Spooky Little Girl by Laurie Notaro

Spooky Little Girl

by Laurie Notaro

Lowcountry Boil by Susan M. Boyer (CcanRead)
    CcanRead: There's some common threads in these two novels- one of them being the obvious, that the main characters both see ghosts. Both books also have a level of humor in the writing and dialogue.

Lucy Fisher’s life is far from uneventful. On the day she returns from a disastrous Hawaiian vacation, she finds her possessions on the front lawn and that her fiancé has changed the locks. The next day she is accused of embezzlement, fails a drug test and gets fired from her job. The day after that, Lucy is flattened by a city bus. This enormously entertaining novel combines the conventions of domestic and paranormal fiction and skewers every cultural reference to the afterlife from Mitch Albom to Patrick Swayze. Enjoy!
  vplprl | Dec 3, 2013 |
Funny, easy summer read. It was the urban fantasy fans answer to chick-lit. ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
Lucy comes home from a girl's trip to Hawaii to find that her fiancee has thrown her out of the house and changed the locks without a word. That's the beginning of Lucy's problems that lead to her absentmindedly walking in front of a bus and landing in a classroom to learn how to be a ghost. If she doesn't complete the task that will tie up the loose strings of her life she will be stuck on earth forever.

The first couple of chapters didn't do much for me and I thought about tossing this one aside, but I kept going because I've liked Notaro's books of essays. And the story became much more interesting once Lucy was dead; Notaro creates a unique version of the afterlife. ( )
  mstrust | Sep 15, 2013 |
When Lucy dies unexpectedly, she finds herself a ghost-in-training and is assigned a task back on earth. She ends up in her old house, haunting her ex-fiancee and his new girlfriend.

I love Notaro's non-fiction, so I was curious as to what this novel would be like. I thought it was bittersweet and very funny.

So...if I'm dead, why am I wearing underwear? ( )
  saramllr | Dec 19, 2011 |
I love Laurie Notaro. I do. Even before I knew who Jen Lancaster was, I was getting splitting stitches in my side from laughing at her misadventures since The Idiot Girls’ Action-Adventure Club. Also, I am totally addicted to the TV show Ghost Adventures; so if Laurie Notaro and Ghost Adventures had a love child, it would be Spooky Little Girl.

This is by far the funniest book I have read so far this year. I chose this novel because I needed one with a size in the title for the What’s in a Name? Challenge. The truth is I really wasn’t looking forward to reading it. Although I love her true-life comedy books, I tried to read Ms. Notaro’s first attempt at fiction and sadly couldn’t make it past page 10. I’m glad I gave this one a try because it was quite a pleasant surprise.

After returning from a bad vacation in Hawaii – I didn’t think that was possible – Lucy returns to have her stuff thrown all across the lawn of the home she shares with her fiancé Martin. Then she is fired from her job. With a broken heart, unemployed Lucy moves in with her sister Alice (great name). And if things aren’t terrible enough for her, on her way to the unemployment office she accidentally steps in front of a bus and meets an unexpected and early demise. What happens next is one of the best ghost stories (okay, this only ghost story) I have ever read.

Lucy endures weeks of “spook” training before heading back to earth to complete an assignment before she heads to the “State,” her final destination. Lucy hopes to return to Alice’s house, to help her sister, but things never happen as planned, even in death. Lucy heads right back to Martin’s house to complete her mission. What ensues is a very humorous adventure to solve the mysterious mission.

I loved the characters in this novel. Naunie, Lucy’s grandmother was fantastic. She reminded me a bit of Grandma Mazur from Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series. She had plenty of moxie. I love how Ms. Notaro explains the many Lady in White ghosts. You know whom I am talking about, no matter where you are there is always a legend of a Lady in White ghost. (Annie from Annie’s Road in Totowa, NJ is our local Lady in White.) I also enjoyed being party of Lucy’s relationship with Tulip, her rescued dog. And the ghost hunt/séance scene still makes me crack up just thinking of it.

Overall, this is a great book that will appeal to lovers of the paranormal or to anyone who believes in a second chance to get it right. And even if you don’t believe in second chances, there is always laughter. And who doesn’t like to laugh? ( )
  ForSix | Oct 27, 2011 |
To my Nana, who I hope is eating Italian cookies, having coffee, and playing cards with her friends and my Pop Pop (and maybe even Paul Newman) wherever she is now. We miss you.
The very moment when the cab pulled up to the curb, Lucy Fisher knew that she was seeing something exceptional.

Death is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.

Coming home from a Hawaiian vacation with her best girlfriends, Lucy Fisher is stunned to find everything she owns tossed out on her front lawn, the locks changed, and her fiancé’s phone disconnected—plus she’s just lost her job. With her world spinning wildly out of her control, Lucy decides to make a new start and moves upstate to live with her sister and nephew.

But then things take an even more dramatic turn: A fatal encounter with public transportation lands Lucy not in the hereafter but in the nearly hereafter. She’s back in school, learning the parameters of spooking and how to become a successful spirit in order to complete a ghostly assignment. If Lucy succeeds, she’s guaranteed a spot in the next level of the afterlife—but until then, she’s stuck as a ghost in the last place she would ever want to be.

Trying to avoid being trapped on earth for all eternity, Lucy crosses the line between life and death and back again when she returns home. Navigating the perilous channels of the paranormal, she’s determined to find out why her life crumbled and why, despite her ghastly death, no one seems to have noticed she’s gone. But urgency on the spectral plane—in the departed person of her feisty grandmother, who is risking both their eternal lives—requires attention, and Lucy realizes that you get only one chance to be spectacular in death.

"Coming home from a Hawaiian vacation with her best girlfriends, Lucy Fisher is stunned to find everything she owns tossed out on her front lawn, the locks changed, and her fiance's phone disconnected, plus she's just lost her job. With her world spinning wildly out of her control, Lucy decides to make a new start and moves upstate to live with her sister and nephew. But then things take an even more dramatic turn: A fatal encounter with public transportation lands Lucy not in the hereafter but in the nearly hereafter. She's back in school, learning the parameters of spooking and how to become a successful spirit in order to complete a ghostly assignment. If Lucy succeeds, she's guaranteed a spot in the next level of the afterlife -- but until then, she's stuck as a ghost in the last place she would ever want to be. Trying to avoid being trapped on earth for all eternity, Lucy crosses the line between life and death and back again when she returns home. Navigating the perilous channels of the paranormal, she's determined to find out why her life crumbled and why, despite her ghastly death, no one seems to have noticed she's gone. But urgency on the spectral plane, in the departed person of her feisty grandmother, who is risking both their eternal lives, requires attention, and Lucy realizes that you get only one chance to be spectacular in death"--Cover, p. 4.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Spooky Little Girl by Laurie Notaro was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,383,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible