Open een autobiografie by Andre Agassi

Open een autobiografie (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Andre Agassi

Member:Djumbo
Title:Open een autobiografie
Authors:Andre Agassi
Info:Utrecht Vip 2009
Collections:Gelezen*
Rating:**1/2

Open: An Autobiography by André Agassi (Author) (2009)

English (63)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (70)
Terrific, even if you don't know tennis. The first chapter is the best account of a sporting event I've ever read. ( )
  AnnAnderson | Jun 25, 2016 |
One of the most fascinating biographies I have ever read. Agassi's raw honesty and humour make it a truly compelling read. I found myself fascinated and wanting to learn more about Tennis, which I won't lie had no interest in. Many of the tennis scenes had me on the edge of my seat. I was impressed with his trust and love for those involved in his career and his constant mentions of how he couldn't do anything without them. His generosity and strength of character are inspiring. Sad that his fathers childhood coloured him and he tried to make his son fulfill his dreams. And I admire Andre's forgiveness and acceptance of his dad's faults. Enjoyed the humour and the constant mentions of "Of course it was Pete." This was one of the recommendation from Captain Awesome, who is my non-fiction guru. I trust him implicitly when it comes to non fiction. He has not disappointed me yet.

Favorite Quote's Passages

"All this is lost on Pete, however. From the opening, he’s yawning, fidgeting, checking his watch. He doesn’t like the theater, and he doesn’t get actors since hes never pretended anything in his life. In the quasi-darkness of the footlights, I smile at his discomfort. Somehow, forcing him to sit through Grease feels more satisfying than beating him in Key Biscayne”

“I find it surreal, then perfectly normal. I'm struck by how fast the surreal becomes the norm. I marvel at how unexciting it is to be famous, how mundane famous people are. They're confused, uncertain, insecure, and often hate what they do. It's something we always hear - like that old adage that money can't buy happiness-but we never believe it until we see it ourselves. ( )
  mountie9 | Apr 10, 2016 |
"Image is Everything" Classic Statement.
Fascinating read, wasn't expecting this honest portrayal of his life. Initially Agassi whining a lot about his childhood was bit too much but then as the story progressed i realised the need for it. [spoiler alert start] Cant imagine he hated tennis so much but even then ended up being one of the great [spoiler alert end]. After reading the book, i ended up watching some of his classic matches on youtube just to relate his take in the book looked up some of his photos
Must read even if one is not averse with tennis (technically). ( )
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |
What a waste of time.... ( )
  tmscott13 | Jan 23, 2016 |
I did not realize how much he hated tennis. This was quite the in site into the mind of Mr. Agassi. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
“Open” is one of the most passionately anti-sports books ever written by a superstar athlete — bracingly devoid of triumphalist homily and star-spangled gratitude.

Somebody on the memoir team has great gifts for heart-tugging drama.

Agassi, AndréAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lupi, GiulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Möllemann, NorbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meudal, GérardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Stefanie, Jaden, and Jaz
"I open my eyes and I don't know where I am or who I am."

From Andre Agassi, one of the most beloved athletes in history and one of the most gifted men ever to step onto a tennis court, a beautiful, haunting autobiography.

Agassi’s incredibly rigorous training begins when he is just a child. By the age of thirteen, he is banished to a Florida tennis camp that feels like a prison camp. Lonely, scared, a ninth-grade dropout, he rebels in ways that will soon make him a 1980s icon. He dyes his hair, pierces his ears, dresses like a punk rocker. By the time he turns pro at sixteen, his new look promises to change tennis forever, as does his lightning-fast return.

And yet, despite his raw talent, he struggles early on. We feel his confusion as he loses to the world’s best, his greater confusion as he starts to win. After stumbling in three Grand Slam finals, Agassi shocks the world, and himself, by capturing the 1992 Wimbledon. Overnight he becomes a fan favorite and a media target.

Agassi brings a near-photographic memory to every pivotal match and every relationship. Never before has the inner game of tennis and the outer game of fame been so precisely limned. Alongside vivid portraits of rivals from several generations—Jimmy Connors, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer—Agassi gives unstinting accounts of his brief time with Barbra Streisand and his doomed marriage to Brooke Shields. He reveals a shattering loss of confidence. And he recounts his spectacular resurrection, a comeback climaxing with his epic run at the 1999 French Open and his march to become the oldest man ever ranked number one.

In clear, taut prose, Agassi evokes his loyal brother, his wise coach, his gentle trainer, all the people who help him regain his balance and find love at last with Stefanie Graf. Inspired by her quiet strength, he fights through crippling pain from a deteriorating spine to remain a dangerous opponent in the twenty-first and final year of his career. Entering his last tournament in 2006, he’s hailed for completing a stunning metamorphosis, from nonconformist to elder statesman, from dropout to education advocate. And still he’s not done. At a U.S. Open for the ages, he makes a courageous last stand, then delivers one of the most stirring farewells ever heard in a sporting arena.

With its breakneck tempo and raw candor, Open will be read and cherished for years. A treat for ardent fans, it will also captivate readers who know nothing about tennis. Like Agassi’s game, it sets a new standard for grace, style, speed, and power.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,334,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible