Spooky Little Girl by Laurie Notaro

Spooky Little Girl

by Laurie Notaro

Ugh, no. Poorly written, poorly edited. I gave up after 55 pages and 3 grammatical errors. I also had a hard time liking the main character, though maybe if I stuck with it she may have grown on me? I couldn't get past the choppy writing and typos, though, so I guess we'll never know! ( )
  LAKobow | Mar 5, 2015 |
One of the better ghost stories I have come across, reminding me of Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella. Lucy Fisher knows all about the phrase 'Life's a bitch and then you die' - her fiancé makes her homeless without a word of explanation, she loses her job, has to move in with her sister, and then loses a fight with a bus. But for Lucy, life starts after death.

OK, so the whole plot is a cheesy set of clichés, affectionately 'borrowed' from movies like Ghost and Poltergeist, and the tone shifts into chick lit overdrive in the final few chapters, but Lucy is endearing enough to make the reader cheer her on in the fight against clingy, tasteless replacement girlfriends and fake spiritualists. Tulip really won my heart, though! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Feb 12, 2015 |
Lucy Fisher’s life is far from uneventful. On the day she returns from a disastrous Hawaiian vacation, she finds her possessions on the front lawn and that her fiancé has changed the locks. The next day she is accused of embezzlement, fails a drug test and gets fired from her job. The day after that, Lucy is flattened by a city bus. This enormously entertaining novel combines the conventions of domestic and paranormal fiction and skewers every cultural reference to the afterlife from Mitch Albom to Patrick Swayze. Enjoy!
  vplprl | Dec 3, 2013 |
Funny, easy summer read. It was the urban fantasy fans answer to chick-lit. ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
Lucy comes home from a girl's trip to Hawaii to find that her fiancee has thrown her out of the house and changed the locks without a word. That's the beginning of Lucy's problems that lead to her absentmindedly walking in front of a bus and landing in a classroom to learn how to be a ghost. If she doesn't complete the task that will tie up the loose strings of her life she will be stuck on earth forever.

The first couple of chapters didn't do much for me and I thought about tossing this one aside, but I kept going because I've liked Notaro's books of essays. And the story became much more interesting once Lucy was dead; Notaro creates a unique version of the afterlife. ( )
  mstrust | Sep 15, 2013 |
To my Nana, who I hope is eating Italian cookies, having coffee, and playing cards with her friends and my Pop Pop (and maybe even Paul Newman) wherever she is now. We miss you.
The very moment when the cab pulled up to the curb, Lucy Fisher knew that she was seeing something exceptional.

Death is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.

Coming home from a Hawaiian vacation with her best girlfriends, Lucy Fisher is stunned to find everything she owns tossed out on her front lawn, the locks changed, and her fiancé’s phone disconnected—plus she’s just lost her job. With her world spinning wildly out of her control, Lucy decides to make a new start and moves upstate to live with her sister and nephew.

But then things take an even more dramatic turn: A fatal encounter with public transportation lands Lucy not in the hereafter but in the nearly hereafter. She’s back in school, learning the parameters of spooking and how to become a successful spirit in order to complete a ghostly assignment. If Lucy succeeds, she’s guaranteed a spot in the next level of the afterlife—but until then, she’s stuck as a ghost in the last place she would ever want to be.

Trying to avoid being trapped on earth for all eternity, Lucy crosses the line between life and death and back again when she returns home. Navigating the perilous channels of the paranormal, she’s determined to find out why her life crumbled and why, despite her ghastly death, no one seems to have noticed she’s gone. But urgency on the spectral plane—in the departed person of her feisty grandmother, who is risking both their eternal lives—requires attention, and Lucy realizes that you get only one chance to be spectacular in death.

"Coming home from a Hawaiian vacation with her best girlfriends, Lucy Fisher is stunned to find everything she owns tossed out on her front lawn, the locks changed, and her fiance's phone disconnected, plus she's just lost her job. With her world spinning wildly out of her control, Lucy decides to make a new start and moves upstate to live with her sister and nephew. But then things take an even more dramatic turn: A fatal encounter with public transportation lands Lucy not in the hereafter but in the nearly hereafter. She's back in school, learning the parameters of spooking and how to become a successful spirit in order to complete a ghostly assignment. If Lucy succeeds, she's guaranteed a spot in the next level of the afterlife -- but until then, she's stuck as a ghost in the last place she would ever want to be. Trying to avoid being trapped on earth for all eternity, Lucy crosses the line between life and death and back again when she returns home. Navigating the perilous channels of the paranormal, she's determined to find out why her life crumbled and why, despite her ghastly death, no one seems to have noticed she's gone. But urgency on the spectral plane, in the departed person of her feisty grandmother, who is risking both their eternal lives, requires attention, and Lucy realizes that you get only one chance to be spectacular in death"--Cover, p. 4.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Spooky Little Girl by Laurie Notaro was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,721,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible