Open een autobiografie by Andre Agassi

Open een autobiografie (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Andre Agassi

Member:Djumbo
Title:Open een autobiografie
Authors:Andre Agassi
Info:Utrecht Vip 2009
Collections:Gelezen*
Rating:**1/2

Open by André Agassi (Author) (2009)

Recently added byprivate library, Jordaan, thinguyens, marcopino

English (56)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (59)
You know how sometimes when you read an autobiography, you really feel like you'd want to sit down and have a beer with the author? Open is not one of those autobiographies. Don't get me wrong - Agassi seems like a decent guy. But he's not an outgoing guy, and he's not a warm guy, and he seems like a pretty neurotic guy. It's not really surprising considering the upbringing he had, but I still don't really see him being much fun to hang out with.

I grew up watching tennis, so I remember Agassi coming on the scene. I remember the infamous Canon commercial he did with the tagline "Image is everything." I remember the hot pink bike shorts, the hair (or hair piece, as it turns out), the earring, the denim shorts, Brooke Shields. For me, a lot of the stories in the book were like a walk down memory lane, but with the ability to see them from a different angle. It was great to get Agassi's insight into these moments, because usually there was a lot going on underneath that the general public had no idea about. He starts off by explaining that he hates tennis - not in any of the myriad ways you might take that coming from a professional tennis player, but really *hates* it. His father was obsessed with the game, and obsessed with having a champion; when Andre's three older siblings failed in various ways, the job fell to him. Eventually, his life reached a point where he had to consider a couple of things: he was good at tennis and he didn't have the skills for anything else, so he might as well try to make a go of it.

Although there is no moment where he completely changes his view of the game, he does come to a truce with it, and even finds that there is pleasure in there somewhere, although not the type that most athletes might describe. Agassi is downright surprised when he feels elation at winning a Grand Slam. He's both open and distant; willing to delve into his emotions and failings, but unable to see far beyond his own immediate sphere. Somewhat surprisingly considering all the press their rivalry got, he talks only occasionally about Pete Sampras. On the other hand, they were both pretty reserved, so it doesn't seem like they spent a lot of time in conversation together. Agassi doesn't seem to like Sampras all that much, either, but when asked he says that yes, he would consider Pete a friend. This is the weakness of the book for anyone looking for insight into dynamics between the players or insight into life on the tour as a larger picture: Agassi lives inside his own head most of the time, and aside from that with a small group of trusted friends, rarely venturing outside of that bubble. But if you're more interested in Agassi himself, or how someone who reached such heights could do it without even liking what he was doing, this is the book for you. ( )
  ursula | Apr 24, 2014 |
A great read - especially if you followed tennis during the last 25 years. I didn't realise how many years he played for or how many slams he won. I knew he made a comeback and seemed to a changed person. The book is well written and he is honest about his lies - if that makes sense. Its starts near the end and then re-starts again from the beginning. Some great insights about sport and life - well worth the read. ( )
  Neale | Jan 12, 2014 |
I had a mad crush on Agassi when I was a teenager. Sat in Wales, UK in a little flat watching Wimbledon instead of going to see Shakespeares birth place with my family etc... But I had no real idea what I was watching, I just liked the intensity of it. This book was a page turner to me and despite critics who dislike his "rebellious" style or say he sold himself to marketers, I found him to be decidedly un-shallow. In fact, for someone so "unschooled" he has some brilliant observations-notably how people kept saying he was changing his style when he points out that he was just trying to find it. They vilify him when really he is just coping with being under such constant pressure and exposure to the world. He points out a truth that people miss:for people who want to find their best and be most fulfilled, it is a long road and just as you can't look at a 6 year old and give a final verdict on what he'll become, you can't make that final jugdgement about a 20 year old. Life is so much longer, hopefully, than it ever seems. I am a sap and love that he married Stephanie. I watched the youtube video of her acceptance speech, I believe for some hall of fame thing, and it was touching. There is more to Agassi than people say. Maybe he's slightly egotistical, but wouldn't most people be in his position. At least he's not robotic like some tennis players or a pretty boy like Federer who doesn't even sweat. Note:If you *don't* enjoy tennis, you will find this boring. There is a lot of talk about each match. ( )
  ErikaHope | Sep 9, 2013 |
I never would have picked this book up if it weren't for several different people's recommendations. I don't follow tennis, or much sport at all, for that matter. But what a great read! Honest, raw and compelling, this is a memoir about Life which happens to have a bit of tennis in it. ( )
  madcurrin | May 12, 2013 |
“Open” is one of the most passionately anti-sports books ever written by a superstar athlete — bracingly devoid of triumphalist homily and star-spangled gratitude.

Somebody on the memoir team has great gifts for heart-tugging drama.

Agassi, AndréAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moehringer, J.R.Authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lupi, GiulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stefanie, Jaden, and Jaz
"I open my eyes and I don't know where I am or who I am."

From Andre Agassi, one of the most beloved athletes in history and one of the most gifted men ever to step onto a tennis court, a beautiful, haunting autobiography.

Agassi’s incredibly rigorous training begins when he is just a child. By the age of thirteen, he is banished to a Florida tennis camp that feels like a prison camp. Lonely, scared, a ninth-grade dropout, he rebels in ways that will soon make him a 1980s icon. He dyes his hair, pierces his ears, dresses like a punk rocker. By the time he turns pro at sixteen, his new look promises to change tennis forever, as does his lightning-fast return.

And yet, despite his raw talent, he struggles early on. We feel his confusion as he loses to the world’s best, his greater confusion as he starts to win. After stumbling in three Grand Slam finals, Agassi shocks the world, and himself, by capturing the 1992 Wimbledon. Overnight he becomes a fan favorite and a media target.

Agassi brings a near-photographic memory to every pivotal match and every relationship. Never before has the inner game of tennis and the outer game of fame been so precisely limned. Alongside vivid portraits of rivals from several generations—Jimmy Connors, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer—Agassi gives unstinting accounts of his brief time with Barbra Streisand and his doomed marriage to Brooke Shields. He reveals a shattering loss of confidence. And he recounts his spectacular resurrection, a comeback climaxing with his epic run at the 1999 French Open and his march to become the oldest man ever ranked number one.

In clear, taut prose, Agassi evokes his loyal brother, his wise coach, his gentle trainer, all the people who help him regain his balance and find love at last with Stefanie Graf. Inspired by her quiet strength, he fights through crippling pain from a deteriorating spine to remain a dangerous opponent in the twenty-first and final year of his career. Entering his last tournament in 2006, he’s hailed for completing a stunning metamorphosis, from nonconformist to elder statesman, from dropout to education advocate. And still he’s not done. At a U.S. Open for the ages, he makes a courageous last stand, then delivers one of the most stirring farewells ever heard in a sporting arena.

With its breakneck tempo and raw candor, Open will be read and cherished for years. A treat for ardent fans, it will also captivate readers who know nothing about tennis. Like Agassi’s game, it sets a new standard for grace, style, speed, and power.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:53 -0400)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,098,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible