Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth…

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Seth Grahame-Smith

Member:mikedawe1
Title:Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Authors:Seth Grahame-Smith
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (2010)

English (274)  Italian (1)  All languages (275)
I read the first 50 pages and was bored, skimmed through the next 150 pages and was still bored, and then just gave up on the book. I've got better things to read. ( )
  bookhookgeek | Sep 7, 2018 |
A very enjoyable read and pleasant diversion from the heavier books I usually prefer to read. I have to admit my knowledge of Civil War history and the Lincoln Presidency are bare bones (not like historian FrWilliam Nicholas) so this was an interesting novel just as a history refresher.
This book rests on prior acquaintance with Dracula by Stoker and Interview With The Vampire by Rice which are classics of the genre. There are now a million other vampire books which have flooded the market. I picked this up due to vampires and Lincoln being paired which are both separately interesting to me.
I was not expecting the author to spend as much time on the plot as he did and it was worth reading carefully to the end.
The book is organized as mysterious stranger 'Henry' leaving the original journals of Lincoln and his time as a Vampire hunter and as President to Seth, the author. The author then reads them as a way to avoid the Obama-Hillary primary race. The author gives the impression that Obama was divinely ordained to win after what he has read in said journals. This is pure fiction. ( )
  sacredheart25 | Jul 22, 2018 |
Some men are just too interesting to kill...

Lincoln's biography is interesting enough that it hardly needs vampires to hold one's attention - similarly, the events that conspired after Lincoln's death are arresting. This alternate history biography retains all the facts of Lincoln's life, with the new addition of vampires and the true reason slavery was so rampant in the United States.

I picked this book up due to my interest in the movie and assumed that both would prove 'so bad they're good.' I was pleasantly - and wholly unexpectedly - surprised. This book was not only enjoyable as a horror/scifi piece, but also as a historical piece. While the photoshopped pictures were enough to make me giggle, the book overall was just plain good.

As a fan of Nightwatch, I eagerly anticipate the film and it living up to my newly heightened expectations. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
My boss gave me this for my birthday. I'm curious about the genre, but skeptical about how much I'll like it. Should be interesting. ( )
  Shansky | May 19, 2018 |
This book was so good. It exceeded my expectations and even caused me to do some research into some of the things Lincoln said. It was eye opening, which is surprising for a Vampire Hunter book. I cannot wait for the second one to come in from overdrive. If you ever have doubts about reading this. Don't. I promise you'll love it. ( )
  AmandaLD | Apr 18, 2018 |
Despite the bluntness with which it works vampires into the American fabric, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a fun read... As a secret history... it rests on a good idea, and stays true to its own internal logic and to the world it builds for itself.
added by Shortride | editPopMatters, Andrew Gilstrap (Mar 25, 2010)

Grahame-Smith's sophomore effort outlasts the kitsch value of its title, and freed from the constraints of updating (or defacing, depending on one's viewpoint) a revered literary gem, the writer delivers a well-constructed, surprisingly satisfying narrative that straight-faces its absurd premise: that Honest Abe, the 16th president of the United States, led a secret life slaying the fanged undead.

I'll have to admit, I sort of had a love-hate relationship with this book.

Seth Grahame-Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holst, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
--Edgar Allan Poe
For Erin and Joshua
Facts: For over 250 years, between 1607 and 1865, vampires thrived in the shadows of America.

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside.

"My baby boy..." she whispers before dying. Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire. Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, young Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln. Now, using the journal as a guide Seth reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president. For the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War--and uncovers the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,595,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible