The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

The Sky Is Everywhere (edition 2011)

by Jandy Nelson

Member:sguzick
Title:The Sky Is Everywhere
Authors:Jandy Nelson
Info:Speak (2011), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:death, family, fiction, first love, friendship, grief, high school, loss, love, love triangle, music, realistic fiction, relationships, romance, sisters, teen, young adult

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler (kaledrina)
    Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: While this book isn't about grieving, it certainly is about music/singing. The musicians/singers will love this book.
    Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (weener)
    weener: Want a less overwritten book about grieving for a sibling? Try Broken Soup.

I initially liked this book, but it quickly got boring, predictable, and annoying. This young adult novel revolves around a high school girl, Lennie, whose older sister has just died. In the midst of her grief, Lennie finds herself falling in love with the new boy in school while also becoming physically involved with her dead sister's boyfriend. You can probably predict where the story goes from there. Not much more happens. It reminded me a little bit of Twilight(minus the vampires and werewolves), although Lennie wasn't nearly as annoying as Bella. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book! It's not like it's my absolute favourite book or anything, but it's still really good. It's a story about loss and acceptance and grief and love and it's a beautiful story. Nothing extremely exciting happens in this book, it's a basic contemporary story, but it still was a story that had an impact on me. Lennie made me understand grief a little better and it was a really realistic portrayal of how grief works. The ending of the story was extremely beautiful and symbolic and I cried a little bit honestly.
I loved all the characters in this story. Even ones you may want to hate or dislike, they are all beautifully written. The book isn't very long but it still has a ton of character development and it's a story that has a good plot and good characters.
I think if you ever have the opportunity, you know if the book is cheap or if it's at the library, that you should definitely read it!

Book Challenge book #36: A Book With A Love Triangle ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
Boricuan Bookworms- Book Reviews.

The Sky is Everywhere is so unique because it deals with something that most are predisposed to hate: love triangles.

I went in thinking that this book would have been tolerable at best (despite all the positive reviews because I’m very pessimistic), which led me to go in with very very low expectations.

In a way I’m glad for that! This book blew me away! Not only does it take love triangles and exemplifies perfectly how they should be dealt with, but it also does so with such beautiful prose and pacing that you are captivated from the very beginning.

This book starts off introducing us to Lennie and the fact that she has lost her sister unexpectedly. Her grief is what first draws her into love interest #1, Toby. Toby was his sister’s boyfriend, and is the only one who knows what kind of grief Lennie is going through. Love interest #2 appears in a completely serendipitous way; he’s the new boy in town. Joe Fontaine doesn’t see Lennie with pity, he makes her feel happy for the brief moments she doesn’t remember her sister. Throughout the book, Lennie tries to sort out her feelings for each boy, while dealing with her grief over loosing her closest sister.

I love the fact that her deliberation between each boy made her learn so much. Lennie was lost for a while, and yet each boy (one more than the other) helped her put the pieces back together.

This book also dealt with grief so realistically! Grief was a heavy theme here as well, and the way Jandy Nelson explored it really floored me. I willingly let my heart get broken and do not regret a single thing.
“My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is."
Between each chapter there is also a piece of poetry written by Lennie, which gives us a closer insight into her relationship with her sister. Lennie writes these poems anywhere and everywhere and scatters them around town. I loved that. This was easily one of my favorite parts of the book because it solidifies the sisterly relationship more.

I also love how there’s a big emphasis on “family” here. Lennie’s family is really important to the story, and they truly make it all the more interesting.

The romance is so sweet and heartbreaking and smile inducing all at once! It was so beautiful how it kept building up regardless of Lennie’s deliberation between Toby and Joe. Throughout the novel you could see the scales going more to someone else’s favor than the other and I just loved that even if Lennie couldn’t see it yet, we [the readers] could.

I could go on about this book, because it’s honestly and easily one of my all-time favorites but I’ll just end it by saying that you should definitely try this book. It’s really extraordinary ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |

I went in thinking that this book would have been tolerable at best ( despite all the positive reviews because I’m very pessimistic ), which led me to go in with very very low expectations.

mariannelee_0902 | Jun 18, 2015 |
OMG it was soooooo perfect!

I love all the poems, how it told Bailey and Len's background as sisters! I just wish I knew what happened to Toby, that poor guy.

But! I love this book!!!!! ( )
  englisherna | Apr 8, 2015 |
For my mother.
Gram is worried about me. Its not because my sister Bailey died four weeks ago, or because my mother hasnt contacted me in sixteen years, or even because suddenly all i think about is sex. She is worried about me because one of her houseplants has spots.

To wake or sleep look
or listen still just me no
goodbye just blue sky

In the months after her sister dies, seventeen-year-old Lennie falls into a love triangle and discovers the strength to follow her dream of becoming a musician.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,093,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible