Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth…

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Seth Grahame-Smith

2,675None2,211 (3.59)132
Member:Stockel
Title:Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Authors:Seth Grahame-Smith
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Civil war, presidents, history

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (2010)

Recently added bywakkobr, apsing01, cdmetruk, ACNoviSad, gcopezreaves, private library, dcpoc1985, sororicida, m32446
19th century (12) 2010 (25) 2012 (26) Abraham Lincoln (82) alternate history (69) audio (11) audiobook (24) Civil War (69) ebook (29) fantasy (94) fiction (208) goodreads (13) historical (15) historical fantasy (13) historical fiction (106) history (37) horror (122) humor (47) Kindle (33) Lincoln (25) novel (16) own (12) paranormal (21) read (22) read in 2010 (17) read in 2012 (17) slavery (15) supernatural (29) to-read (75) vampires (265)

English (196)  Italian (1)  All languages (197)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a surprisingly solid work of fiction. It manages to perfectly blend fantasy and fact to create an almost new fantasy-based genre of historical fiction. Abraham Lincoln's secret history of vampire hunting sounds like it's too absurd to take seriously, and I came into the story expecting it to be a total laugh, but Grahame-Smith does an amazing job weaving Lincoln's vampire-hunting exploits into true facts about the president's amazing life.

Lincoln himself is portrayed fully, and the cast of characters, both fictional and real, mix beautifully. I found Mary Todd Lincoln just as exciting and engaging as Henry Sturges, and the mythology created is mysterious and fun. I loved reading about the secret history of vampires in the American colonies, and somehow amongst all of that, hearing about Lincoln growing up in the woods and courting women were just as entertaining to read.

Grahame-Smith tells the story (and manages to make it convincing, in my opinion) by weaving in narrative with fabricated journal entries from Lincoln's secret vampire-hunting journal. Most of the book reads a lot like a transcript for a historical documentary, though there is plenty of action. This comes together nearly flawlessly in the end to create a very compelling, surprisingly emotional and touching story. ( )
  vombatiformes | Mar 25, 2014 |
Originally Posted at Novel Reveries

I absolutely loved it! It was very different from the movie, but that made it all the more interesting. I've always loved history and this book combines fascinating history with fiction. The author did a great job both masking and coinciding facts with fiction. I'm going to have to find a biography of Abraham Lincoln now to really sort out the facts from the non-obvious fiction, but the story was well told and kept me wanting to read more. Just when you think you know the ending, it jumps up and shocks you. I definitely recommend this book to history buffs that want a bit of whimsy. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Originally Posted at Novel Reveries

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
2.5 out 5 stars

I’ve gone back and forth with whether or not to read this book since it was first published in 2010. So, when it was offered as a $4.95 download in an Audible audio book sale, I decided to give it a try.

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter is a solid blend of history and fantasy. Seth Grahame-Smith interweaved the two so well that it is hard to tell what is real history and what is from his imagine (well, vampire hunting aside, that is). As a history buff, I always love when historical figures make cameo appearances in books that I read. In this book, I particularly liked when Edgar Allen Poe made an appearance.

The book is very detailed at times which can lead to either tediousness or to a fuller reading experience. I actually enjoyed the details that Grahame-Smith poured into the story. He drew me into the story and the history of the period so that I found myself more than once googling names and places to understand even further.

I will admit that I was disappointed with the storyline as it pertained to John Wilkes-Booth and even a little to the vampiric underlying causes of the Civil War. But, this aside, I did enjoy the book and am glad I finally read/listened to it. It wasn’t great but would recommend it to anyone that enjoys a little alternate history and/or vampires. ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
I read “Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter” by Seth Grahame-Smith at the request of my friend. I didn’t want to read it because I’m really not into the vampire-zombie-supernatural plots. I was intrigued by the book which blended real history with bloody supernatural beings. I am adrift in explaining my feelings about this book, so bear with me. I was very interested in the beginning of the book which detailed Lincoln’s family life in Virginia, Kentucky and Indiana, mainly because I know where these areas are and have visited the Lincoln homestead area in Indiana. I read the historical parts of the book with interest. However, the notion that Abraham Lincoln started killing vampires when a young man was a totally off-the-wall thing to read. I think there may be some symbolism that I am missing here. I know that Lincoln (as a vampire killer) became aware that vampires were trying to take over the United States and were in the form of some very famous and influential political figures of the time. Also noted in the book was the fact that slavery provided slaveholders (who were also vampires) a source of blood for their sustenance. I think I may be very dense because I truly was not into the story line of this book at all and couldn’t even think how to relate these events to the truth, even by symbolism. I much preferred Bill O’Reilly’s “Killing Lincoln” as a tale of this time period. If you are into the supernatural and don’t mind a lot of blood and gore, you may like this book. Personally, I am going to return this book to my friend and say “thank you”, but I will withhold giving a great review. ( )
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
Despite the bluntness with which it works vampires into the American fabric, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a fun read... As a secret history... it rests on a good idea, and stays true to its own internal logic and to the world it builds for itself.
added by Shortride | editPopMatters, Andrew Gilstrap (Mar 25, 2010)

Grahame-Smith's sophomore effort outlasts the kitsch value of its title, and freed from the constraints of updating (or defacing, depending on one's viewpoint) a revered literary gem, the writer delivers a well-constructed, surprisingly satisfying narrative that straight-faces its absurd premise: that Honest Abe, the 16th president of the United States, led a secret life slaying the fanged undead.

I'll have to admit, I sort of had a love-hate relationship with this book.

Seth Grahame-Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holst, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
--Edgar Allan Poe
For Erin and Joshua
Facts: For over 250 years, between 1607 and 1865, vampires thrived in the shadows of America.

Abraham Lincoln, having realized that his mother's death was caused by a vampire, embarks on a plan of revenge that takes him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,488,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible