A Thousand Sons : All is dust... by Graham…
Recently added byRabain, Richard.Fox, private library, telanus, Radimus, necrowafer, edvind, LeadPsyche

This Warhammer entry, by whom I consider the master writer thus far of the Horus Heresy saga, is epic in plot, characters, and emotion. A basic summary without getting too long winded like so many reviews I see: the Emperor has decreed that any sorcery by his beloved primarchs and their Legions as an abomination. Snap back to the main protagonists of this book, the Thousand Sons Legion and their primarch Magnus, who basically were created out of the ashes of Chaos infected genes, and rely on some unholy sorceristic methods of fighting, and the reader then sees the beginnings of some tremendous conflict between the Emperor and Magnus. On top of this, as a tie in to the overall saga, Magnus defies the Emperor to warn of upcoming traitorous actions by none other than Horus himself. This sets in motion the Emperor's direction of the Space Wolves, led by Leman Russ, to extinguish the Thousand Sons on their home world of Prospero. A gathering of very well-developed characters, fast paced plot, and emotionally wrenching details of the final battle make this what I believe to arguably be the best of the twelve Horus Heresy novels I've read to this point. Simply fantastic. ( )
  utbw42 | Feb 21, 2014 |
After being given the Thousand sons Legion to lead Magnus the Red, one of the mighty Primarchs of Terran Empire and also one whose abilities with warp manipulation are second only to those of Emperor, faces a very difficult choice - whether to keep his Legion and heal them from weird mutations or leave them to be consumed by mysterious disease. And is he ready to pay the price?

Story of Magnus the Red is basically story of his entire Legion - they are fierce warriors, but also they are scholars and are always ready to explore further and learn ever more. But although they fight with their Space Marine brethren they are secretly despised and marked as witches and warlocks. This does not put them down and they keep tight to their rituals and procedures - getting ever closer and closer to the edge - they do the right things but are always misinterpreted only because they are (and believe me they are) different. Finally after being cunningly manipulated by the foes among their ranks they are ordered to drop all their exploration of Warp by the Emperor himself ... or else ....

Soon events take shape of full-blown tragedy as Thousand Sons' soon find their world hammered down by the Legion that is completely opposite to the Thousand Sons' approach to life and war - Space Wolves.

Be warned that this is story told from the perspective of Magnus' Legion. Second book, titled 'Prospero Burns' will most probably clarify some events and explain the roots of antagonism that exists between Space Wolves and Thousand Sons'.

Great read, highly recommended. ( )
  Zare | Jan 6, 2011 |
The latest release in the Horus Heresy series of books from The Black Library, “A Thousand Sons” by Graham McNeill (author of a number of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 novels, including the Ultramarines series and Storm of Iron), gives us a closer look at the Space Marines of the Thousand Sons legion and its founding father and primarch, Magnus the Red.

We follow the legion on its crusade to reunite the Imperium of Man with her lost colonies and partake in some of the events that will define the role of the Thousand Sons in the Heresy.
After uncovering an ancient secret hidden beneath a great mountain made by aliens at the primitive planet of Aghoru the Thousand Sons join the Space Wolf legion and the Word Bearers in the assault on the fiercly independent world known by Imperials as “Shrike” due to the giant birds indigenous to the planet. There animosity ignites between the Sons and the Space Wolves, setting of a chain of events that will ultimately decide the role and fate of the Thousand Sons in the coming Heresy.

Having read some of Graham McNeill's previous work for The Black Library I picked up this book expecting more of the well written action, intrigue and suspense that got me hooked on the Ultramarines series, Storm of Iron and his previous Horus Heresy novels, and I must say, I was not disappointed!
Although the Space Marines and mortals in “A Thousand Sons” initially comes off as rather stereotypical (the extremely beautiful but non-sexual female remembrancer, the wise and patient Librarian and the hot-blooded and arrogant Space Marine Commander are all good examples), McNeill still manages to make them interesting and likeable, and even gives us a glimpse into the mind of Magnus the Red himself, portraying a primarch from a first hand perspective (something I believe few if any authors have dared try before).

The story itself is well paced and engaging, and I found it very hard to put the book down, always aching to find out what happens next and I rarely found it too predictable (well, as far as details go at least, most readers will be quite aware of how the over-arching story of the Heresy ends). While not as action-filled as might be expected from a novel about Space Marines, it more than makes up for it in intrigue and drama, and the tragedy of the Sons inevitable fate as the Imperium unravels and turns upon itself is quite simply gripping and what really makes this book shine.

Summary:

An almost essential read for fans of the Warhammer 40,000 setting. While the characters are not the most original or fleshed out, the drama and intrigue as well as the exploration of one of the Heresy's most iconic legions are more than enough to keep the reader hooked.
Mr. McNeill again proves that he really knows how to tell a balanced and intriguing story!

9 out of 10 ( )
1 vote LostRobot | Jun 24, 2010 |
All is dust...

Ill-fated Magnus, foreseeing the betrayal of Warmaster Horus, warns the Emperor, but does not reveal that he has also seen something that will change the fate of his fallen Legion forever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,401,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible