Island Beneath the Sea: A Novel (P.S.) by…

Island Beneath the Sea: A Novel (P.S.) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Isabel Allende

Member:edc1951
Title:Island Beneath the Sea: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Isabel Allende
Info:Harper Perennial (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****

Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende (2009)

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (Cecilturtle)
    Zorro by Isabel Allende (fiercebunny)
    fiercebunny: Isabel Allende is one my favorite Authors of all time, and Zorro is a surprising and beautifully written novel. While it is not my favorite Allende novel, it is up there and it a a fun read.
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Cast of interconnected characters are subjected to historical pressures through years-worth of events surrounding a revolution. Issues of paternity and social justice.

English (59)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (6)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (81)
What a pleasant find! I accidentally found this book and just loved it as an audiobook. I was swept away by the cast of characters but was especially fascinated by the well-researched historical aspects of the book. ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 6, 2016 |
Another wonderful book from probably my favorite author, or at least one of them. I savored this audio book to the last drop. I hope they don't go and make a stupid movie out of it. Full of her usual magic and the best character development around. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
In my opinion, not her best book. Missed the lyricalness of her previous books. However, those in my book club who had not read her before loved the book. We all agreed the historical research was impeccable and the plot was well developed. ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
3.5 stars - a great story in an exotic location with sweeping historical background and fascinating insight into the world of sugar plantations in the French colonies. However, in my opinion, the writing (or maybe the translation) lets this book down, it sounds quite simplistic in places and for the most part doesn't flow for me. It's a good read, but I had expected more. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |

Isabel Allendeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Margaret Sayers PedenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my children, Nicolas and Lori
In my forty years I, Zarite Sedella, have had better luck than other slaves.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061988243, Hardcover)

Born on the island of Saint-Domingue, Zarité—known as Tété—is the daughter of an African mother she never knew and one of the white sailors who brought her into bondage. Though her childhood is one of brutality and fear, Tété finds solace in the traditional rhythms of African drums and the voodoo loa she discovers through her fellow slaves.

When twenty-year-old Toulouse Valmorain arrives on the island in 1770, it’s with powdered wigs in his trunks and dreams of financial success in his mind. But running his father’s plantation, Saint Lazare, is neither glamorous nor easy. Although Valmorain purchases young Tété for his bride, it is he who will become dependent on the services of his teenaged slave.

Against the merciless backdrop of sugarcane fields, the lives of Tété and Valmorain grow ever more intertwined. When the bloody revolution of Toussaint Louverture arrives at the gates of Saint Lazare, they flee the brutal conditions of the French colony, soon to become Haiti, for the raucous, free-wheeling enterprise of New Orleans. There Tété finally forges a new life, but her connection to Valmorain is deeper than anyone knows and not easily severed. With an impressive richness of detail, and a narrative wit and brio second to none, Allende crafts the riveting story of one woman’s determination to find love amid loss, to offer humanity though her own has been so battered, and to forge a new identity in the cruelest of circumstances.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:47 -0400)

"The story of a mulatta woman, a slave and concubine, determined to take control of her own destiny in a society where that would seem impossible"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,111,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible