A Prefect's Uncle by P. G. Wodehouse

A Prefect's Uncle (1903)

by P. G. Wodehouse

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
“A Prefect's Uncle” was P. G. Wodehouse’s second publication and was first released in 1903. This isn’t a novel with a single plot featuring a hero and a heroine – in fact no female characters appear – but is rather a series of events, featuring several characters, held together with a stream of continuity.

This is nothing like the tales Wodehouse would become famous for writing but his unique style is apparent nonetheless. The story is set in an all-boys’ college. Most characters are aged 17-18, except for the prefect’s uncle, who is 14. Lengthy descriptions of cricket and football matches feature here and there, all of which I skipped with me not being a fan of either sport.

Having not been keen on Wodehouse’s first publication – “The Pothunters” – I expected this book to be on par with that one, however, this tale was more appealing to my tastes. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Apr 20, 2014 |
Not much of a plot in this one. I hope you're a cricket fan if you read it! It looks like from many of the reviews that this is nowhere near what Wodehouse's popular works are like, so I won't write him off completely. Plus, you have to give someone a second chance when Douglas Adams has called him the greatest comic writer ever.

Some bits of this book here and there were delightful to read, but most was "beastly". (That would be one of the delights of the book for me, whenever someone called something "beastly".) I'm glad it was short.

On a stupid American note, as this was a British school story, I learned that some of the things about Hogwarts were not original; they are just standard in the British school system (or the old system? I don't know how much has changed and what percentage of kids go away to school since this book was written) - the school is divided into different houses, and they compete against each other for a cricket cup. And then there are prefects of course. Up until now Harry Potter has been my only glimpse into British schooling.

And I just realized there are no female characters in this book, but that is kind of to be expected in a boys' school story. ( )
  __Lindsey__ | Apr 17, 2013 |
Fun - though it might help if you know a bit more about cricket and rugby than I do. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 7, 2012 |
Schoolboys play cricket and get into trouble. Occasionally funny, but forgettable.

The redeeming feature for me is that Wodehouse's later humour and wit are already apparent in this very early novel; usually, school and sports novels bore me stiff (I usually skip the Quidditch parts in Harry Potter), but here at least I chuckled a few times. ( )
  awahlbom | Feb 20, 2011 |
This is one of Wodehouse's early school stories,and was written in 1903,before being republished in 2006 by Bibliobazaar.
While obviously an apprentice work,The genius of 'The Master' still shines clearly through.
The scene is Beckford College where the pupils seem to be spending most of their time playing cricket. For me a little too much in fact. As with all Wodehouse however this book has much to commend it. Not least when the main character is faced with his uncle arriving at the school, This uncle being somewhat younger than he is. This creates,as you might imagine many problems before the end of the story. ( )
  devenish | Nov 16, 2008 |
Marriot walked into the senior day-room,and finding no one there,hurled his portmanteau down on the table with a bang.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159020414X, Hardcover)

At Beckford College, where the pupils seem to be spending most of their time playing cricket, Gethryn is faced with this younger uncle arriving at the school.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

After mischievous prankster Farnie arrives on campus of tony Beckford College, he reveals that he is the prefect's uncle.

30 wanted3 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,629,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible