Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld,…

Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, Book 11) (edition 2010)

by Kelley Armstrong

Member:RabidReads
Title:Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, Book 11)
Authors:Kelley Armstrong
Info:Dutton Adult (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:Witches, Magic, Canadian, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy

Waking the Witch by Kelley Armstrong

[b:Waking the Witch|6725785|Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, #11)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1265310260s/6725785.jpg|6921947] is book 11 in Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series and marks the beginning of the end. When twenty-one year old, Savannah Levine sees the opportunity to prove she’s ready for more than just administrative work at Cortez and Winterbourne Investigations she takes it. The case leads her to a small town to investigate the possible supernatural connections in the deaths of three young women. For a small town, it’s full of suspicious characters and they all seem to have supernatural connections.

I have adored this series since I stumbled across [b:Bitten|11918|Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1306101770s/11918.jpg|2606334] back in 2004. So, I was incredibly sad when I heard Armstrong was going to end it at book 13 and disappointed that she planned to finish with Savannah as the main character. In her early appearances, Savannah was extremely self-involved and drove me crazy anytime she was on the page. However, by the end of the novel I was fully on-board with her as the narrator. It was nice to see how much Savannah has matured from the twelve year old we met in [b:Stolen|11922|Stolen (Women of the Otherworld #2)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1300923278s/11922.jpg|14289]. She's also given some interesting conflicts that I'm looking forward to seeing play out in the next couple of books.

Aside from establishing Savannah as a main character, Waking the Witch also works to lay the foundation for the overarching plot of the last two novels. At times, this would overshadow the main plot involving the mystery of the dead women but I still really enjoyed the story. I also kind of guessed what was happening based on how the short story [b:Amityville Horrible|16118051|Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories, #10.7)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351565875s/16118051.jpg|21880848] had ended. Despite this, the novel was a fun ride.

If you’re going to pick-up Waking the Witch, I would recommend reading the short story [b:Counterfeit Magic|7857695|Counterfeit Magic (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312215727s/7857695.jpg|10997187] first. It acts as a nice prequel and (for people who have been following the entire series) it explains why Paige and Lucas are MIA in this one. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Bought this book to send to a fellow bookcrosser. I did not read it.
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
The first book featuring Savannah was better than I expected. She really has grown up and matured from when we first met her in Stolen. Overall, another great work by Kelley Armstrong. ( )
  Mags_Standi | Jul 7, 2014 |
I'm am late to this party. Like really late. This is my first Kelly Armstrong book, and it's the eleventh in the series. I've heard some pretty good things about this author, so I thought I'd take a chance and jump right in. First I like to say that even though I jumped in late to the series, I followed the story line pretty well. Armstrong gives you just enough back story to understand what's going on in the current story. So if you're late like me, then don't worry about starting at the first book. Unless, of course, you want to.
I do admit that it took me quite a few chapters to warm up to this series. It wasn't that I didn't like it; I just didn't love it. After I got a 'feel' for Savannah Levine things started to pick up. I like her character, but at times I forgot that she's only twenty-one. She's mature beyond her years. I'm not sure if that's because of her unconventional childhood or if it's just the magical community altogether. Savannah is a spunky, motorcycle-riding, go-getter. She desperately wants to prove herself to her guardians.
The story line is interesting and had me guessing who the culprit was most of the time. I like Armstrong's writing style and definitely look forward to reading more by this author. I'm going to continue with the next book in this series, Spell Bound.
Read more at http://www.2readornot2read.com/2013/09/review-waking-witch.html#gV6GJlM6tJemISEt... ( )
  mt256 | Sep 29, 2013 |
This books was really good. It was much better than I thought it would be. The only fault I give it is that it is unfinished. The story continues in [b:Spell Bound|7797032|Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld, #12)|Kelley Armstrong|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nocover-60x80.jpg|10767072], which comes out next year. Kelley Armstrong does not do the "unfinished" story often and I have to say, it is not something I am very fond of. I will be waiting for the next book.

I will say. I love Savannah. I was not sure how much I was going to like her as a narrator. We see her mature quite a bit. She is almost a "responsible adult" (I am not sure she would want to hear that. :) )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
To Jeff
For the first time since Claire Kennedy died last week, there wasn't a police officer guarding the site of her murder.

Using the powers she inherited from her dark witch mother and notorious wizard father to solve crimes, beautiful spell-casting investigator Savannah Levine is recruited to track down a supernatural killer.

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,070,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible