Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Forgive My Fins (edition 2011)

by Tera Lynn Childs

Member:YABookieMonster
Title:Forgive My Fins
Authors:Tera Lynn Childs
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****

Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

4/5

I like the cover's colors, the title writing...but I'm just not wild about the "face" on the cover...not that she's not pretty, but it's just...I don't know...I'm just not fond of it..although I like her makeup and hair..so, I'm kind of iffy about it

4.5/5

The book in itself was really good...But nothing I would go screaming about from the roof-tops. It's more of a 'Little Mermaid-ish' but for teens but with a bit of a twist..even the 'Little Mermaid' was mentioned..And I kind of had to agree...lol.. (I would say it was written more for 6-8 graders..maybe as early as 4th grade)..It's a sweet story and had you wanting to know what happened to them, and how they got to where they were..

And of course, there's a cliff hanger, which makes you want to know what happens next. So, more than likely, I will be going on to the next book...just to see what happened. It's another book that I have to say that I was iffy about because my first thought was...Mermaids? Really? Well, let me see how I fee about this one

The obsession she had for one guy kind of got on my nerves...And I wanted to smack her a few times...but I guess at her age, it can be kind of understandable that you "obsess" over a crush..I guess we all had SOME kind of form of it over a crush..but eventually, we kind of move on and get over it and learn as we grow older. And I will stop here before I give away the rest of the story. It is worth looking into and trying to read if you love mermaids and anything underwater, mixed in with a blossoming romance & not the insta-love. :-)
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
Seventeen year old Lily has a secret that no one knows: she's actually a mermaid princess living among humans. Her mother was half human, so she wants to learn about about that side of her. It also helps that she thinks Brody, swim team stud and super hot guy, is the love of her life. She plans to eventually kiss him, which will bind them together and allow him to take whatever form she takes. Unfortunately Quince, her super annoying next door neighbor, is constantly in the way and ruins everything by kissing her. Now Quince and Lily are bound together and she has to go to her father to separate them before the bond becomes permanent.

I've read and enjoyed most of Tera Lynn Childs' Sweet Venom series plus mermaids are awesome, so I decided to try out this series. It turned out to be a cute, very fluffy book with an unlikeable protagonist and a weak plot. I would have liked Lily if she didn't interact with anyone expect her best friend. She has an odd style, a quirky personality, and is generally an ok person. When the boys come into the picture she becomes insufferable. She considers Brody the love of her life even though she barely knows the guy. When he's around, no one else exists and she becomes completely self absorbed. When Quince is around, she is irrationally horrible to him and gets so angry at the slightest things. He's actually really nice to her and clearly has feelings for her. He is a better person than me because if someone treated me that horribly, I would have given up a long time ago. I also found it annoying that she felt no responsibility or duty towards her undersea kingdom at all and she was willing to give it up for someone she doesn't even know. I just couldn't sympathize with her at all and found her whiny and generally insufferable. Ugh.

I also didn't like that Lily had to be bound to someone before her eighteenth birthday to able to rule her kingdom. Really? It asserts that her relationship defines her as a competent ruler, which is ridiculous. All the characters aren't well written and don't have any dimensions. There's no subtly to the writing at all. If you are looking for a brain candy type book that doesn't require a lot of brain activity, this is the read for you. ( )
  titania86 | Jun 8, 2014 |

OBridget1 | May 4, 2014 |

BridgetsBookNook | Feb 6, 2014 |
RATING: 1.5 stars.

While I really like mermaids (look at all the mermaid related books I've read this year) I was never particularly interested in this book. "Forgive my Fins" always seemed to me to be the type of fluffy, cute paranormal romance I only enjoy reading occasionally. Let's just say I prefer my mermaids to be darker and less human than Cleo, Emma and Ricky (if you're wondering what I'm talking about, it's the Teen TV show H2O).

Still, this finally came out on paperback and I did enjoy a couple of fluffy teen romances this year so I thought "why not"? I read the synopsis and I liked the idea of enemies turned lovers (oh the potential).

I guess I was expecting this book to surprise me in a positive way, like "The Ghost and the Goth".

Unfortunately that didn't happen. "Forgive my Fins" is just as fluffy, sweet and full of clichés as I feared. Not to mention it has a thin plot, cookie-cutter characters and weak world-building.

The story is pretty standard. The main character, Lily (who I found annoying most of the time) is a half-mermaid living with her human aunt. She is actually also a royal princess of the seas (her father is the king and he has a trident) and decided to 'explore' her human side before being called to her duties. So she's been experiencing high-school, with all it's ups and downs including a crush on the popular kid, Brody, who she think may just be her life mate. And you know why that is? Because he is a good swimmer. I kid you not.

Then there is the leather-clad bully who seems to target only Lily with his mocking words. Of course the reader understands immediately (like, by page 5 or something) that he likes her but Lily doesn't, obviously. Because if she had brains it would be a short-story. But even with this premise the author could have written something interesting if only she had explored the chemistry between the two main characters.

So basically you have the start of a pretty standard love-triangle that only gets more ridiculous when Lily ends up 'mated' to the leather-clad hunk (whose name is Quince, the poor guy) by accident. She doesn't want it but her Dad wants her to try at least, which results in many trips to underwater realms, silly tests in desert Islands and other unrealistic stuff. All the while the reader nods sagely because it is so obvious she likes the bully.

So story-wise? Weak. Pretty weak.

Then you have the characters. Most of them are pretty stereotyped and one-dimensional: Lily's best friends, Brody, Aunt Rachel, Lily's dad (who is like a copy of Ariel's father... no really). Lily is too dumb to live and honestly not very charismatic. Not to mention she seems to have personality shifts; for example right at the beginning of the book she tells us mermaids aren't good at human subjects like math and sciences, but later on she is able to explain the mechanics (in very scientific lingo too) of breathing underwater as a mermaid.

Quince is, by far, the best character in the book (so of course, some of the best lines are his). So character-wise? Could improve. A lot.

Last but not least: world-building. Again, not brilliant. Merpeople are basically humans with fins. They live in cities and have houses, parties, love sushi (even use chopsticks) and don't even think of luring unwary sailors to their deaths. They're... fluffy. There was no mystique in Child's mermaid world. It was rather boring and ordinary.

Overall: if there was a word to describe this book it would be... pink, I guess. This is a badly paced teen romance. I do admit it has it's cute moments but if you're looking for well-written fluff, look elsewhere. This book needed more story and character development to be a truly interesting read. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
For Sarah, because she took me with her
Water calms me.

Seventeen-year-old Lily, half-mermaid and half-human, has been living on land and attending high school, where she develops a crush on a boy but is afraid to tell him of her true destiny as the ruler of the undersea kingdom of Thalassinia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,904,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible