Open: An Autobiography (2009)

by André Agassi

Other authors: J.R. Moehringer

From Andre Agassi, one of the most beloved athletes in history and one of the most gifted men ever to step onto a tennis court, a beautiful, haunting autobiography.
Recently added byprivate library, MenloPark, Jezu, fagazoni, hivetrick, Veelost, rais18, red_dianthus, Lumilyhty

English (74)  Italian (5)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (83)
This was a phenomenal autobiography. I couldn't put the book down and learned a lot from one of the most charismatic of sports stars. Andre doesn't hold back and admits to some of his biggest personal failings in the book. I would recommend this even for people who aren't big tennis fans as there is so much about life and challenging yourself no matter what you're doing. I'm extremely glad to have read this book. ( )
  briandarvell | Aug 7, 2020 |
An honest memoir, a bit long as the descriptions of matches get too detailed and overlapping. He manages to convey the tumult of his early years and his maturity in the later years, and I'm left thinking, wow, the life of a sportsman can be so jam packed and memorable. A career well spent. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
Tengo una opinión dividida. Por un lado, la autobiografía de Agassi (que no es una autobiografía porque contrató a un premio Pulitzer para escribir el libro a partir de un montón de conversaciones) es entretenida, cuenta muchas cosas del mundillo y se sigue con interés. Por otro, me parece un ejercicio de autoexculpación de principio a fin. Nunca hice nada malo. Todo fueron confusiones y desmanes de la prensa. Construí un colegio paa niños desfavorecidos. Como si estuviera ante un juez. Excusatio non petita... Me encanta la rivalidad con Becker y la pseudorrivalidad con Sampras. Y cómo al final de su carrera se encuentra con Federer y Nadal y reconoce su absoluta inferioridad. Un libro interesante que no estará en mi top nunca pero que puede molar a quien tenga interés por el deporte y el personaje. El primer capítulo, que es aparentemente su último partido en activo, es potentísimo. ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
Grew up with a tennis-obsessed father and a lot of pressure. Became a prodigy, but did not have it easy. Reacted by rebelling against some of the structures, understandably. From the book seems to have calmed down as time passed, but hard to judge only from his own words. Agassi is open about his life, as the title promises, and I enjoyed the book despite not following tennis. A little long for my taste. Recommended. ( )
  ohernaes | Jan 26, 2020 |
In Open, Agassi provides a captivating story on his successes and failures in becoming one of the best tennis players of all time. Agassi describes in vivid detail his harsh upbringing, and how it helped shape his style and rebellious attitude as a tennis player. The chronological order, while helping show the growth of Agassi as a person over time, can tend to bog down the storyline with redundancy. At times, the tedious descriptions of various tournaments can distract from the overall idea of that section in Agassi's life.
Other than that aspect, "Open" still provides a captivating experience, and highlights the difficulties that these supposedly "perfect" athletes face. It especially, as an autobiography, gives an insight into what was going on in Agassi's mind during his various achievements and downfalls. Agassi injects some of his famous style and swagger into his writing, which can help to liven up points in the story which seem to be redundant.
Reading this inspiring story of a tennis legend's journey made me want to go play some tennis like Agassi, even if I will never be as good. ( )
  Mross21 | Nov 2, 2019 |
“Open” is one of the most passionately anti-sports books ever written by a superstar athlete — bracingly devoid of triumphalist homily and star-spangled gratitude.

Somebody on the memoir team has great gifts for heart-tugging drama.

Agassi, AndréAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Möllemann, NorbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meudal, GérardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Stefanie, Jaden, and Jaz
"I open my eyes and I don't know where I am or who I am."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,406,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible