City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal…

City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments) (edition 2012)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:natalieleclerc
Title:City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

English (173)  Italian (3)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (177)
Not bad, but not entirely convinced a second trilogy was necessary. ( )
  thedreadcat | Apr 9, 2016 |

Originally posted here

Simon has a major role in this book, around 70% of this book centres around him. I didn't like Simon much in City of Bones but I warmed to him in the subsequent books and I loved him in City of Fallen Angels. I am now a fan of Simon, I thought it would never happen! A lot of drama happens to him and it was just darn entertaining from start to finish. Also thanks to Isabelle, Simon's whole look has been transformed and that is a great thing.

Jace has a bunch of issues as well and is very withdrawn throughout the majority of this book. I didn't like stressed Jace, his sass was seriously diminished throughout. It was refreshing to have Clary take a back seat to the story to let other characters shine.
I was really digging the references to Clockwork Angel which was published before this book. I am glad I read Clockwork Angel first because characters from The Infernal Devices pop up or are discussed. Magnus is seriously old, I never really thought about it before.

I would say this has to be the creepiest book of the series so far, there are a lot of seriously messed up things going on with demons and just.... *shivers*. Can't say too much about that. I kind of expected the finale, it just wasn't as shocking as I would have liked. Nevertheless, this is a great book and I love the direction in which the series is going. ( )
  4everfanatical | Mar 31, 2016 |
As mysterious murders threaten the new peace between Shadowhunters and Downworlders, only Simon, the Daylighter vampire, can help bring both groups together.

I just finished the book moments ago, and let me tell you this, though I loved it, I'm so angry at the way this book ended! Where's the Clave? Where is the Silent Brothers? How could they leave Jace under *Spoilers* Sebastian's mercy!? I loved every kissing scene between Jace and Clary, and I loved the new edition to the story, Jordan and Maia's story. For the first time, I could say I found Simon kind of sexy, being a vampire suited him, I don't find the sign of Cain to be a bad thing, it protected him and Clary and Jace, and it killed Lilith. But I think book 5 [City of Lost Souls] will show us Camille's revenge on Simon. I think Jace will break Clary's heart.

I was surprised at the mention of Will Herondale! Is he gay? I thought when I read Clockwork Angel that he was into Tessa Gray!!

Anyway I can't wait till (May 8, 2012) and get my hands on City of Lost Souls!! I hope Jace will be stronger and Clary will save him for once.

From my favorite quotes:

"Jordan looked horrified. "Dude," he said, "do not follow other dudes to the bathroom."

"It was odd, Isabelle thought, watching someone so tall try to make himself look harmless and small."

"I am not a man. I have no male pride for you to trick me with, and I am not interested in single combat. That is entirely a weakness of your sex, not mine. I am a woman. I will use any weapon and all weapons to get what I want."

"You and your name-dropping," he said. "'I knew Michael.' 'I knew Sammael.' 'The angel Gabriel did my hair.' It's like I'm with the Band with biblical figures."

"For a bachelor who'd never had children, Simon thought, Luke had an awful lot of kids to look after." ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

From my favorite quotes:

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I'm not sure why these books get such horrible reviews, maybe because they are young adult books and the reviews are from adults?
With that said let me start with what I didn't like about the book.
The relationship between Jace and Clary.... is annoying at times. I understand their actions but feel sometimes they are a little over dramatized to me especially with Jace. I mean seriously enough with the boo-hoo poor me, you're supposed to be a bad a@@ Shadowhunter man the f up already.
The relationship between Isabelle and Simon, if that's what you want to call it. One minute she hates him, then she's rushing off to save him. He is constantly thinking of Clary and how he feels about her but yet Isabelle's breath is the only heat he has felt since turning? Seriously?
Sebastian/ Jonathan does anybody ever truly die in these books?!

Now on the other hand,
I did find this book enjoyable and easy to read. As with any book I read I try to keep an open mind and not let other books cloud my opinion. Yes, a lot of the twists you can see coming and can predict what will happen but that didn't make it any less appealing to me.
I tend to take an interest in books involving the supernatural and the characters Cassandra Clare created indulge that interest. At the same time they are also real world and you can relate to the way they act and the things they do and say. The settings to me are enchanting especially Idris. I found it intriguing that the one behind Jace's nightmares and the blood donor for Sebatian/Jonathan turn out to be Lillith. Jordan being introduced as a main character in the story was also a nice addition.

I will be reading the rest of the books in the series and would recommend it to friends and fans of the supernatural.
No, I do not watch the show, I watched 5 minutes of one episode and turned it off disgusted. ( )
  Justine23 | Mar 10, 2016 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Quinn, Molly C.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westwick, EdNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are sicknesses that walk in darkness; and there are exterminating angels, that fly wrapt up in the curtains of immateriality and an uncommunicating nature; whom we cannot see, but feel their force, and sink under their sword. -Jeremy Taylor, "A Funeral Sermon"
For Josh, Sommes-nous les deaux livres d'un meme ouvrage?
"Just coffee, please."
The waitress raised her penciled eyebrows. "You don't want anything to eat?" she asked. Her accent was thick, her attitude disappointed.

From the jacket: The Mortal War is over, and sixteen-year-old Clary Fray is back home in New York, excited about all the possibilities before her. She's training to become a Shadowhunter and to use her unique power. Her mother is getting married to the love of her life. Downworlders and Shadowhunters are at peace at last. And—most importantly of all—she can finally call Jace her boyfriend.

But nothing comes without a price.

Someone is murdering Shadowhunters, provoking tensions between Downworlders and Shadowhunters that could lead to a second, bloody war. Clary's best friend, Simon, can't help her. His mother just found out that he's a vampire and now he's homeless. Everywhere he turns, someone wants him on their side—along with the power of the curse that's wrecking his life. And they're willing to do anything to get what they want. Not to mention that he's dating two beautiful, dangerous girls—neither of whom knows about the other one.

When Jace begins to pull away from her without explaining why, Clary is forced to delve into the heart of a mystery whose solution reveals her worst nightmare: she herself has set in motion a terrible chain of events that could lead to her losing everything she loves. Even Jace.

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. The stakes are higher than ever in City of Fallen Angels.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,915,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible