand on those points, I realize that this is a novel written for teenagers. So as a 33 year old, I am definitely not the target audience. So that could be my problem. However, I have read many, many young adult books that I truly loved. Just not this one. The idea of Lennie "thinking" she is in head over heels in love with this boy Joe who she just met is probably realistic for many teenagers. But the romance in the story had no build up; there was no explanation of how the two characters grew to know each other or how their love blossomed. They just met and then suddenly they were in love, except that Lennie kept making out with her sister's boyfriend Toby as well. Enter annoying plot point number two. And I was just continually annoyed as I turned the pages.

Reading other reviews, many people seemed to connect with these characters and this story. So maybe I am missing something in this book. For me, it didn't feel real and I didn't feel a connection to anyone in the story. Perhaps it was well written as many others have said? I was too annoyed by the story to pay much attention to the writing! ( )
  em0451 | Sep 11, 2014 |
Beautifully written. :) ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Beautifully written. :) ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
La literatura actual está llena de libros con hermanas muertas, por eso pensaba que este libro sería una historia como tantas otras que ya había leído y pospuse su lectura un montón de veces. Sin embargo, cuando decidí leerlo, me di cuenta que estaba equivocada, esta historia no se parece a las demás y hasta que no lo terminé, no pude soltarlo.

El cielo está en cualquier lugar es una historia emotiva, pero NO deprimente, una historia para soñar y aprender. Totalmente recomendada. ( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
For my mother.
Gram is worried about me. Its not because my sister Bailey died four weeks ago, or because my mother hasnt contacted me in sixteen years, or even because suddenly all i think about is sex. She is worried about me because one of her houseplants has spots.

To wake or sleep look
or listen still just me no
goodbye just blue sky

In the months after her sister dies, seventeen-year-old Lennie falls into a love triangle and discovers the strength to follow her dream of becoming a musician.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,380,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible