Sleepless by Cyn Balog

by Cyn Balog

1962760,038 (3.33)15
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (spammie1)
    As You Wish by Jackson Pearce (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Same likable characters, great balance of romance and thriller elements.

This book was another example of Cyn Balog's wonderful imagination at work, by using the old and making it her own. Sleepless is a timeless peice that uses creative elements you rather don't see in other books such as use of sandmen. By the use of the romance tied the book together quite nicely and made it enjoyable to the reader. ( )
  hellion_gold | Jul 9, 2015 |
I have been wanting to read this book since it came out. Possibly even before it came out. I am so happy that I finally have.

When I first started reading it, I wasn’t sure I was going to like it, but I stuck with it and I ended up enjoying it.

I didn’t dislike the characters, but I didn’t love them either. I didn’t really care at all about any of them. Well, Eron was okay. I think that’s why I didn’t love this book.

Overall, it was good. I liked it and I want to keep reading more by this author.

Note: This is an older review. So I don’t feel like I can get more into what I liked and disliked about it. Maybe someday I will re-read Sleepless and do another review. Better reviews (hopefully) in the future. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Mar 30, 2015 |
I devoured this one. It is such a neat concept, and I was drawn into Julia's life. I could relate with her on some levels, and enjoyed the banter between her and Griffin. The writing is good, and it kept a good pace and my attention.
I did feel like Julia changed herself when she met Griffin but I don't know how much of that was self preservation against the spotlight because of what happened when she was younger (I was also curious about this because it doesn't tell much, just that she has scars). But I feel like she got tougher and more able to handle things because of him, so I don't mark that down. I don't like how she is with Bret, and was so glad when that plot thread was settled.
Eron is awesome. I loved that he kept his mannerisms and morals and how he watches out for Julia and even more so when he finds himself in her life in ways he never really imagined.
The ending felt rushed to me though, and I was a little confused as to what exactly happened.

Bottom Line: Great premise, well executed with compelling characters.
  brandileigh2003 | Jun 24, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: This was a cute love story that was pretty predictable, but it was a fun, fast read.

Opening Sentence: Griffin Colburn knew something was wrong the moment he slid into the driver’s seat.

The Review:

Julia’s boyfriend Griffin was just in a horrible car accident where he passed away. She should be really sad right; well Griffin wouldn’t want that so she tries to go on with her life like normal. Unfortunately, everyone is treating her like they did when she was a kid. She had a very traumatic experience when she was 7 years old and everyone pretty much walked on eggshells around her because of it, until Griffin came along. He treated her like a normal human being and finally so did everyone else. Now that he is gone everyone is back to walking on eggshells and Julia doesn’t know what to do about it. She soon meets the mysterious Eron who seems to know way to much about her. He seems so familiar, but the way he acts and dresses is like he is from another time. She really misses Griffin, but she needs to move on with her life.

Eron is a Sandman. Sandmen are in charge of putting you to sleep. They have a few select people that they are assigned to put to sleep every night. Eron has been serving as a sandman for close to 100 years and when his time is up he will be able to become human once again and finish his unfinished business. One of his charges is Julia. He has always had a special spot for her in his heart. Her boyfriend Griffin is supposed to be Eron’s replacement, but he doesn’t seem to fit the mold of being a Sandman very well. Griffin is worried about Julia and keeps breaking the rules of the Sandmen. If Griffin doesn’t shape up and fast, Eron will be stuck as a Sandman for another 100 years. Eron tries to do all that he can to help Griffin and along the way he starts to develop feelings for Julia.

The book is told from both Julia and Eron’s point of view. Julia is a sweet girl that has tried to cover up her past with sarcasm. She hasn’t really talked about what happened to her as a child with anyone — even Griffin. When she started dating Griffin he made her forget, but they never really talked about anything serious even though they dated for a year. When she meets Eron she feels an instant connection and finds that she is more open with him than she has been with anyone. I liked her character, she was cute and fun to get to know.

Eron has been a Sandman for 100 years. He has been watching his charges for that whole time so he knows a few things about the modern day but he is very limited. When he starts to become human again he has a lot to learn before he can fit into the world again. He is totally an old fashioned gentleman and I thought it was sweet. He really cares about Julia. In his first lifetime he was always to afraid to try anything and he is determined to change that with his second chance. I thought that he was a great character.

This was a really fast read for me. It is only 200 pages so I flew through it pretty fast and I enjoyed it. There wasn’t a whole lot that happened, but it was still a fun read. It was a clean, sweet romance. I enjoyed Balog’s writing and I would like to read more of her books in the future. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes YA contemporaries or just want a fun and fast read.

Notable Scene:

She’s wearing a long flowered skirt; it’s delicate and suits her. “Yeah?” she asks in a brusque voice that does not.

“Hello. My name is Eron DeMarchelle,” I say softly, bowing my head in respect.

Behind her, one of the girls shouts in a brash tone better suited toward a bartender, “Take it off, baby!”

Julia turns to them for barely a second and then to me, blushing charmingly. “How do you know my name?”

I could tell her much more about herself, probably more than even she knows, but that is not my purpose. I smile. “You do not know me, but-“

Smack. Something, or someone, hits me on the back of the head. I recoil, wincing, and look around, rubbing the soreness in the back of my head. Nothing there. But I know better.

I clear my throat. “What I wanted to say was-“

I stop midsentence. I feel a twinge and look down at my hands. I can see the fence and blades of grass on the ground through them, just barely. It’s not quite noticeable yet, but I know what is coming. I must flee before I disappear in front of her.

FTC Advisory: Delacorte Press/Random House provided me with a copy of Sleepless. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Mar 20, 2013 |
A twist on the idea of a Sandman... several love interests... a bit stalkerish... overall... I'm neutral in my opinions. ( )
  JRlibrary | Dec 11, 2012 |
Griffin Colburn knew something was wrong the moment he slid into the driver's seat.

Eron, a supernatural being known as a Sandman whose purpose is to seduce humans to sleep, falls in love with a sad teenaged girl who is mourning her boyfriend's death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,948,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible