Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld,…

Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, Book 11) (edition 2010)

by Kelley Armstrong

Member:RabidReads
Title:Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, Book 11)
Authors:Kelley Armstrong
Info:Dutton Adult (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:Witches, Magic, Canadian, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy

Waking the Witch by Kelley Armstrong

This next installment in the Otherworld series features Savannah Levine, daughter of Eve. Since losing her mother Savannah has lived and worked with Paige and Lucas. A seemingly simple case falls into her lap and Savannah strikes out on her own as a PI in this book. Seemingly simple turns into complicated and dangerous, not only testing Savannah’s powers as a witch but as an adult as well.

I have read and enjoyed Ms. Armstrong’s book since Bitten. Waking the Witch does keep us up to date on some of the characters from previous books, but it has a slightly different tone. Although older now than when we met her previously, at 21 Savannah is still younger than characters in previous books in the series. Having read Ms. Armstrong’s YA series, this book seems like a transition between the two. A cliffhanger ending means another book in the series.

According to Ms. Armstrong’s website, this series will be ending with the Savannah books. She does promise a self-standing book every once in a while to revisit the characters. I have enjoyed this series and will be sorry to see it end, but look forward to what new books she has planned.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Waking the Witch is the first book to feature Savannah Levine, the precocious daughter of black witch Eve Levine and adopted daughter of Paige Winterbourne. After turning up on a limited basis in earlier volumes, Savannah finally gets her own book and its an interesting one.

At the age of 21, Savannah is working for Paige and Lucas. The book starts as she receives some crime scene photos that have a supernatural element. Packing her things she runs off to the small town of Columbus in order to investigate.

I loved the character of Savannah, she's confident, bolshie and very much like her mother. She doesn't suffer from much in the way of self doubt and unlike Elena, doesn't wallow in her 'tragic backstory tm'. I enjoyed the mystery and was hooked on finding the answers. I even enjoyed the obligatory relationship.

However, having said that... the last quarter of the book wasn't particularly inspiring. My issues stemmed from the arrival of Adam (the obvious future love interest) and the ultimate unveiling of the mystery. The cliffhanger at the end of the book annoyed me as part of the reason I love Kelley Armstrong is her lack of cliffhangers. You don't have to read the next book in the series if you don't want to. The cliffhanger was unnecessary and purely designed to sell the next book.

The identity of the culprit came out of the left field and it bugged me. I can't say too much because I don't want to spoil the plot, but I would have loved 'any' other conclusion.

Will read the next book, but unfortunately it drops 2 stars. ( )
  Claire.Warner | Feb 8, 2015 |
[b:Waking the Witch|6725785|Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, #11)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1265310260s/6725785.jpg|6921947] is book 11 in Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series and marks the beginning of the end. When twenty-one year old, Savannah Levine sees the opportunity to prove she’s ready for more than just administrative work at Cortez and Winterbourne Investigations she takes it. The case leads her to a small town to investigate the possible supernatural connections in the deaths of three young women. For a small town, it’s full of suspicious characters and they all seem to have supernatural connections.

I have adored this series since I stumbled across [b:Bitten|11918|Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1306101770s/11918.jpg|2606334] back in 2004. So, I was incredibly sad when I heard Armstrong was going to end it at book 13 and disappointed that she planned to finish with Savannah as the main character. In her early appearances, Savannah was extremely self-involved and drove me crazy anytime she was on the page. However, by the end of the novel I was fully on-board with her as the narrator. It was nice to see how much Savannah has matured from the twelve year old we met in [b:Stolen|11922|Stolen (Women of the Otherworld #2)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1300923278s/11922.jpg|14289]. She's also given some interesting conflicts that I'm looking forward to seeing play out in the next couple of books.

Aside from establishing Savannah as a main character, Waking the Witch also works to lay the foundation for the overarching plot of the last two novels. At times, this would overshadow the main plot involving the mystery of the dead women but I still really enjoyed the story. I also kind of guessed what was happening based on how the short story [b:Amityville Horrible|16118051|Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories, #10.7)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351565875s/16118051.jpg|21880848] had ended. Despite this, the novel was a fun ride.

If you’re going to pick-up Waking the Witch, I would recommend reading the short story [b:Counterfeit Magic|7857695|Counterfeit Magic (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312215727s/7857695.jpg|10997187] first. It acts as a nice prequel and (for people who have been following the entire series) it explains why Paige and Lucas are MIA in this one. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Bought this book to send to a fellow bookcrosser. I did not read it.
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
The first book featuring Savannah was better than I expected. She really has grown up and matured from when we first met her in Stolen. Overall, another great work by Kelley Armstrong. ( )
  Mags_Standi | Jul 7, 2014 |
To Jeff
For the first time since Claire Kennedy died last week, there wasn't a police officer guarding the site of her murder.

Using the powers she inherited from her dark witch mother and notorious wizard father to solve crimes, beautiful spell-casting investigator Savannah Levine is recruited to track down a supernatural killer.

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,481,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible