Love Songs from a Shallow Grave: A Dr Siri…

Love Songs from a Shallow Grave: A Dr Siri Murder Mystery (Dr Siri Paiboun… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Colin Cotterill

Member:jgsn
Title:Love Songs from a Shallow Grave: A Dr Siri Murder Mystery (Dr Siri Paiboun Mystery 7)
Authors:Colin Cotterill
Info:Quercus (2010), Kindle Edition, 296 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, Kindle
Rating:*****
Tags:Roman, GB, Laos, Kambodscha

Love Songs From a Shallow Grave by Colin Cotterill (2010)

Dr. Siri Paiboun is investigating a serial killer whose murders of three women have been committed with very sharp fencing swords. Who, what, and why? In the midst of his investigation he is invited to attend a conference in Cambodia. What could possibly go wrong with an all expenses paid trip? It seems like one never knows, as he winds up in trouble with the authorities in Cambodia who are trying to hide the atrocities that are being committed.

As I was driving while listening to this one, I was wishing I was reading the print version so that I could look up the history of "the killing fields" in Cambodia in the late 1970's. I did look it up afterwards, and was horrified by the events that had taken place. I feel that I should have known more about this time in history.

The book, 7th in the series, did have much of the humor of the earlier books in the series, and the usual characters make their appearances. But this one and the one before it (The Merry Misogynist) were much darker than the previous books. ( )
  NanaCC | May 16, 2016 |
Three women have been killed in quick succession, each by a fencing sword that was plunged through their hearts. Siri's police colleague Phosy is in charge of the investigation and soon appears to discover the identity of the culprit, but Siri is not so sure he's found the right person, and suggests he looks again.

However, the murder story is interspersed with glimpses of Siri, locked up in a jail, starved and tortured in an attempt to make him confess to being a spy. Is this one of his dreams? Or is it something about to happen to him when he accompanies his Politburo friend Civilai to Cambodia, on an official visit? It turns out to be the latter. There is a agonizing account of the appalling atrocities that are taking place there, told to Siri in secret, by a girl who watched as a soldier decapitated her father in front of her. Siri escapes his minders and goes for a walk himself in the neighborhood. Here he finds desolate and abandoned homes, as a result of the massacres, before he is captured and taken off to jail and chained to a lead pipe.

Love Songs from a Shallow Grave alternates between the hunt for the serial killer in Laos and the horrors that Siri endures in Phnom Penh. There are a few comic asides, and one or more poignant tales that make up the novel, but overall, it is a less comedic book than previous ones. It is always difficult to keep the momentum going with a long running series featuring the same cast of characters, but the author appears to have found a new twist yet again, and this latest edition is one of my favorites.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
This story is told in a little different fashion than other books in the Dr. Siri series. We move back and forth between two stories, and I wasn't quite sure what was going on in one of the story lines until we have some convergence. This story seemed a little more of a history lesson than the other Dr. Siri books and it made me a little sad. The book preceding this, "The Merry Misogynist" was a pretty dark tale and this one goes a step further that way with less humor to balance it. This is one of the better books in the series, but it oddly got a little draggy and close to boring with the prison sequence. I've now read all nine of these stories and finished this series. ( )
  RBeffa | Sep 29, 2013 |
One of the things I really enjoy about the Dr Siri series is that amidst the murder mystery that must be solved, there is always history to be learned. In this book, Dr Siri goes on a government trip with his old pal, Civilai, to Cambodia in the middle of an investigation into a serial killing involving 3 women murdered with what appears to be epees. His visit to Cambodia brings back memories of his previous visit to the Phnom Penh and he's dismayed when he learns of the horrors of the killing fields. ( )
  cameling | Sep 8, 2013 |
One of the best in the series. The writing is sharp, I appreciate Cotterill's care with word choice. The dual plotlines almost drive you through the book. ( )
  sriemann | Mar 30, 2013 |

Colin Cotterillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crafter, CliveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would like to thank all of you who have taken the trouble to write to express your affection for Dr. Siri, and all of our fans who journeyed with us through 1970s Laos.

For making this installment particularly special, I would like to thank Bert, Bounlanh, Judy, Art, Mac, Leila, Lizzie, Laurie, my lovely Jess, Bob, Bambina, Dad, Tony, Kay, Martina, Charlotte, Jack, Jim, Martin, Valérie, and the entire Williams family, especially Heather.

But this volume is dedicated to the spirits of the Khmer who perished under Pol Pot and the resourceful souls who survived. "There's always someone worse off than you, unless you're Cambodian." (Dr. Siri Paiboun, 1978).
I celebrate the dawn of my seventy-fourth birthday hand-cuffed to a lead pipe.

When a female security officer is discovered stabbed through the heart with a fencing sword, Dr. Siri's instincts tell him there is more to the mystery than anyone can imagine.

90 wanted4 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,886,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible