Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth…

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Seth Grahame-Smith

Member:murphdogg0206
Title:Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Authors:Seth Grahame-Smith
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (2010)

English (246)  Italian (1)  All languages (247)
Pleasant surprise. I really wasn't sure if this was going to be my thing. I'm not a huge fan of history. This was so well written. I could barely put it down. I'm really glad that we picked this for book club. The book is chalk full of interesting characters, even though most only make quick appearances. It's quite the heartbreaking tale. I also really loved all of the illustrations and the ending!! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
When an author writes a book of fiction that you know is fiction other than the historical aspects of the story like: Abraham Lincoln was the 16th President of the United States, there was a Civil War and slavery did exist. Turn Abraham into a vampire hunter because his mother was killed by a vampire because of the debts of his father. As you get deeper into the story you begin to believe the plausibility of the story the author creates. That is the sign of a great piece of fiction when you can believe what you are reading. Even if you have seen the movie you have to read the book there is so much more that they could not squeeze into the film.

yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
A heck of a lot of fun and well done. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
It was interesting and well-written. I especially liked that the author didn't give "Abe" any special powers and allowed him to muddle through the first few kills...

I'd recommend it. ( )
  bhabeck | Mar 6, 2016 |
I like the movie better, but just because I'd rather read more fiction than this type of historical fiction ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Despite the bluntness with which it works vampires into the American fabric, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a fun read... As a secret history... it rests on a good idea, and stays true to its own internal logic and to the world it builds for itself.
added by Shortride | editPopMatters, Andrew Gilstrap (Mar 25, 2010)

Grahame-Smith's sophomore effort outlasts the kitsch value of its title, and freed from the constraints of updating (or defacing, depending on one's viewpoint) a revered literary gem, the writer delivers a well-constructed, surprisingly satisfying narrative that straight-faces its absurd premise: that Honest Abe, the 16th president of the United States, led a secret life slaying the fanged undead.

I'll have to admit, I sort of had a love-hate relationship with this book.

Seth Grahame-Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holst, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
--Edgar Allan Poe
For Erin and Joshua
Facts: For over 250 years, between 1607 and 1865, vampires thrived in the shadows of America.

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside.

"My baby boy..." she whispers before dying. Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire. Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, young Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln. Now, using the journal as a guide Seth reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president. For the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War--and uncovers the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,955,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible