Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth…

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Seth Grahame-Smith

Member:murphdogg0206
Title:Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Authors:Seth Grahame-Smith
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (2010)

English (254)  Italian (1)  All languages (255)
Excellent. I really enjoy this writer. Can hardly wait for his next book. ( )
  jodiesohl | Jun 25, 2016 |
What did I learn from this book? Well, I learned that Abraham Lincoln was a bad-ass.
I also learned that Grahame-Smith is particularly good at keeping me interested in things I otherwise wouldn't care too much about (sorry Abe). ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
The literary equivalent of fairy floss; enjoyable if somewhat unsatisfying. ( )
  Fergster73 | Jun 21, 2016 |
Nice book. It is written like a biography, which isn't a bad thing but a tad different than I'm used to. The blending of fact and fiction was done fairly well I thought and resulted in a fun tale :) I would recommend it. Now I need to see the movie :) ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
I thought it would be goofy, campy. But it wasn't silly at all. I really enjoyed it. ( )
  gahoward67 | Jun 12, 2016 |
Despite the bluntness with which it works vampires into the American fabric, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a fun read... As a secret history... it rests on a good idea, and stays true to its own internal logic and to the world it builds for itself.
added by Shortride | editPopMatters, Andrew Gilstrap (Mar 25, 2010)

Grahame-Smith's sophomore effort outlasts the kitsch value of its title, and freed from the constraints of updating (or defacing, depending on one's viewpoint) a revered literary gem, the writer delivers a well-constructed, surprisingly satisfying narrative that straight-faces its absurd premise: that Honest Abe, the 16th president of the United States, led a secret life slaying the fanged undead.

I'll have to admit, I sort of had a love-hate relationship with this book.

Seth Grahame-Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holst, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
--Edgar Allan Poe
For Erin and Joshua
Facts: For over 250 years, between 1607 and 1865, vampires thrived in the shadows of America.

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside.

"My baby boy..." she whispers before dying. Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire. Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, young Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln. Now, using the journal as a guide Seth reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president. For the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War--and uncovers the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,753,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible