Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated…

Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Douglas Coupland

Title:Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture
Authors:Douglas Coupland
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (1991), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 192 pages

Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland (1991)

Recently added bydaze.nina, jharding, private library, beckyface, slontine

English (44)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
I loved how the characters in this book told stories all the time. It made me want to tell/write short stories. ( )
  beckyface | Nov 22, 2015 |
Probably my favorite book ever. ( )
  Thraxina | Aug 23, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and felt akin to the generation as it was described. I can't wait to read more of Coupland's books, especially Hey, Nostradamus!
  amciicb777 | Aug 6, 2015 |

Douglas Couplandprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fastenau, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuitenbrouwer, JanContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Her hair was totally 1950s Indina Woolworth perfume

clerk. You know-sweet and dumb-she'll marry her way

out of the trailer park some day soon. But the dress was

early '60s Aeroflot stewardess-you know-that really sad

blue the Russians used before they all started wanting to

buy Sonys and having Guy Laroche design their Politburo

caps. And such make-up! Perfect '70s Mary Quant, with

these little PVC floral appliqué earrings that looked like

antiskid bathtub stickers from a gay Hollywood tub circe

1956. She really caught the sadness-she was the hippest

person there. Totally."

"They're my children. Adults or not, I just can't kick them

out of the house. It would be cruel. And besides-they're

great cooks."

Back in the late 1970s, when I was fifteen years old, I spent every penny I then had in the bank to fly across the continent in a 747 jet to Brandon, Manitoba, deep in the Canadian prairies, to witness a total eclipse of the sun.
"You see, when you're middle class, you have to live with the fact that history will ignore you. You have to live with the fact that history will never champion your causes and that history will never feel sorry for you. It is the price paid for day-to-day comfort and silence. And because of this price, all happinesses are sterile; all sadnesses go unoticed. And any small moments of intense, flaring beauty such as this morning's will be utterly forgotten, dissolved by time like a super-8 film left out in the rain, without sound, and quickly replaced by thousands of silently growing trees."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031205436X, Paperback)

Generation X is Douglas Coupland's acclaimed salute to the generation born in the late 1950s and 1960s--a generation known vaguely up to then as "twentysomething."

Andy, Claire, and Dag, each in their twenties, have quit "pointless jobs done grudgingly to little applause" in their respective hometowns and cut themselves adrift on the California desert. In search of the drastic changes that will lend meaning to their lives, they've mired themselves in the detritus of American cultural memory. Refugees from history, the three develop an ascetic regime of story-telling, boozing, and working McJobs--"low-pay, low-prestige, low-benefit, no-future jobs in the service industry." They create modern fables of love and death among the cosmetic surgery parlors and cocktail bars of Palm Springs, disturbingly funny tales of nuclear waste, historical overdosing, and mall culture.

A dark snapshot of the trio's highly fortressed inner world quickly emerges--landscapes peopled with dead TV shows, "Elvis moments," and semi-disposable Swedish furniture. And from these landscapes, deeper portraits emerge, those of fanatically independent individuals, pathologically ambivalent about the future and brimming with unsatisfied longings for permanence, for love, and for their own home. Andy, Dag, and Claire are underemployed, overeducated, intensely private, and unpredictable. Like the group they mirror, they have nowhere to assuage their fears, and no culture to replace their anomie.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

Three twenty-something young adults, working at low-paying, no-future jobs, tell one another modern tales of love and death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,865,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible