Batman & Robin, Vol. 1: Batman Reborn by…

Batman & Robin, Vol. 1: Batman Reborn (edition 2011)

by Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely (Illustrator), Philip Tan (Illustrator)

Member:seandavidross
Title:Batman & Robin, Vol. 1: Batman Reborn
Authors:Grant Morrison
Other authors:Frank Quitely (Illustrator), Philip Tan (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2011), Paperback, 168 pages

Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn by Grant Morrison

Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne as Robin is a great combination. It brings back some of the Batman and Robin from my childhood, while updating it to give us stuff like a flying batmobile.

The stories are too fast, but I think comics where meant to be read on a month-to-month basis not all at one like this. ( )
  fulner | Jul 14, 2014 |
I continue to explore the more recent pre-52 Bat-verse. Here we have the first collection of the teaming-up of Dick Grayson as The Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin. Bruce Wayne is supposed to be dead, but those close to him know he isn't really; me, I haven't a clue on that storyline. Anyway, this collection is divided into two separate story arcs, the second develops from the first. I loved the first one, introducing the new Batman and Robin. This is their first time, finally back in action as a team after Batman has been MIA for several months. They meet up with an awesome villain, Professor Pyg, who turns people into dolls, pretty gruesome stuff. Dick is different than I know him in the new-52, and this is only the second time I've read him as Batman but I'm getting used to him as a tougher, no nonsense, killer Batman. I hate Damian as Robin, a 10yo with major villain attitude. Second story features Red Hood, who was a completely new character to me in the new 52 and I haven't read him enough yet to get a feel for him there. But this is his first appearance pre-52 as a crime-fighter in Gotham and he is evil! I can't stand him, nor his "Scarlett" sidekick. What is with the weird capsule helmet he wears? His 52 outfit is much more cool. Anyway I didn't like the second story which just had Red Hood out against the bad guys, vigilante style, but waaaaay more vigilante and rogue than Batman ever could be. But Red Hood is also against the police and Batman. Really, just about anybody who doesn't tow his certain type of "the punishment should fit the crime" type of justice. The villain in this story is a strange motorcycle dude in pink called the Flamingo, who eats the faces off people. Since I love Dick Grayson I'm appreciating his role here and getting to know his character better and I liked the first half of this volume storywise very well. I didn't like the other characters nor the Red Hood story at all! ( )
  ElizaJane | Jun 16, 2014 |
Honestly I'm going to try to never think of the plot ever again. It was both disturbing and quite disgusting. It involved a lot of disfigurement as well. Ew.

So, moving on. I loved the art. And Dick Grayson as the New Batman and Damian, Batman's genetic son, as the new Robin, was interesting and different, then the other incarnations.

Also while I loved the art for the most part, I did not like the new bat-mobile which is just ugly and weird looking.

A good few issues, but not great ones. ( )
  DanieXJ | Apr 9, 2014 |
Not Morrison's best but still good. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
I’ve been pretty resistant to the Grant Morrison Batman books because of all the radical changes: Bruce Wayne is dead, he has a son named Damian, Damian is now Robin, Dick Grayson (the original Robin) is Batman, Bruce Wayne is actually not dead but lost in time... It’s all a bit much.

Still, this first collection of the Batman & Robin books featuring Dick and Damian is a pretty good read. These are some of the most fun and yet dark/bloody Batman stories I’ve read in some time. And it’s nice to see a focus on two Batman heroes, rather than the veritable Batman family featured in the books preceding the Grant Morrison run. Unlike the dynamic duo of yore, Batman and Robin don’t always get along, but in the end they always come together to stop the bad guys. Morrison also invents a gaggle of psychotic new villains who fit into Gotham perfectly. And the artwork by Frank Quitely and Philip Tan is always colorful and expressive.

I’m probably still going to avoid the Bruce-as-caveman comics, but happy to see there still is good writing in Batman. ( )
  wethewatched | Sep 24, 2013 |
You said this would be easy!

"Batman Reborn" begins here. The new Dynamic Duo hit the streets with a bang in their new flying Batmobile as they face off against an assemblage of villains called the Circus of Strange. They also tackle their first mission investigating a child who's been abducted by the mysterious Domino Killer. But will everything go smoothly? And who exactly are the new Batman and Robin? The newest era of The Dark Knight begins here!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,475,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible