Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

Winter Garden (2010)

by Kristin Hannah

Recently added byTheBookStop, jdl818, private library, Koren56, ccindyy, zuzamiller
    Ugly Ways by Tina McElroy Ansa (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Both books feature a mother who pays more attention to her garden than she does to her adult children.

What a beautiful, tragic, inspiring story. This book is a journey that you see a lot in young adult novels but not a lot in adult novels—a journey of finding yourself. That's probably why I loved it so much. I'd recommend this book in a heartbeat. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 3, 2016 |
I give this book a 4 and 1/2 if i could. Great characters, interesting plot, moves along nicely. Two sisters dealing with the sudden death of their beloved father must now keep a promise to him of caring for their cold-hearted mother whom they feel has never really loved them. The only positive interaction they have had with her is when she told them fairy tales as children. Through her telling of her fairy tales all these years later, a truth about their mother and ultimately themselves is revealed and will change the course of all their lives. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
"Winter Garden" was a lovely mix of historical and contemporary fiction. The book started a little slowly, but once Anya started narrating her 'fairytale,' which was set in Russia, I was captivated. I enjoyed how the book moved from one time period to another, although the parts set during the Leningrad Siege were, in my opinion, far more compelling and heart-wrenching. This was a book that brought me to tears. It was an emotional journey showing the strength of human character during times of extreme adversity, and the power of love between family members. Loved it! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Resisting the urge to skip ahead so I could find out what happens was a serious problem with this novel. Even though there are a number of stories told in this novel; Meredith's struggles with her marriage, Nina's struggles with love and family, Anya's struggles with her past, and Veronika's story in Russia, everything flows so smoothly.

What starts out as a story of three struggling women turns into a beautiful story... one that literally brough tears to my eyes. I found that this book allowed me to laugh, cry, yell and hurt and a book that does that is a very powerful book.

Overall, this book needs to be read... it deserves a place on anyone's bookshelf! Well done Kristin Hannah, I will be reading many more of your books in the future!

For this reader, it doesn't work.

The Whitson family is rocked by the sudden death of patriarch Evan, a warm, loving man who doted on his two adult daughters, Meredith and Nina, and his reserved Russian wife, Anya. Meredith, who runs the family business, and Nina, a photojournalist whose job takes her to war zones around the world, have never been able to connect with their cold, forbidding mother. When Anya begins to act strangely, Meredith thinks she belongs in a nursing home, but Nina decides to try to fulfill her father's dying wish and get her mother to tell her and Meredith the elaborate fairy tales she used to share with them. Anya is initially reluctant, but once she begins, Nina realizes these tales are actually the story of Anya's life in Stalinist Leningrad. Meredith and Nina decide to attempt to uncover the truth about their mother's tragic past in the hope of understanding her, and themselves.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

Prologue: 1972
To my husband Benjamin: As Always. To my Mother: I wish I had listened to more of your light stories when I had the chance. To my dad and Debbie: Thanks for the trip of a lifetime and memories that will last even longer. And to my beloved Tucker: I am so proud of you; your journey is just beginning.
On the banks of the mighty Columbia River, in this icy season, when every breath became visable, the orchard called Bele Nochi, was quiet. Dormant apple trees stretched as far as the eye could see.

The dying wish of a loving father ignites a family drama that brings two sisters and their acid-tongued, Russian-born mother together in a story that reaches back to WWII Leningrad.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,273,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible