Dead Like You by Peter James

Dead Like You (2010)

by Peter James

English (21)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (25)
4.5 Stars. Another excellent read I. This series. These are police procedural so i. The real sense of the world, including the meetings they have at the beginning and end of each day to discuss the case and what the various members of the team have found out, and tasks are given. I like this feature a lot. We also have an interesting group of characters who interrelate well. A key strength is also being with the murderer and suspect at various points in the story which adds significantly to the story. There are plenty of twists and red herrings. I worked out who the murderer was quite early in the story but this was still a very enjoyable book despite this. Although there is also a key twist towards the end! ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
In the sixth book of the DS Roy Grace series by Peter James, things are starting to look more positive for Roy. Even though he's still haunted by the unexplained disappearance of his wife, Sandy, ten years ago, he's engaged to his new love, Cleo. They are expecting their first child and Roy seems as happy as we've ever seen him. Our story really begins in 1997, when a 29-year-old Grace begins his investigation of a serial rapist, known as the Shoe Man, who was believed to have raped at least five women and in all likelihood raped and killed a sixth victim whose body has never been found. Flash forward to the present where a woman is attacked and viciously raped in Brighton with one of her high-heeled, designer shoes. Grace now realizes that the attack is almost identical to the Shoe Man case he worked on in 1997. As the pattern begins to repeat, Grace and his team find themselves in a furious hunt to find a dangerous man. One of the things I really enjoyed about this book was that it switched back and forth between the police, several suspect rapists, and victims, giving readers insight into these crimes. The characters were all well written and there were a couple of interesting twists at the end. This is a very enjoyable series and I look forward to continuing it. " ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Detective Superintendent Roy Grace is forever haunted by the unexplained disappearance of his wife, Sandy, nearly ten years ago. Ever since she went missing, he's been consumed with finding out what happened to her. Finally, he may be moving on. He has fallen in love and is going to marry his girlfriend, Cleo, who is pregnant with their child. But his life is put on hold when, after a wild New Year's Eve ball, a woman is brutally raped as she returns to her hotel room. A week later, another woman is attacked. Both victims' shoes are taken by their attacker. Grace soon realizes that these new cases bear remarkable similarities to an unsolved series of crimes in the city back in 1997. The perpetrator had been dubbed "Shoe Man" and was believed to have raped four women before murdering his fifth victim and vanishing. Could this be a copycat, or has Shoe Man resurfaced? When more women are assaulted, Grace becomes increasingly certain that they are dealing with the same man. By delving back into the past--a time when Sandy was still in his life--he may find the key to unlocking the current mystery. Soon Grace and his team find themselves in a desperate race against the clock to identify and save the life of the new sixth victim, as he struggles with a chapter in his life he thought he had put behind him at last.

My Thoughts:

We find DCI Roy Grace with two rapes occurring in the present time and the team following the clues that may lead to an individual dubbed "The Shoeman". From there the chase is on to find and stop him before another woman is taken and tortured. There are a number of credible suspects... who if not guilty of the rapes...are certainly up to something no good. The narration alternates between action in 1997 and the present day... which I initially found a bit confusing, but I got into the rhythm of it. All the police procedural aspects of the story are first rate and drive the narrative in a realistic way. The suspense builds credibly throughout with the book culminating in the last few chapters with Grace and his team attempting to locate and liberate the most recent victim. Dead Like You is brimming over with red herrings and false trails. The book gripped me from beginning to end... and it's always rather nice when every loose thread isn't entirely tied up. Gives the reader food for thought. Overall...an excellent read by a fantastic author. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
One of my favorite series, Dead Like You is the sixth book in Peter James’ series featuring DS Roy Grace of Brighton. This book has Grace tracking down a serial rapist that appears to have become active again after a more than 10 year gap. In 1997, this rapist was believed to have viciously raped four women before actually murdering his fifth victim and vanishing. Is this a copycat or has this rapist returned?

As more women fall victim, DS Grace becomes certain that this is the same man. Digging back into the past also brings Roy Grace full circle back into the time when his wife Sandy disappeared. He is finally very happy in his personal life, he is very much in love and he and his partner , Cleo, are expecting a baby, they are just waiting for the paperwork declaring his first wife legally dead before they get married. Somehow I am sure Sandy will eventually come back into the story.

I enjoyed this one, the action is full on , leaving me feeling like I just took a roller coaster ride. Well plotted with great story development, the reader feels very involved with the case. These exciting storylines are what keeps this series fresh and interesting. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 5, 2015 |
A fascinating, gripping mystery that keeps you guessing with every chapter. The reader is kept on pins and needles as more and more details are revealed about each of three likely suspects.

I highly recommend Dead Like You to fans of mysteries, especially the British variety.

I won my copy through First Reads. ( )
  Athenable | Jan 10, 2014 |
To Anna-Lisa Lindeblad-Davies
We all make mistakes, all of the time.

Don't imagine for one moment that I'm not watching you...The Metropole Hotel, Brighton. After a heady New Year's Eve ball, a woman is brutally raped as she returns to her room. A week later, another woman is attacked. Both victims' shoes are taken by the offender...Detective Superintendent Roy Grace soon realises that these new cases bear remarkable similarities to an unsolved series of crimes in the city back in 1997. The perpetrator had been dubbed 'Shoe Man' and was believed to have raped five women before murdering his sixth victim and vanishing. Could this be a copycat, or has Shoe Man resurfaced? When more women are assaulted, Grace becomes increasingly certain that they are dealing with the same man. And that by delving back into the past - a time in which we see Grace and his missing wife Sandy still apparently happy together - he may find the key to unlocking the current mystery. Soon Grace and his team will find themselves in a desperate race against the clock to identify and save the life of the new sixth victim...

from Amazon.com

The brutal rapes of two women in Brighton bear remarkable similiarities to an unsolved series of crimes from 1997. Detective Superintendent Roy Grace is forced to delve into his shattered past to find the key to unlocking the current mystery.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,247,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible