The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

The Sky Is Everywhere (edition 2011)

by Jandy Nelson

731None12,708 (4.2)22
Member:sguzick
Title:The Sky Is Everywhere
Authors:Jandy Nelson
Info:Speak (2011), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:death, family, fiction, first love, friendship, grief, high school, loss, love, love triangle, music, realistic fiction, relationships, romance, sisters, teen, young adult

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

2010 (11) ARC (6) California (7) clarinet (6) contemporary (10) death (59) ebook (9) family (19) fiction (44) friendship (8) grief (54) grieving (6) high school (16) library (7) loss (16) love (25) love triangle (6) music (38) musicians (15) poetry (14) realistic fiction (20) relationships (20) romance (57) sisters (44) teen (12) teen fiction (6) to-read (52) YA (49) young adult (54) young adult fiction (6)
    Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler (kaledrina)
    Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: While this book isn't about grieving, it certainly is about music/singing. The musicians/singers will love this book.
    Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (weener)
    weener: Want a less overwritten book about grieving for a sibling? Try Broken Soup.

A beautiful story of romance, recovery, and self-discovery that examines the complicated bonds of sisterhood and the after-effects of young death. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Apr 15, 2014 |
A friend who knows I've been on a kick and reading YA literature like I'm a 14 year old girl recently sent me an article about 5 titles of YA literature you must read right now. (You can see it here.)

This is the first book I've knocked off the list, and I have to say, I enjoyed it.

In beginning, I was annoyed with Lennie. I felt bad about being annoyed with her-- her sister died, her mom disappeared, and she's lost. I get that. And then I figured out that I wasn't really annoyed with Lennie, I was annoyed with the author for being trite and having a teenage girl who likes two boys at one time. But then, i remembered, this wasn't just a book about a teenage girl, it was a book for teen aged girls, and they don't really know how annoying they are at that age yet, and let's face it, at 14 all we wanted in this world was for all the boys to like us.

When it was all said and done, the book is a beautiful story about dealing with love and loss, and how stupid doing so can make a person. It's sweet, touching, and if i put my my 14 year old girl hat on, this is one I would have read again and again. ( )
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
This book was devastatingly awesome. My heart broke and healed and broke again for Lennie. Lyrical prose, vivid secondary characters, and an awesome love interest...I want more from Jandy Nelson. ( )
  ShariSlade | Feb 28, 2014 |
Lennon "Lennie" Walker's world is shattered when Bailey, her older sister, best friend, and heart, dies at the young age of 19. Lost in a maelstrom of grief, she, her Gram, and her Uncle Big stumble through the ensuing weeks in a fog. Always the lesser star of the two sisters, Lennie doesn't know what to do with herself without her sister, by whom she was always defined. All she can do is write down bits of poetry on whatever scraps of paper or writing surface she can find, and fall into a tumultuous and grief-fueled relationship with Bailey's boyfriend, Toby, to her own horror and confusion.

And then Joe Fontaine comes into her life. Exuberant, joyful, positive Joe, half French and gorgeous, musical virtuoso. All of a sudden Lennie glimpses what it might feel like to be happy again. But will her reckless actions with Toby and her overwhelming sadness destroy the incredible love she and Joe could have?

This book has been bouncing around the blogosphere for some time now, so I decided to find out what all the fuss is about. And yes, it is excellently written, beautiful poetic prose with heartrending description and simile. I especially loved the poems Lennie writes and leaves wherever she thinks of the words she needs to release. That said, I found it slightly unbelievable that all of her thoughts are that graceful and elegant.

I think my biggest problem was that EVERYONE kept talking about this book's amazingness. I think I prepared myself to dislike it from the start because of all this hype. It just didn't hit me like it did everyone else, though I was struck much more often toward the end by Lennie's pain than in the beginning. If this book does anything, it will most likely make you at least feel.

I was most struck by Lennie's observation that she will never stop mourning for her dead sister. She might lose a little bit of Bailey, but she will always love her and will therefore always grieve.

It is an exquisitely written book and I'm glad I read it. I just think I was prepared to not like it as much as everyone else. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
View this review with full formatting on EmmaMaree.com.

This is one of those books that didn't quite "click" with me.

The narrative and characterisation is flawless -Lennie and her sister are both loveable bookworms, and the Lennie's 'voice' is light-hearted and absolutely adorable. Every character is someone you'd like to meet, from Lennie's gardener-extraordinaire Gran and pothead lothario Uncle Big, to Lennie's best friend Sarah and Joe, the constantly-grinning new boy in her music class.

But the plot just didn't work for me. Lennie's relationship with Toby didn't feel romantic. As much as I wanted to believe it was grief behind Lennie's relationship with her dead sister's ex, a lot of her reasoning behind it was that she felt 'drawn to him'.

Grief can make you irrational, and it makes you want to be around people who understand what you're going through. But after this has happened a few times it's more of a matter of Lennie being unable to keep her lust in check, and my sympathy wore off. The story still managed to be amusing and upsetting in turns, but I felt 'disconnected' to Lennie and spent most of the story waiting for her to do the sane thing and choose Joe.

The edition I had was gorgeous - it was advertised as a hardcover on Amazon, but it was a softcover with a textured cover and lovely full-colour images of Lennie's poems throughout. (Ringo the Cat has some pictures of this edition.) I haven't seen as unique and detailed an edition of a book before, so if you decide to pick this up, that's the version to buy. ( )
  EMaree | Feb 11, 2014 |
For my mother.
Gram is worried about me. Its not because my sister Bailey died four weeks ago, or because my mother hasnt contacted me in sixteen years, or even because suddenly all i think about is sex. She is worried about me because one of her houseplants has spots.

To wake or sleep look
or listen still just me no
goodbye just blue sky

In the months after her sister dies, seventeen-year-old Lennie falls into a love triangle and discovers the strength to follow her dream of becoming a musician.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible