Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth…

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Seth Grahame-Smith

2,8932041,998 (3.58)138
Member:murphdogg0206
Title:Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Authors:Seth Grahame-Smith
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (2010)

English (203)  Italian (1)  All languages (204)
I loved this book. I've read Seth Grahame-Smith's other novel Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and although I did enjoy that novel, this novel had a sense of realism to it because of the subject matter.

It's an alternate world and vampires are part of it (some particularly nasty vampires). Unfortunately for them, they have messed with the wrong guy....Abraham Lincoln our 16th President.

OMG how campy is that premise?!?! I love it.

The author cleverly interwove history with fantasy and although he may have taken liberties with the timing of these events, they allowed the story line to flow.

Capitalizing off of the somber features we know and love of Abe Lincoln, Grahame-Smith provides the reader a 'historical' account of Abe's life and the trials and travails that basically shaped him into the persona we know today. The author portrays Abe as an all too human individual who has been selected to basically save the world from vampires which is done through his political aspirations. This mission shapes his whole life, personally and politically.

But what readers need to know is that THIS IS NOT A HISTORY BOOK! I have read some reviewers complain how events are not historically correct and Abe was portrayed negatively. The beauty of this book was in the blending of reality and the paranormal.

I am looking forward to reading Unholy Nights! ( )
  NancyNo5 | Nov 4, 2014 |
Great premise, horrible execution. ( )
  vnesting | Oct 26, 2014 |
4.0 out of 5 stars Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, April 22, 2012

This review is from: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Kindle Edition)
This book will surprise you. It's not at all what you think, and after reading about it, caught my interest. Pick it up, you won't be sorry. ( )
  VirginiaMckevitt | Sep 19, 2014 |
Overall it was an interesting read. I have always though Lincoln was a fascinating man, from his humble beginnings to his presidency. The one thing I feared though was that the author wouldn't bring the book back full circle and explain some of the things from the beginning of the book. That was the only frustrating part of the book...who were the other 11 people that he could share the book with? Why did Henry pick him? What happened to Lincoln that he wasn't with Henry at the beginning? Lots of questions left open. Other than that, overall a good book. ( )
  pennylane78 | Sep 5, 2014 |
Decent read and much much better than the movie. ( )
  areadingmachine | Aug 19, 2014 |
Despite the bluntness with which it works vampires into the American fabric, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a fun read... As a secret history... it rests on a good idea, and stays true to its own internal logic and to the world it builds for itself.
added by Shortride | editPopMatters, Andrew Gilstrap (Mar 25, 2010)

Grahame-Smith's sophomore effort outlasts the kitsch value of its title, and freed from the constraints of updating (or defacing, depending on one's viewpoint) a revered literary gem, the writer delivers a well-constructed, surprisingly satisfying narrative that straight-faces its absurd premise: that Honest Abe, the 16th president of the United States, led a secret life slaying the fanged undead.

I'll have to admit, I sort of had a love-hate relationship with this book.

Seth Grahame-Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holst, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
--Edgar Allan Poe
For Erin and Joshua
Facts: For over 250 years, between 1607 and 1865, vampires thrived in the shadows of America.

Abraham Lincoln, having realized that his mother's death was caused by a vampire, embarks on a plan of revenge that takes him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible