The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

The Sky Is Everywhere (edition 2011)

by Jandy Nelson

Member:sguzick
Title:The Sky Is Everywhere
Authors:Jandy Nelson
Info:Speak (2011), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:death, family, fiction, first love, friendship, grief, high school, loss, love, love triangle, music, realistic fiction, relationships, romance, sisters, teen, young adult

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler (kaledrina)
    Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: While this book isn't about grieving, it certainly is about music/singing. The musicians/singers will love this book.
    Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (weener)
    weener: Want a less overwritten book about grieving for a sibling? Try Broken Soup.

This was a Very Good Book.

For a start, I thought it was a refreshing take on the theme of grief. It had a believability that other titles - in particular, I'm thinking of All the Bright Places - I've read recently lack. I felt like the relationship between Lennie and her sister was completely honest. I could really see that they had been close, that the way they interacted was true to my experience of female friendships and what I imagine it would be to have a sister. Lennie's reaction to her sister's death (not a spoiler, it's in the first few pages) is something I could really relate to. It's neither histrionic nor unrealistically easy. Bereavements can be tricky to write (as opposed to deaths) and I think this is something that is really well portrayed here. I can give it no higher praise than to say that I would recommend it for someone who is experiencing or coming to terms with feelings of grief. Possibly not directly in the middle of the grief, but afterwards. I know I could certainly find elements of my experience with grief in here.

Lennie is such a fantastic character. I think she's such a good portrayal of a strong woman who is nuanced and complex. She makes a lot of mistakes, but they're completely believable in the context. She isn't a wallflower, but she's not a ridiculous "strong female character" (those are okay in some scenarios, but I tend to prefer my characters with a fraction of light and shade - more light, than shade, but still). I was always rooting for her throughout the story, even when she fucks up. I also never felt like the narrative was shaming her for her actions - she blames herself, naturally, but everyone else can see the bigger picture.

Joe was a decent love interest too. He's definitely overly pretentious, but he pretty much fit the profile of every overly pretentious musician I ever knew at school, so I think that works. It's interesting that while he's pretty much justified in his anger at Lennie (though, to be fair, they weren't actually going out, I suppose) you definitely feel a little like he's being unfair. That is the nature of being stuck in the main character's head, though - and like I said, I was rooting for Lennie the whole time. The renunion at the end is pretty sweet - I definitely would have liked that at Lennie's age. I did like a lot of the secondary characters too. Lennie's gran and uncle really made up for her shitty excuse for a mum.

Agh, I never know what to say about books that I love. This was just a sweet and true book, and I'll be reading it again some day. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
¿Qué clase de mundo es este? ¿Y qué podemos hacer nosotros? ¿Qué hace uno cuando de hecho sucede lo peor que podía suceder? ¿Cuando uno recibe esa llamada? ¿Cuando uno echa tanto de menos la montaña rusa de la voz de su hermana que le entran ganas de destrozar toda la casa con las uñas?

Cuando Bailey, la hermana mayor de Lennie, muere de un infarto a Lennie se le viene el mundo abajo. Bailey era la extrovertida, la feliz, la fuerte, la artista, y Lennie no sabe como vivir sin ser su sombra. Así que cuando se ve obligada a tomar las riendas de su propia vida, mientras aun lucha con el dolor por la perdida de su hermana, las cosas se complican para ella. Sobre todo cuando sus sentimientos se ven encontrados por dos chicos totalmente distintos.

Toby, el exnovio de su hermana, el único que parece entender su dolor.
Joe, el chico nuevo, el que solo conoce a la Lennie post Bailey. El que la hace olvidar.

Pero Lennie tal vez no quiera olvidar...

La gente muere constantemente. Todos los días. A todas horas. Hay familias por todo el mundo mirando camas donde ya no duerme nadie, zapatos que ya nadie se pone. Familias que ya no tienen que comprar un cereal en particular, un tipo de champú. Hay gente por todas partes haciendo cola en los cines, comprando cortinas, paseando perros, mientras que dentro, sus corazones se están haciendo jirones. Durante años. Durante todas sus vidas. No creo que el tiempo cure. No quiero que lo haga. Si yo me curo, ¿no significa eso que he aceptado el mundo sin ella?

Una historia de amor hermosa. Del primer amor. De amores perdidos. De amor por la familia. De amor por la vida. Intercalada con poemas que la hacen aun mas especial.

Definitivamente uno de mis favoritos.

Mi hermana morirá una y otra vez durante todo el resto de mi vida. Esta pena es para siempre. No desaparece; se convierte en parte de ti, paso por paso, aliento por aliento. Jamás dejaré de llorar a Bailey porque jamás dejaré de quererla. Es así, simplemente. El dolor y el amor van unidos, no existe una cosa sin la otra. Lo único que puedo hacer es quererla y querer al mundo, emularla viviendo con valor y ánimo y alegría.
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
La literatura actual está llena de libros con hermanas muertas, por eso pensaba que este libro sería una historia como tantas otras que ya había leído y pospuse su lectura un montón de veces. Sin embargo, cuando decidí leerlo, me di cuenta que estaba equivocada, esta historia no se parece a las demás y hasta que no lo terminé, no pude soltarlo.

El cielo está en cualquier lugar es una historia emotiva, pero NO deprimente, una historia para soñar y aprender. Totalmente recomendada. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
I almost stopped reading this book several times. The end was much better than the first 3/4 of the book. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
You may have to be best friends with your sister, or sisters in my case, but to try and imagine what Lennie must be going through is heartbreaking. I usually don't like books that make me cry, but this was wonderful! The romance is sweet, the anger and sadness are realistic. To me, the only thing I don't understand is the attraction to her sister's boyfriend. I've never been in a situation like that, and with my sisters' taste in men, I won't ever have to worry about it. ( )
  bburton131 | Jun 19, 2016 |
For my mother.
Gram is worried about me. Its not because my sister Bailey died four weeks ago, or because my mother hasnt contacted me in sixteen years, or even because suddenly all i think about is sex. She is worried about me because one of her houseplants has spots.

To wake or sleep look
or listen still just me no
goodbye just blue sky

In the months after her sister dies, seventeen-year-old Lennie falls into a love triangle and discovers the strength to follow her dream of becoming a musician.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,310,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible