Spooky Little Girl by Laurie Notaro

Spooky Little Girl

by Laurie Notaro

A fun but not amazing read. I liked Lucy much better after she kicked it -- for the first couple chapters she comes across as super self-involved and hard to connect to. (I suspect that's partly a side effect of the author's attempt to hold certain facts back to give the book some suspense.) Lucy's grandmother is hilarious, and the book truly hits its stride once she enters the story. The author's excellent grasp of the ridiculous (and the recommendations of the book club) makes me want to go read some of her nonfiction.

Bonus? The plot doesn't go where I expect. Which I'm counting as a spoiler, because there's nothing like someone telling me there's a plot twist to make me spot it far in advance. And this isn't a twist so much as an unusual direction for one of my 'fluff' reading choices. For some reason, I'd thought she would be jumping back into her life at the end -- a misreading/misremembering of the cover copy maybe -- but the actual ending is much more satisfying.

One thing I found slightly odd was the change in POV from the third person limited at the start of the novel to multiple third person viewpoints at end. The POV is extremely tight at the beginning -- everything is filtered through Lucy's eyes and thoughts. But towards the end other viewpoints start slipping in -- her sister, her former fiancee, her friends... In fact, the resolution relies heavily on having those outsider views available, otherwise much of the climax flat-out wouldn't make sense. While I found the switch that far into the book to be slightly disconcerting, I can't imagine telling the story any other way. So be ready for that? ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
Ugh, no. Poorly written, poorly edited. I gave up after 55 pages and 3 grammatical errors. I also had a hard time liking the main character, though maybe if I stuck with it she may have grown on me? I couldn't get past the choppy writing and typos, though, so I guess we'll never know! ( )
  LAKobow | Mar 5, 2015 |
One of the better ghost stories I have come across, reminding me of Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella. Lucy Fisher knows all about the phrase 'Life's a bitch and then you die' - her fiancé makes her homeless without a word of explanation, she loses her job, has to move in with her sister, and then loses a fight with a bus. But for Lucy, life starts after death.

OK, so the whole plot is a cheesy set of clichés, affectionately 'borrowed' from movies like Ghost and Poltergeist, and the tone shifts into chick lit overdrive in the final few chapters, but Lucy is endearing enough to make the reader cheer her on in the fight against clingy, tasteless replacement girlfriends and fake spiritualists. Tulip really won my heart, though! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Feb 12, 2015 |
Lucy Fisher’s life is far from uneventful. On the day she returns from a disastrous Hawaiian vacation, she finds her possessions on the front lawn and that her fiancé has changed the locks. The next day she is accused of embezzlement, fails a drug test and gets fired from her job. The day after that, Lucy is flattened by a city bus. This enormously entertaining novel combines the conventions of domestic and paranormal fiction and skewers every cultural reference to the afterlife from Mitch Albom to Patrick Swayze. Enjoy!
  vplprl | Dec 3, 2013 |
Funny, easy summer read. It was the urban fantasy fans answer to chick-lit. ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
To my Nana, who I hope is eating Italian cookies, having coffee, and playing cards with her friends and my Pop Pop (and maybe even Paul Newman) wherever she is now. We miss you.
The very moment when the cab pulled up to the curb, Lucy Fisher knew that she was seeing something exceptional.

Death is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.

Coming home from a Hawaiian vacation with her best girlfriends, Lucy Fisher is stunned to find everything she owns tossed out on her front lawn, the locks changed, and her fiancé’s phone disconnected—plus she’s just lost her job. With her world spinning wildly out of her control, Lucy decides to make a new start and moves upstate to live with her sister and nephew.

But then things take an even more dramatic turn: A fatal encounter with public transportation lands Lucy not in the hereafter but in the nearly hereafter. She’s back in school, learning the parameters of spooking and how to become a successful spirit in order to complete a ghostly assignment. If Lucy succeeds, she’s guaranteed a spot in the next level of the afterlife—but until then, she’s stuck as a ghost in the last place she would ever want to be.

Trying to avoid being trapped on earth for all eternity, Lucy crosses the line between life and death and back again when she returns home. Navigating the perilous channels of the paranormal, she’s determined to find out why her life crumbled and why, despite her ghastly death, no one seems to have noticed she’s gone. But urgency on the spectral plane—in the departed person of her feisty grandmother, who is risking both their eternal lives—requires attention, and Lucy realizes that you get only one chance to be spectacular in death.

"Coming home from a Hawaiian vacation with her best girlfriends, Lucy Fisher is stunned to find everything she owns tossed out on her front lawn, the locks changed, and her fiance's phone disconnected, plus she's just lost her job. With her world spinning wildly out of her control, Lucy decides to make a new start and moves upstate to live with her sister and nephew. But then things take an even more dramatic turn: A fatal encounter with public transportation lands Lucy not in the hereafter but in the nearly hereafter. She's back in school, learning the parameters of spooking and how to become a successful spirit in order to complete a ghostly assignment. If Lucy succeeds, she's guaranteed a spot in the next level of the afterlife -- but until then, she's stuck as a ghost in the last place she would ever want to be. Trying to avoid being trapped on earth for all eternity, Lucy crosses the line between life and death and back again when she returns home. Navigating the perilous channels of the paranormal, she's determined to find out why her life crumbled and why, despite her ghastly death, no one seems to have noticed she's gone. But urgency on the spectral plane, in the departed person of her feisty grandmother, who is risking both their eternal lives, requires attention, and Lucy realizes that you get only one chance to be spectacular in death"--Cover, p. 4.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Laurie Notaro's book Spooky Little Girl was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,367,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible