Love Songs from a Shallow Grave: A Dr. Siri…

Love Songs from a Shallow Grave: A Dr. Siri Investigation Set in Laos (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Colin Cotterill

2712060,833 (4.07)108
Member:funkendub
Title:Love Songs from a Shallow Grave: A Dr. Siri Investigation Set in Laos
Authors:Colin Cotterill
Info:Soho Crime (2010), Hardcover, 304 pages

Love Songs From a Shallow Grave by Colin Cotterill (2010)

Enjoyable and easy read. I wonder what a reader would think starting with this volume without having read the others. I suspect the reader would pay more attention and maybe enjoy it a bit more. I resolve to read the next book better without falling back on the comfort of old acquaintance. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
Wow. This book left me rather breathless. Dr. Siri is a coroner in Vietiene, Laos. The year is 1978. The story is told in what seems like flashbacks, of Siri’s impending death, where and when is not revealed until near the end. Dr. Siri is called to a death scene in a formerly American compound, now home to much of the politicos of Vietiene. A woman is found dead with a sword through the heart and a Z carved on her thigh. The next day another and eventually 3 bodies are in Dr. Siri’s rather pathetic excuse for a morgue. The story was involved and intriguing. Character driven plot with humor and very dark overtones. One of the best books I’ve read which challenged me. I will be reading more in the future. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Dec 20, 2017 |
serial-killer, madness, murder-investigation, Khymer Rouge, historical-fiction, historical-places-events, history-and-culture, verbal-humor, Indo-China

Once again, there are convoluted converging plots here. The investigation into a series of homicides committed daily x 3 with a weapon incongruous to Indochina is further complicated by the varied communists from Russia, China, and Vietnam. The other part is a cautionary tale in the guise of Dr Siri's experiences in Cambodia during the bloodbath that was the Khymer Rouge. If you are too young to remember and are lucky enough not to have lost anyone during this horror, I do assure you that it was at least as horrific as depicted in this book. Despite that, the detective fiction aspect was excellent!
I commend narrator Clive Chafer for being able to perform the gruesome aspects with a reasonably unemotional voice. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jul 8, 2017 |
Dr. Siri ends up in Cambodia on a supposedly diplomatic mission during the terror of the Khmer Rouge, in spite of a serial murder investigation he's trying to solve. ( )
  ffortsa | Jan 20, 2017 |
Dr. Siri is just trying to watch a movie with his lovely wife, Madame Daeng, when he is rudely called away to examine the naked body of a young female security officer found in a sauna with an epee through the heart. In quick succession two more women are found murdered in the same manner. Dr. Siri can't just be the national (and reluctant) coroner. He needs to find out who did this before the wrong man is condemned in public court. There is one problem, Dr. Siri is the only one who believes they have the wrong man and he's locked up in a Cambodian prison. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Nov 9, 2016 |

Colin Cotterillprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crafter, CliveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would like to thank all of you who have taken the trouble to write to express your affection for Dr. Siri, and all of our fans who journeyed with us through 1970s Laos.

For making this installment particularly special, I would like to thank Bert, Bounlanh, Judy, Art, Mac, Leila, Lizzie, Laurie, my lovely Jess, Bob, Bambina, Dad, Tony, Kay, Martina, Charlotte, Jack, Jim, Martin, Valérie, and the entire Williams family, especially Heather.

But this volume is dedicated to the spirits of the Khmer who perished under Pol Pot and the resourceful souls who survived. "There's always someone worse off than you, unless you're Cambodian." (Dr. Siri Paiboun, 1978).
I celebrate the dawn of my seventy-fourth birthday hand-cuffed to a lead pipe.

When a female security officer is discovered stabbed through the heart with a fencing sword, Dr. Siri's instincts tell him there is more to the mystery than anyone can imagine.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,704,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible