Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld,…

Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, Book 11) (edition 2010)

by Kelley Armstrong

8264810,967 (4)14
Member:RabidReads
Title:Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, Book 11)
Authors:Kelley Armstrong
Info:Dutton Adult (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:Witches, Magic, Canadian, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy

Waking the Witch by Kelley Armstrong

The first book featuring Savannah was better than I expected. She really has grown up and matured from when we first met her in Stolen. Overall, another great work by Kelley Armstrong. ( )
  Mags_Standi | Jul 7, 2014 |
I'm am late to this party. Like really late. This is my first Kelly Armstrong book, and it's the eleventh in the series. I've heard some pretty good things about this author, so I thought I'd take a chance and jump right in. First I like to say that even though I jumped in late to the series, I followed the story line pretty well. Armstrong gives you just enough back story to understand what's going on in the current story. So if you're late like me, then don't worry about starting at the first book. Unless, of course, you want to.
I do admit that it took me quite a few chapters to warm up to this series. It wasn't that I didn't like it; I just didn't love it. After I got a 'feel' for Savannah Levine things started to pick up. I like her character, but at times I forgot that she's only twenty-one. She's mature beyond her years. I'm not sure if that's because of her unconventional childhood or if it's just the magical community altogether. Savannah is a spunky, motorcycle-riding, go-getter. She desperately wants to prove herself to her guardians.
The story line is interesting and had me guessing who the culprit was most of the time. I like Armstrong's writing style and definitely look forward to reading more by this author. I'm going to continue with the next book in this series, Spell Bound.
Read more at http://www.2readornot2read.com/2013/09/review-waking-witch.html#gV6GJlM6tJemISEt... ( )
  mt256 | Sep 29, 2013 |
This books was really good. It was much better than I thought it would be. The only fault I give it is that it is unfinished. The story continues in [b:Spell Bound|7797032|Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld, #12)|Kelley Armstrong|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nocover-60x80.jpg|10767072], which comes out next year. Kelley Armstrong does not do the "unfinished" story often and I have to say, it is not something I am very fond of. I will be waiting for the next book.

I will say. I love Savannah. I was not sure how much I was going to like her as a narrator. We see her mature quite a bit. She is almost a "responsible adult" (I am not sure she would want to hear that. :) )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
The Otherworld series shifts protagonists every book – so we get to see this amazing world from several different angles, it’s one of the things I love most about this series. In this case we follow Savannah, the ward of Paige and Lucas, daughter of the witch/half-demon/ghost Eve Lavine and the incredibly influential Sorcerer Kristof Nast. After following her as a child, we see her now aged 21, working for Paige and Lucas’ investigation firm.

And while they’re out of town she has a case, her first solo case, eager to prove herself and put into action all the training she’s received, she looks to solve the murders of three young women. But, more, as a witch/sorcerer, she also must keep a look out for an occult connection to the case – always aware of the concern of keeping humanity ignorant of the preternatural.

And the case is far from simple –or clear whether the supernatural is involved or not. With so many suspects and so many possibilities – and so many clues leading so many places, it’s hard to keep track – it’s a complicated and knotty tangle to unravel.

And Savannah is torn between proving herself and acknowledging she needs back up and support – not just for the case but also to deal with the emotional fallout as bodies start to fall.

I really like Savannah as a protagonist –I’ve been looking forward to her taking the reins (especially since the last few books featured Elena and Hope who are far from my favourites). We’ve seen Savannah since she was 12 years old and her ups and downs, problems and now, at 21, she’s a very real, fully fleshed out character – and you can see all those events we’ve followed reflected in the person she is. She isn’t a completely different person, but she isn’t the same either, she has grown and developed along reasonable, understandable lines.

And she’s a strong, powerful and extremely confident character. She’s not perfect, she takes risks and is reckless – but I don’t think her recklessness crosses the line into Spunky Agency. She is caustic and sarcastic at times – but never to a degree that is utterly unreasonable and caricature-like. It’s a great balance – and I think it’s a character a lot of authors aim to portray but hardly ever get right.

FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
I adore grown-up Savannah. On her first solo case, she runs into some ritual murders, commune life, and grudges in a small town. Excellent! ( )
  kayceel | Jun 23, 2013 |
To Jeff
For the first time since Claire Kennedy died last week, there wasn't a police officer guarding the site of her murder.

Using the powers she inherited from her dark witch mother and notorious wizard father to solve crimes, beautiful spell-casting investigator Savannah Levine is recruited to track down a supernatural killer.

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible