Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

Winter Garden (2010)

by Kristin Hannah

1,190906,740 (3.95)45
Recently added byannertan, private library, Julia.Reeb, tennwisc, sdoster3, Ghostly1, lrigge
    Ugly Ways by Tina McElroy Ansa (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Both books feature a mother who pays more attention to her garden than she does to her adult children.

My favorite of the Kristin Hannah books I've read. ( )
  Julia.Reeb | Jul 23, 2014 |
This was only the second Kristin Hannah book I've read, but I'm really a fan of hers. A great story about a family that has roots in the seige of Leningrad. Moving, emotional and wonderful! But have a tissue ready! ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
What a sad, beautiful story told within another story. Two women realize they have never know their cold, distant mother. When their father dies they slowly learn the truth about their mother's past, and learn why they are like they are. I know very little about Leningrad/St. Petersburg, but this tale makes me want to know more, and to appreciate the hardships Russian people have endured. ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
Nina are Meredith have always been daddy's girls. Their Russian mother Anya is distant and unloving. Anya doesn't speak to her daughters often despite living in the same house except for the Russian fairy tales she loves to tell . Are the fairy tales just a story or a part of Anya's history?

Nina is a world renowned photographer that is constantly traveling and nearing forty still has commitment issues. Meredith has chose to lead a completely different lifestyle becoming a stay at home mother and hoping to run Belye Nochi- The familys orchard. The sisters very rarely speak to each other and when they do their relationship is strained. When their beloved father has a heart attack he makes Anya promise to tell the girls the whole story so they can learn more about their mother and their family history. ( )
  amym53 | May 6, 2014 |
Resisting the urge to skip ahead so I could find out what happens was a serious problem with this novel. Even though there are a number of stories told in this novel; Meredith's struggles with her marriage, Nina's struggles with love and family, Anya's struggles with her past, and Veronika's story in Russia, everything flows so smoothly.

What starts out as a story of three struggling women turns into a beautiful story... one that literally brough tears to my eyes. I found that this book allowed me to laugh, cry, yell and hurt and a book that does that is a very powerful book.

Overall, this book needs to be read... it deserves a place on anyone's bookshelf! Well done Kristin Hannah, I will be reading many more of your books in the future!

For this reader, it doesn't work.

The Whitson family is rocked by the sudden death of patriarch Evan, a warm, loving man who doted on his two adult daughters, Meredith and Nina, and his reserved Russian wife, Anya. Meredith, who runs the family business, and Nina, a photojournalist whose job takes her to war zones around the world, have never been able to connect with their cold, forbidding mother. When Anya begins to act strangely, Meredith thinks she belongs in a nursing home, but Nina decides to try to fulfill her father's dying wish and get her mother to tell her and Meredith the elaborate fairy tales she used to share with them. Anya is initially reluctant, but once she begins, Nina realizes these tales are actually the story of Anya's life in Stalinist Leningrad. Meredith and Nina decide to attempt to uncover the truth about their mother's tragic past in the hope of understanding her, and themselves.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

Prologue: 1972
To my husband Benjamin: As Always. To my Mother: I wish I had listened to more of your light stories when I had the chance. To my dad and Debbie: Thanks for the trip of a lifetime and memories that will last even longer. And to my beloved Tucker: I am so proud of you; your journey is just beginning.
On the banks of the mighty Columbia River, in this icy season, when every breath became visable, the orchard called Bele Nochi, was quiet. Dormant apple trees stretched as far as the eye could see.

The dying wish of a loving father ignites a family drama that brings two sisters and their acid-tongued, Russian-born mother together in a story that reaches back to WWII Leningrad.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,695,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible