Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You : Dr. Seuss's…

Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You : Dr. Seuss's Book of Wonderful Noises (Bright… (edition 1996)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:paugust
Title:Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You : Dr. Seuss's Book of Wonderful Noises (Bright and Early Board Books)
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1996), Edition: Board, Board book
Tags:Children's

Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? {abridged} by Dr. Seuss

There is something slightly sinister underlying Dr Seuss's choice of material, which is wacky and rollicking but also unsentimental and even cold-eyed in a way that makes me recall his comments on killing Japs.But I haven't quite put my finger on it yet, so now I'll just say I feel about this book neutral to mildly positive (and my synaesthesia finds fascinating but unsettling, like tonguing a scratch on the roof of your mouth, the idea that lightning might go "splat"). ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Apr 21, 2015 |
In my opinion "Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can you?" is a fun and intercative book for young children. The book is by DR. Seuss, so naturally it has some rhyming words. The illustrations also match the text and whats going on, on each page. For example one page says "like a big cat drinking Slurp Slurp Slurp" and the illustration shows the large size of the cat drinking some milk. I also liked that the sound words are in bold and colorful print to show distinction. Another reason I really like this book for a lower grad level is because some of the noices match the animals, so its a fun way to learn/teach animal sounds. For example the book says "He can go like a bee. Mr. Brown can Buzz" (while featuring 2 Bee's in the illustration). ( )
  Lwatso7 | Feb 8, 2015 |
Summary: Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? follows a man named Mr. Brown as he makes all different sounds, from mooing to the sound of lightning and thunder. The illustrations are fun and colorful. The words depicting the sounds Mr. Brown is making are bigger and brighter begging the reader to be fun with the many sounds. The book ends with Mr. Brown whispering. This is a good example of entrainment. The book could easily get a large group excited and riled up, but the whisper forces them to calm down and listen. This is especially good because on the next page, the kids get a chance to imitate the sounds.

Personal Reaction: Anything by Dr.Suess is always amazing. This is one of my favorites. The children love the rhyming, the silly pictures, and the interactive pages. They can't wait until it is their turn to make the silly sounds.

Classroom extension Ideas:
1.) I would have the kids think of an animal or object that makes a sound and have them tell the class about it.

2.) this would be a great book to explain to older kids about onomatopoeias.

3.) I would gather pictures and, after reading the book, I would hold up the pictures and ask the kids to make a sound that goes with the pictures one at a time. ( )
  CamilleSchmidt | Jan 25, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book, which followed Mr. Brown as he encounters various animals and reproduces the sounds they make. After each noise, it is reaffirmed to the reader that "Mr. Brown can ____, can you?" which makes the target audience of young children wish to reproduce the sound as well. I really liked how this book forces the reader to interact with it, or if its being read aloud, encourages interaction between the reader and the one being read too. I also liked the rhyming of this book(in typical Dr. Suess fashion) and the fact that this book introduces a number of examples of onomatopoeia. The message of this book is that people should try new things, like making various animal noises that they may or may not have been exposed to before.

Reading level: preK-1 ( )
  AdamLarson | Dec 9, 2014 |
Great word play from the master. ( )
1 vote gbill | Sep 27, 2014 |
this is an adapted version for babies - please do not combine with the early reader

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679882820, Board book)

Oh, the wonderful things Mr. Brown can do! In this "Book of Wonderful Noises," Mr. Brown struts his stuff, as he imitates everything from popping corks to horse feet ("pop pop pop pop" and "klopp klopp klopp," respectively) while inviting everyone to join him in the fun. Young readers who are still learning their sounds and letters will get a wacky workout as they follow along with the very serious-looking, squinty-eyed Mr. Brown. Whether it's eggs frying in a pan or a hippo chewing gum, the skillful Mr. Brown just keeps topping himself, with a "sizzle sizzle" or a "grum grum grum." "Mr. Brown is so smart he can even do this: he can even make a noise like a goldfish kiss!... pip!" As usual, the words and pictures of Dr. Seuss make reading (and making all sorts of funny noises) impossible to resist. Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? will stay fresh through many a giggling reading. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

Mr. Brown is an expert at imitating all sorts of noises.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,903,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible