The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

The Sky Is Everywhere (edition 2010)

by Jandy Nelson

Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read 2010, young adult, fiction, library

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler (kaledrina)
    Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: While this book isn't about grieving, it certainly is about music/singing. The musicians/singers will love this book.
    Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (weener)
    weener: Want a less overwritten book about grieving for a sibling? Try Broken Soup.

I've been into fantasy this year and have not been able to enjoy contemporary much so naturally I was worried I might not enjoy this book. It turned out that there was no need to worry. It is true that I had trouble getting into this book. The beginning was slow paced and there was not much character development. However, I could not stop reading after Lennie and Joe share their first kiss. That was the moment where the story started moving and I just could not resist the urge to find out what happens next. I was supposed to be studying for a calculus exam!! I don't regret finishing this book, though. It was so beautiful and heartwarming and I cannot wait to start reading the other book written by Jandy. ( )
  bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |
Ever since the sudden, tragic death of her sister Bailey, Lennie has basically shut down. She doesn't talk to anyone, not even her best friend or her grandmother. Her only consolations are reading Wuthering Heights for the umpteenth time and writing poetry about her sister, which she leaves in bits and pieces all over town. A month after Bailey's death, Lennie returns to school and band practice on autopilot -- that is, until she meets the new kid, Joe, who is both an amazing musician and an impossibly handsome boy. Joe is a shock to her system, and her instant crush on him actually seems to be requited. But Lennie is struggling with several conflicting emotions, including fear and guilt that she is betraying Bailey by continuing to live her life. Then there's Bailey's boyfriend Toby, who is turning to Lennie to ease his grief because she's the only one who understands. As Lennie sorts out her complicated personal life, she also slowly begins to work through her grief.

I really loved Jandy Nelson's I'll Give You the Sun, so I had high expectations for this book. Unfortunately, I didn't love this one quite as much, although I still thought it was a good read. Much as Lennie annoyed me sometimes -- she spends a lot of the novel preoccupied by Joe and/or Toby -- her actions did seem realistic to me. The romance was ultimately very sweet, but my favorite part of the book was the portrayal of Lennie and Bailey's relationship. They're only a year apart, and they've always been very close, with Lennie looking up to Bailey as the older and more extroverted sister. But in the aftermath of Bailey's death, Lennie realizes that Bailey kept some secrets from her. She also learns that her admiration of Bailey has actually prevented her from following her own dreams, because she always felt that Bailey was the one who deserved the spotlight. I thought this relationship was very complex and interesting, and I'm glad Nelson spent so much time on it, although the romantic story was a little thinner as a result. Overall, I would still recommend this book, even though it didn't quite grab me in the same way that I'll Give You the Sun did.
  christina_reads | Oct 13, 2016 |
Man kunne starte en anmeldelse med at fortælle, at denne roman ”Himlen ved mine fødder” er skrevet af den amerikanske forfatter, Jandy Nelson. Hun har også udgivet ”Jeg henter solen ned”, og hendes næste roman udkommer i 2017 (og ja, jeg kan næsten ikke vente!)
... MEN dette ville stadig ikke være nok til at beskrive denne utrolig smukke og tankevækkende roman. Jeg blev blæst bagover, da jeg læste den. Det er én af de bøger, hvor man føler en lille smule sorg ved at læse den sidste side og jeg forsøgte derfor at trække læsningen ud for at nyde den mest muligt, selvom det var svært, når siderne løb om kap med tiden.

Mange har snakket om Jandy Nelson og særligt hendes roman ”Jeg henter solen ned” som værende noget helt fantastisk, og jeg giver dem ret – hun er en utrolig dygtig forfatter, som skaber sit litterære univers lige så let, som vi andre trækker vejret. Hvem der bare kunne skabe lige så beskrivende og dybdegående karakterbeskrivelser og relationer, som Jandy gør det.

”For bedstemor har ret, der er aldrig nogensinde kun én sandhed, bare en hel masse historier, der alle sammen foregår på én gang, i vores hoveder, i vores hjerter, og de kommer alle sammen i vejen for hinanden”

Romanen er fortællingen om Lennie, som mister sin søster Bailey og dybest set handler romanen om, hvordan Lennie forsøger at komme igennem sorgen. Hvordan opfører man sig, når man er dybt ulykkelig over at mistet sin søster? Hvordan kan man føle sig dybt forelsket i en fyr og næsten føle sig en smule lykkelig, når man inderst inde er knust over et savn, som ingen nogensinde vil kunne erstatte?

”Sorg er et hus, hvor ingen kan beskytte dig, hvor den yngste søster bliver ældre end den ældste, hvor dørene ikke længere lukker dig ind eller ud”

Mit favorit element ved Jandy Nelsons skrivning er hendes form for detaljer og dybe karakterer, som man lynhurtigt kommer til at kende lige så godt som sin bedste ven. Desuden er hendes sprog noget helt unikt og hun (som flere af ny-litteratur forfattere) benytter sig af nye metoder i skrivning. Hvert ord kan vendes og få ny betydning, og det inspirerer læseren utrolig meget til at følge med i denne litterære rejse.
Jeg kunne blive ved med at beskrive denne roman, men i frygt for at afsløre for meget, så stopper jeg, inden jeg langt fra er færdig.

Den bedste beskrivelse er nok ”rejse” – man drager på en psykologisk dannelsesrejse og kommer ind i det inderste af en piges sjæl, og følger med på tæt hånd, om hvordan hun tackler livet, sorg, forelskelse og sin egen udvikling – og denne rejse er en farlig færd, men utrolig smuk at følge. ( )
  evalucia | Sep 25, 2016 |
This was a Very Good Book.

For a start, I thought it was a refreshing take on the theme of grief. It had a believability that other titles - in particular, I'm thinking of All the Bright Places - I've read recently lack. I felt like the relationship between Lennie and her sister was completely honest. I could really see that they had been close, that the way they interacted was true to my experience of female friendships and what I imagine it would be to have a sister. Lennie's reaction to her sister's death (not a spoiler, it's in the first few pages) is something I could really relate to. It's neither histrionic nor unrealistically easy. Bereavements can be tricky to write (as opposed to deaths) and I think this is something that is really well portrayed here. I can give it no higher praise than to say that I would recommend it for someone who is experiencing or coming to terms with feelings of grief. Possibly not directly in the middle of the grief, but afterwards. I know I could certainly find elements of my experience with grief in here.

Lennie is such a fantastic character. I think she's such a good portrayal of a strong woman who is nuanced and complex. She makes a lot of mistakes, but they're completely believable in the context. She isn't a wallflower, but she's not a ridiculous "strong female character" (those are okay in some scenarios, but I tend to prefer my characters with a fraction of light and shade - more light, than shade, but still). I was always rooting for her throughout the story, even when she fucks up. I also never felt like the narrative was shaming her for her actions - she blames herself, naturally, but everyone else can see the bigger picture.

Joe was a decent love interest too. He's definitely overly pretentious, but he pretty much fit the profile of every overly pretentious musician I ever knew at school, so I think that works. It's interesting that while he's pretty much justified in his anger at Lennie (though, to be fair, they weren't actually going out, I suppose) you definitely feel a little like he's being unfair. That is the nature of being stuck in the main character's head, though - and like I said, I was rooting for Lennie the whole time. The renunion at the end is pretty sweet - I definitely would have liked that at Lennie's age. I did like a lot of the secondary characters too. Lennie's gran and uncle really made up for her shitty excuse for a mum.

Agh, I never know what to say about books that I love. This was just a sweet and true book, and I'll be reading it again some day. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
For my mother.
Gram is worried about me. Its not because my sister Bailey died four weeks ago, or because my mother hasnt contacted me in sixteen years, or even because suddenly all i think about is sex. She is worried about me because one of her houseplants has spots.

To wake or sleep look
or listen still just me no
goodbye just blue sky

In the months after her sister dies, seventeen-year-old Lennie falls into a love triangle and discovers the strength to follow her dream of becoming a musician.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,241,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible