Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Forgive My Fins (edition 2011)

by Tera Lynn Childs

Rating:*****

Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Cover

4/5

I like the cover's colors, the title writing...but I'm just not wild about the "face" on the cover...not that she's not pretty, but it's just...I don't know...I'm just not fond of it..although I like her makeup and hair..so, I'm kind of iffy about it

Book Review

4.5/5

The book in itself was really good...But nothing I would go screaming about from the roof-tops. It's more of a 'Little Mermaid-ish' but for teens but with a bit of a twist..even the 'Little Mermaid' was mentioned..And I kind of had to agree...lol.. (I would say it was written more for 6-8 graders..maybe as early as 4th grade)..It's a sweet story and had you wanting to know what happened to them, and how they got to where they were..

And of course, there's a cliff hanger, which makes you want to know what happens next. So, more than likely, I will be going on to the next book...just to see what happened. It's another book that I have to say that I was iffy about because my first thought was...Mermaids? Really? Well, let me see how I fee about this one

The obsession she had for one guy kind of got on my nerves...And I wanted to smack her a few times...but I guess at her age, it can be kind of understandable that you "obsess" over a crush..I guess we all had SOME kind of form of it over a crush..but eventually, we kind of move on and get over it and learn as we grow older. And I will stop here before I give away the rest of the story. It is worth looking into and trying to read if you love mermaids and anything underwater, mixed in with a blossoming romance & not the insta-love. :-)
  BridgetsBookNook | Feb 6, 2014 |
RATING: 1.5 stars.

While I really like mermaids (look at all the mermaid related books I've read this year) I was never particularly interested in this book. "Forgive my Fins" always seemed to me to be the type of fluffy, cute paranormal romance I only enjoy reading occasionally. Let's just say I prefer my mermaids to be darker and less human than Cleo, Emma and Ricky (if you're wondering what I'm talking about, it's the Teen TV show H2O).

Still, this finally came out on paperback and I did enjoy a couple of fluffy teen romances this year so I thought "why not"? I read the synopsis and I liked the idea of enemies turned lovers (oh the potential).

I guess I was expecting this book to surprise me in a positive way, like "The Ghost and the Goth".

Unfortunately that didn't happen. "Forgive my Fins" is just as fluffy, sweet and full of clichés as I feared. Not to mention it has a thin plot, cookie-cutter characters and weak world-building.

The story is pretty standard. The main character, Lily (who I found annoying most of the time) is a half-mermaid living with her human aunt. She is actually also a royal princess of the seas (her father is the king and he has a trident) and decided to 'explore' her human side before being called to her duties. So she's been experiencing high-school, with all it's ups and downs including a crush on the popular kid, Brody, who she think may just be her life mate. And you know why that is? Because he is a good swimmer. I kid you not.

Then there is the leather-clad bully who seems to target only Lily with his mocking words. Of course the reader understands immediately (like, by page 5 or something) that he likes her but Lily doesn't, obviously. Because if she had brains it would be a short-story. But even with this premise the author could have written something interesting if only she had explored the chemistry between the two main characters.

So basically you have the start of a pretty standard love-triangle that only gets more ridiculous when Lily ends up 'mated' to the leather-clad hunk (whose name is Quince, the poor guy) by accident. She doesn't want it but her Dad wants her to try at least, which results in many trips to underwater realms, silly tests in desert Islands and other unrealistic stuff. All the while the reader nods sagely because it is so obvious she likes the bully.

So story-wise? Weak. Pretty weak.

Then you have the characters. Most of them are pretty stereotyped and one-dimensional: Lily's best friends, Brody, Aunt Rachel, Lily's dad (who is like a copy of Ariel's father... no really). Lily is too dumb to live and honestly not very charismatic. Not to mention she seems to have personality shifts; for example right at the beginning of the book she tells us mermaids aren't good at human subjects like math and sciences, but later on she is able to explain the mechanics (in very scientific lingo too) of breathing underwater as a mermaid.

Quince is, by far, the best character in the book (so of course, some of the best lines are his). So character-wise? Could improve. A lot.

Last but not least: world-building. Again, not brilliant. Merpeople are basically humans with fins. They live in cities and have houses, parties, love sushi (even use chopsticks) and don't even think of luring unwary sailors to their deaths. They're... fluffy. There was no mystique in Child's mermaid world. It was rather boring and ordinary.

Overall: if there was a word to describe this book it would be... pink, I guess. This is a badly paced teen romance. I do admit it has it's cute moments but if you're looking for well-written fluff, look elsewhere. This book needed more story and character development to be a truly interesting read. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 2 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 3 stars

I didn't know mermaids could be repeatedly dropped on their heads as babies. I mean, that's clearly what must have happened to Lily. She's set up from the beginning to be dumb. She struggles in school, and she can't for the life of her figure out the guy she wants doesn't want her even when he flat out says it. She can't figure out that her neighbor kissed her on purpose, because he REALLY likes her, which is why he's given her such a hard time all along (Because teen guys are dumb, and they pick on girls they like, in every universe). Of course, she eventually does, but by that point I wanted to slap her.

I suspect this would go over better with tweens.
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
ISBN: 9780061914669
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 293

Unrequited love is hard enough when you're a normal teenager, but when you're half human, half mermaid, like Lily Sanderson, there's no such thing as a simple crush. Especially when your crush is gorgeous (and 100% human) Brody Bennett.
The problem is mermaids aren't the casual dating type - the instant they kiss someone, they "bond" with them for life. When Lily's attempt to win Brody's love leads to an enormous case of mistaken identity, she finds herself facing a tidal wave of relationship drama.

I loved every moment of reading Forgive My Fins! From beginning to end it was quirky, fun and light-hearted. I thoroughly enjoyed Lily's underwater quips and references. My favourite characters were Lily, Shannen and Peri. Shannen and Peri were my favourite characters for many of the same reasons, they both care a great deal about Lily despite each only knowing her for one half of her life, (Peri for her life under the sea and Shannen for her life above it, on land). Lily was my favourite character because of her quirky personality, loyalty and slightly cheesy fishy remarks.Despite Forgive My Fins being about a mermaid, I didn't feel it was too cliché at all, I enjoyed the perfectly balanced mix of chick-lit and paranormal.
I love the whole jacket of this book! The blue under the sea themed cover image alone is amazing but the cute "doodled" shells and bubbles make the whole book jacket even more magical.

Available at Amazon.co.uk. ( )
  Rai29 | Jun 8, 2012 |
FORGIVE MY FINS was my first encounter with Tera Lynn Childs' writing, but it won't be my last. FMF is a cute read and great for a lazy summer afternoon... or cold winter day when you need a fun, vibrant world to escape into.

Mermaids will always be one of my favorite mythical creatures. I know I wasn't the only little girl to dream of one day discovering my mermaid heritage. Alright, so maybe I just wanted to have a cool tail and wear a shell-bikini... and fall in love with a cute human boy ala The Little Mermaid. Understandably, I was drawn to Childs' modern twist on this classic love story. The novel doesn't delve too deeply into the detail of being a merperson, but it definitely covers the romantic aspects of the story.

I liked Quince immediately, but I never really connected with Lily's character. She was too shallow and simple for my tastes: I like my female leads to have sass and wit. Since I liked Quince, but found Lily lacking, their romance lost some of it's punch. Still, Quince was absolutely adorable and I found myself rooting for him and urging Lily to open her eyes and see the amazing boy that's standing right in front of her!

Despite the fact that this novel was completely predictable, I enjoyed the ride. Childs appears to have a knack for writing those silly, sappy scenes that you sometimes daydream about. Like being marooned on an island with a cute boy and having to sleep together to conserve heat. I think I can safely say that we all have had some version of that daydream! Because of this, Childs' writing is strangely comforting. ( )
  thehidingspot | Mar 31, 2012 |
For Sarah, because she took me with her
Water calms me.

Seventeen-year-old Lily, half-mermaid and half-human, has been living on land and attending high school, where she develops a crush on a boy but is afraid to tell him of her true destiny as the ruler of the undersea kingdom of Thalassinia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,573,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible