Heart of Darkness: The Darkest AngelLove Me…

Heart of Darkness: The Darkest AngelLove Me to DeathLady of the Nile by… (edition 2010)

by Gena Showalter, Maggie Shayne (Author), Susan Krinard (Author)

Member:yrizaria
Title:Heart of Darkness: The Darkest AngelLove Me to DeathLady of the Nile by Gena Showalter
Authors:Gena Showalter
Other authors:Maggie Shayne (Author), Susan Krinard (Author)
Info:HQN Books (2010), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Nook
Rating:***
Tags:paranormal, romance, short stories, anthology

Heart of Darkness (The Darkest Angel / Love Me to Death / Lady of the Nile) by Gena Showalter (Contributor)

This is a collection of three short stories. Overall, the only really good one was Gena Showalter’s.

The Darkest Angel by Gena Showalter is up first. This story takes place in her Lords of the Underworld series. It doesn’t have much to do with the Lords though. They mostly just had some cameos with a bit of explanation of what has happened to them in previous books. In fact, eliminating their presence in the story probably would have made it flow together better.

The actual plot follows an angel, Lysander, who falls in love with a harpy named Bianka. Lysander feels an attraction to Bianka that he has never felt before. This leads him to believe that she is his temptation to fall. So he kidnaps her with the intention of turning her away from the dark side. However, Bianka has no intention of letting an overbearing angel change her. So she does everything in her power to annoy the crap out of him until he decides to release her.

One thing that I really disliked about this story was how the conflict of Lysander being ashamed of Bianka was resolved. It came out of nowhere. We never saw any evidence in the rest of the story to support the turning point that Showalter inserts near the end. It made the ending feel rushed and like a cop-out. All in all though, I really enjoyed this story. The best part is how seamlessly Showalter merges Greek and Angel mythology together. Her world building for her angels was interesting and I only wish we could’ve explored that more.
Individual rating: 4/5

Love Me to Death by Maggie Shayne is up next and it was by far the worst out of the three. This one bored me to death. It started off like a Stephen King story where a group of grown men get back together in the small town where something traumatizing happened to them as teens. That traumatizing event is that in high school they accidently burnt down a building resulting in a girl their age being killed. But now they’ve all been visited by the dead girl who each believes is her ghost out for revenge. If this was a King story the ghost would really be after them and the rest of the story would read like It. However this is a romance, so really it’s the reincarnation of the girl the boys killed. She’s been having dreams about her past life and comes to the small town for answers. Through doing this, she scares the crap out of the men and accidents occur until the hero of the story chases her down and demands answers. This story just really did not hold my attention at all. The characters were dull and the plot was extremely rushed. I have the feeling this could have been a much better full length story. Where Shayne would have had time to flesh out the characters and take her time drawing out the suspense of the mystery and ghost story.
Individual rating: 2

Lady of the Nile by Susan Krinard is the last story in the series. It wasn’t bad, but it just felt out of place in this anthology. It’s a historical paranormal romance. Lady Tameri believes she’s the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian princess. Leo, an archeologist, is hell bent on saving her from her delusions. Leo’s reasoning for sticking his nose in Tameri’s business is that he had a relative who had similar delusions to Tameri who killed himself after being unable to convince anyone of his past life. Believing that he can save Tameri from that same fate, he sets out to help her under the guise of his willingness to be convinced that she really is an Egyptian Princess. This was a pretty smooth story. Krinard uses Egyptian mythology fairly well throughout and the characters are interesting. There’s also an interesting antagonist who keeps things from getting dull.
Individual rating: 3/5
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I only read the first story, The Darkest Angel, but I loved it. It was a very good addition to the LOTU series. ( )
  jazzyereader | Jan 13, 2015 |
The Darkest Angel
I have been feinding for a 'Lords' story for awhile now, and I definitely was not disappointed. Gena Showalter has a very specific writing style, I could recognize it even without knowing she wrote it, and that's an awesome thing, in my opinion. I loved this story, it was sweet, sizzling hot and just cute. I am glad Gena Showalter is expanding her characters as well...we now have sexy angels, and probably more demons to play with. Great story, loved the entire thing. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Love Me To Death
This was the first time I had read anything by Maggi Shayne. I think I definitely found a new author to read, this story was great. It wasn't easily predictable and was incredibly sexy and drawing, I was in for the long haul from page one. The characters were well developed for such a short story and I can't wait to read the series that is related to it, when the author starts putting them out.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lady of the Nile
This was a short sweet and spicy historical/paranormal-ish romance story. I quite liked it, I really like Leo's character, even if he is a bit stubborn for his own good. I liked these two together as well. I will have to find more books by Susan Krinard. I like her writing style.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Frankly, I only read it for the Gena Showalater novella. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Rating for "The Darkest Angel" and "Love Me to Death." ( )
  CupcakeMom | Feb 12, 2014 |

Showalter, GenaContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Krinard, SusanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shayne, MaggieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gena Showalter's The Darkest Angel:

From high in the heavens, Lysander spotted his prey.
Maggie Shayne's Love Me to Death:

Valentine's Day, Twenty-two Years Ago
Port Lucinda, Maine

David took a long pull from the bottle.
Susan Krinard's Lady of the Nile:

London, 1890

"You are quite incorrect."

From the masters of paranormal romance, three brand-new tales of seduction…

The Darkest Angel by Gena Showalter (A Lords of the Underworld tale)
An iron-willed demon assassin, the angel Lysander has never known lust—until he meets Bianka. Spawned from the bloodline of Lucifer, the beautiful but deadly Harpy is determined to lead the pure-hearted Lysander into temptation….

Love Me to Death by Maggie Shayne
Twenty-two years ago four teenage boys were convicted of a young girl's murder. Now, in the form of a beautiful woman, the "victim" is seeking vengeance. And only one man dares to dig into the past to uncover its secrets… and set her free.

Lady of the Nile by Susan Krinard
Lady Tameri believes herself to be the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian princess, and Leo Erskine has set out to prove her wrong…never dreaming that the two of them are about to discover a prophecy that will bind them together forever.

The darkest angel: "An iron-willed demon assassin, the angel Lysander has never known lust--until he meets Bianka. Spawned from the bloodline of Lucifer, the beautiful but deadly Harpy is determined to lead the pure-hearted Lysander into temptation...."--P. [4] of cover. Love me to death: "Twenty-two years ago four teenage boys were convicted of a young girl's murder. Now, in the form of a beautiful woman, the 'victim' is seeking vengeance. And only one man dares to dig into the past to uncover its secrets...and set her free."--P. [4] of cover. Lady of the Nile: "Lady Tameri believes herself to be the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian princess, and Leo Erskine has set out to prove her wrong...never dreaming that the two of them are about to discover a prophecy that will bind them together forever."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,751,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible