Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth…

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Seth Grahame-Smith

Member:murphdogg0206
Title:Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Authors:Seth Grahame-Smith
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (2010)

English (260)  Italian (1)  All (261)
Meh. Marginally interesting, long-winded, and vaguely irreverent. ( )
  J.Green | Nov 22, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book! I liked how it combined my two favorite genres: history and fantasy, and made a story out of it. I liked how Abraham Lincoln was brought back as a vampire at the end after his assassination. I liked how he was eventually able to see the effects his Emancipation Proclamation had. He got to see Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech. ( )
  almoskwa92 | Nov 4, 2016 |
This novel takes the historical figure of Abraham Licoln and transposes it into a fantastic crossover romp of vampires vs humans in an American civil war background. Good plot, we get a mix of first-person diary entries and third-person narrative. Abraham Lincoln's diary entries gives good characterisation whilst the third person narrative ties his character to the plot. The plot is given realism points by the addition of fake 1860s photographs of characters and vampires in America. Unfortunately, these pictures do not work for me because they distract from reading and the reading pace is less flowy as a result.

Overall, it is a good book nonetheless, worth reading for the amusement value and the entertainment but not one I'm likely to keep over time - I'll pass it on on BookMooch for others to read. ( )
  soniaandree | Oct 30, 2016 |
I love to read and rarely do I rate a book 3 stars or less. If the story can keep my attention, then I'm typically a 4 or 5 star rater. This book was a lack luster. Interesting but very dry. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
a very interesting book and was a good movie to. ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
Despite the bluntness with which it works vampires into the American fabric, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a fun read... As a secret history... it rests on a good idea, and stays true to its own internal logic and to the world it builds for itself.
added by Shortride | editPopMatters, Andrew Gilstrap (Mar 25, 2010)

Grahame-Smith's sophomore effort outlasts the kitsch value of its title, and freed from the constraints of updating (or defacing, depending on one's viewpoint) a revered literary gem, the writer delivers a well-constructed, surprisingly satisfying narrative that straight-faces its absurd premise: that Honest Abe, the 16th president of the United States, led a secret life slaying the fanged undead.

I'll have to admit, I sort of had a love-hate relationship with this book.

Seth Grahame-Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holst, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
--Edgar Allan Poe
For Erin and Joshua
Facts: For over 250 years, between 1607 and 1865, vampires thrived in the shadows of America.

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside.

"My baby boy..." she whispers before dying. Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire. Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, young Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln. Now, using the journal as a guide Seth reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president. For the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War--and uncovers the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,780,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible