SantaThing sign up ends in 6:57 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Open Season (A Joe Pickett Novel) by C. J.…

Open Season (A Joe Pickett Novel) (edition 2002)

by C. J. Box

Member:cerievans1
Title:Open Season (A Joe Pickett Novel)
Authors:C. J. Box
Info:Berkley (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read in 2012, USA

Open Season by C. J. Box

The Joe Leaphorn Mysteries: The Blessing Way/Dance Hall of the Dead/Listening Woman by Tony Hillerman (burneyfan)
    Ice Hunter by Joseph Heywood (ckNikka)
    ckNikka: A great Series especially for those who like place based stories!
    A Cold Day for Murder by Dana Stabenow (burneyfan)
    Thunder Horse by Peter Bowen (ckNikka)
    ckNikka: The west is a great setting for these books... and gives you a chance read about an interesting cast of characters and a fun story line!
    Point of Law by Clinton Mckinzie (ckNikka)

This is the first novel in the mystery series featuring Joe Pickett, a game warden in Wyoming who stumbles into a mystery involving poachers, endangered species, Big Oil. The Wyoming setting invites comparison to Craig Johnson's [Walt Longmire], and at least in this first book Box doesn't quite deliver. Pickett is an appealing protagonist, although I found his portrayal at the outset of the story as a sort of bumbling Barney Fife of the High Plains to be drawn a little too crudely to make his intelligence and deduction skills later in the book entirely believable. Still, it's a promising start to a series that captured my interest enough to pick up the next book. ( )
  rosalita | Oct 11, 2016 |
It's been a long time since I've read a whole book in one day! This one had me in its grip from page one. I like the setting--Wyoming wilderness--and the characters--a game warden and his family (though most of the rest are pretty ugly)--in this first of a long series of mysteries by this author. Although I'm not sure the complex chain of events holds together perfectly, it keeps on moving.

A big thank you to the person who recommended these books. I'll definitely read more! ( )
  JudyGibson | Jul 17, 2016 |
Back in 2001, CJ Box wrote the first novel featuring Joe Pickett. This is it. A great story that keeps you up wondering who/what and, most importantly - why? People are willing to kill over land - always have been - but this is particularly brutal. Land leases, government projects with big money pay days, little forest critters. These all combine in a tale of good guys gone bad. ( )
  macygma | Jul 2, 2016 |
From Book Cover:

While still a Wyoming state game warden trainee, Joe Pickett ticketed a man fishing without a license. The man turned out to be the state governor. One week after being assigned to Twelve Sleep County, Joe fines outfitter Ote Keeley for shooting a buck out of season. However, Ote takes Joe's gun away and points it at the game warden's head before calmly accepting his ticket. Though he continues working hard, Joe has never fully recovered from the Keeley incident.
A few months later, Keeley reenters Joe's life when his daughter finds the outfitter dead at the woodpile near the Pickett home. Next to the corpse is a cooler containing pellets of excrement. Joe and fellow warden Wacey Hedeman assist sheriff Bud Barnum with the investigation. However, soon Joe is in trouble with his superiors, his pregnant wife for jeopardizing his job, and with a killer trying to add a nosy game warden to the list.

My Thoughts:
An extremely good first novel, and we hope the writer has some more ideas to write about that will continue our attention to his special outlook. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Having read a later book in this series, I thought I'd go back to the beginning and read this first book. While I am sure it will have fans, it just didn't work for me. I should have known that a series about a game warden wouldn't appeal. There are little creatures that appear in a woodpile. Cool, but there are too many holes in the story of these little ones. It felt rather jumbled.

I hated that the game warden's children lost their puppy and kitty to coyotes. You'd think a game warden wouldn't give his kid pets only to let them die. There was a good deal of environmental positing, and not always a view I support. Too much hunting, too much violence, not a strong enough story line. One rather grisly image of a kitty, and violence directed at children.

I can understand why many will like this series, but having given two books in it a chance, I'm done.

I listened to an Audible unabridged version of this book. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Mar 11, 2016 |
To Molly, Becky, Roxanne, and especially for Laurie -- my partner, my anchor, my first reader, my love
And thanks to Andy Whelchel and Martha Bushko, who brought this to life
When a high-powered rifle bullet hits living flesh it makes a distinctive --pow WHOP -- sound that is unmistakable even at tremendous distance.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 042518546X, Mass Market Paperback)

Penzler Pick, July 2001: Mystery debuts are both exciting and problematic. Exciting, because one may always be about to discover the next Hammett or Chandler (or so the copywriters and publicists would have us believe), and problematic because originality in such a well-grooved genre is becoming more and more at a premium.

In advance reviews, Open Season has been pronounced "something special," (Booklist), and it lives up to the billing. It is not C.J. Box's skill at plotting (the story of greedy business interests and local corruption is fine, but familiar), but rather the character of hero Joe Pickett, a Wyoming game warden, that makes this a series kickoff to remember. Like all the best mystery protagonists, Pickett is stubbornly ready to risk everything when his own personal sense of morality is at stake. But Joe is also a guy who sometimes gets things wrong, and this characteristic of messing up adds a dimension of humanity to the book.

C.J. Box makes the town of Twelve Sleep, Wyoming (where Joe and his pregnant wife and his daughters have come to live in a tiny house that could be a lot nicer if Joe only had a job that paid better), come alive to the extent that one can almost smell the crisp mountain air and pine needles. The locals display an impressive array of grudge holding and "don't mess with us" attitudes, but Joe is unwilling to forget he's sworn to uphold and enforce a full battery of laws that many of these neighbors have no intention of obeying.

When a well-known poacher, with whom he has humiliatingly tangled, suddenly turns up dead in his own backyard, Joe finds himself at the top of a downward path that, first, will lead to more bodies and then will put his entire family into peril. Open Season doesn't pull its punches, and Box does allow bad things to happen to good people. Read it and find out how skillfully he handles both his hero's complexities and also the ambiguities inherent in a life dedicated to law enforcement. --Otto Penzler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:31 -0400)

The debut of a writer hailed by Tony Hillerman as "a greatstoryteller" -- the first book in an engaging and gritty mystery series featuring Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett. Few first mysteries have been welcomed as enthusiastically as Open Season, or with better cause. "When a high-powered bullet hits living flesh, it makes a distinctive -pow-WHOP-sound that is unmistakable even at tremendous distance." And so it begins for Joe Pickett, a Wyoming game warden who, with the shot of a rifle, is thrust into a race to save not only an endangered species, but also the life and family he loves. C. J. Box knows the wilderness and he knows how to create a wonderfully authentic, vividly alive sense of place. Most of all, he knows how to create a memorable new hero: a man who is full of failings, but strong and honorable. This is mystery writing at its best-and the beginning of a brilliant new career. Author Biography: C. J. Box, a native of Wyoming, has worked as a ranch hand, a surveyor, a fishing guide, and as a small-town newspaper reporter and editor. Box is the president and CEO of Rocky Mountain International Corporation, a company that coordinates marketing for the state tourism departments of Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Idaho.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,644,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible