Mastered By Love by Stephanie Laurens
Recently added byAmDeMac, arena50, astasin, lawsue, private library, arena90

I always forget how much I enjoy this book until I reread it. I felt like this series as a whole had a bunch of books in the middle that I could take or leave. This was the perfect ending to the series.

Royce is the ultimate alpha male, but what would you expect from someone who has led a pack of alpha males throughout the war. Now with the war over he must return to take up his ducal role, but he won't be able to relax for long. The Grandes Dames of the ton have decreed that Royce must marry immediately. Luckily, Minerva his chatelaine is just the person to take him on. ( )
  caittilynn | Jun 25, 2013 |
I picked up the Australian release (which I thought had a nicer cover but I couldn't find a picture during my browsing so this is the one you get) at Target when I was away and was pleasantly suprised by this one. The last few offerings from Laurens have been a bit ho-hum for me. Too much saying the same thing. In different ways. In short sentences. Over and over. Again. Repetitively. Maybe I'd had just enough of a break between her stories to enjoy this one. No, on second thought, this was just a better book. I liked it so much better than the previous few I'd read (including the 2 of the Black Cobra books I listened to on audio). It wasn't quite a return to the heights of Devil's Bride but it was up there. Thinking back, the other books I've read of hers lately all had the trope where the hero didn't want to admit his feelings to his lady because of some lame and weirdass belief that would make him somehow vulnerable. Frankly, I'm over that as a plot device (if I ever bought into it). Refreshingly, this one is where the family history is that the Varisey's don't love - aren't capable of it (Oh noes! I'm channelling Laurens!). And, while that's (of course), a load of old cobblers, the hero believed it and so did everyone else in the book's world and it wasn't that he didn't want to or couldn't admit it once he recognised it. So, extra points for that. I quite liked Royce and Minerva and I really enjoyed this book. B ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
Dalziel was the head of the area of the War Office that managed the espionage operatives during the Napoleonic wars. Now the wars are over and Dalziel has watched each of his friends, one by one, find a bride and settle down to a normal life. But can he? He joined the service of his country in his youth and for that his father ceased all communication with him. Now when he no longer needs to work in the War Office, he resigns his commission and plans to head home to try to restore his relationship with his father, but he is too late. Just as he is packing to leave he receives notice that his father has died and his is now the new Duke of Wolverstone.

Royce Varisey arrives at his ancestral home and is met by Minerva Chesterton, the woman who served as his father's chatelaine and his mother's companion until her death. He remembers her only as a child but as the time passes and he begins t take up the reigns of control for his estates, he realizes that she is the woman that he needs to share his life, but she has other ideas.

This story is probably one of Stephanie Laurens' best because she takes a character that has been a mystery throughout the series (Bastion Club) and finally identifies who he is and why he is the way he is. Watching the interaction between the characters and reviving those from stories past, makes a rich and vibrant tale of love and romance mixed with intrigue. I'm not sure that it would be as enjoyable as a standalone novel, but having read all the others that preceded it, he was terrific! ( )
  cyderry | Feb 23, 2010 |
Final book of The Bastion Club series. Dalziel's story. Royce Varisey, Duke of Wolverstone, hunts for a suitable bride and the last traitor who haunted his career in espionage. With very little trouble he finds both. Bland characters, plodding plot and forgettable setting made this one far less entertaining than most of the other books in the series. ( )
  Elishibai | Sep 15, 2009 |
Pretty good. Liked the main characters. The best parts were the beginning (before they start having sex) and towards the end (where the sex scenes don't go on and on). I suppose the little bits about the traitor were necessary for "completeness" as far as the Bastion Club series goes, but didn't really add much to the stories. The villain is really not fleshed out at all and seems much too mundane (?) considering he was the master villain for most of this series. ( )
  madichi | Aug 22, 2009 |

Stephanie Laurensprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

From Stephanie Lauren's website:

The men of the Bastion Club proved their bravery secretly fighting for their country. Now their leader faces that most dangerous mission of all: finding a bride.

As the mysterious leader of the Bastion Club known as "Dalziel," Royce Varisey, 10th Duke of Wolverstone, served his country for decades, facing dangers untold. But as the holder of one of England's most august noble titles, he must now take on that gravest duty of all: marriage.

Yet the young ladies the grandes dames would have him consider are predictably boring. Far more tempting is his castle's willful and determinedly aloof chatelaine, Minerva Chesterton. Beneath her serene facade lies a woman of smoldering sensuality, one who will fill his days with comfort and his nights with sheer pleasure. Determined to claim her, he embarks on a seduction to prove his mastery over every inch of her body...and every piece of her heart.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061246379, Mass Market Paperback)

As the mysterious leader of the Bastion Club known as "Dalziel," Royce Varisey, tenth Duke of Wolverstone, served his country for decades, facing dangers untold. But as the holder of one of England's most august noble titles, he must now take on that gravest duty of all: marriage.

Yet the young ladies the grand dames would have him consider are predictably boring. Far more tempting is his castle's willful and determinedly aloof chatelaine, Minerva Chesterton. Beneath her serene façade lies a woman of smoldering sensuality, one who will fill his days with comfort and his nights with sheer pleasure. Determined to claim her, he embarks on a seduction to prove his mastery over every inch of her body . . . and every piece of her heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:04 -0400)

The men of the Bastion Club have proven their bravery by secretly fighting for their country. Now their leader, Dalziel, faces that most dangerous of all missions: finding a bride.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,987,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible