Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth…

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Seth Grahame-Smith

Member:JeffV
Title:Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Authors:Seth Grahame-Smith
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, Gothic

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (2010)

English (239)  Italian (1)  All languages (240)
Summary: This book follows the life of Abe Lincoln based on "twisted" events that actually happened. Abe's mother died when he was boy from drinking milk from a cow that ate something it shouldn't have, the book describes his mother being bit by a vampire and Abe and changing his life to get revenge for his mother's life. His dedication brings him through starting from nothing and proving himself as an important figure in American history as the President who freed the slaves and destroying the vampires who were slave owners from the south, changing the tide of the Civil War.
His strength, devotion, and size made him stand out as President and his secret life as a man of the people who protected them behind the scenes from the horrors of the night. Twists and surprises make this book make you think as you are learning about historical events and being drawn in as Abe defeats evil and makes what he thinks is right in the eyes of his deceased/murdered mother and child while drastically changing a nation for the better.

Reflection: Liked the book a lot, can't wait to watch the movie with my students ( )
  Starbeck | Feb 8, 2016 |
Less than half way through and I've picked up and read another book and started another. Does not bode well for this! It's kind of boring. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Fun stuff. It had a nice mix of history and fiction that blended well. I was looking forward to the movie until I heard Tim Burton was involved. I hope he doesn't screw up the story. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
This was an engaging light read in between book club selections. I had no idea the extent of the stories that have been retold to incorporate some version of the living dead. I may try another, but can't hardly believe they would all have praisable qualities. I did something unusual (for me) and went back and read chapter 1 again as soon as I finished the book, which was very helpful. Must be getting old I guess. I am assuming that all of the historical fact in the book is just that, and am therefore impressed that such an imaginative alternate reality could be laid across those facts so cleverly, and melded so neatly, at least for the reader who was open, and looking to be entertained, not question. It wasn't a page turner for me, I could easily put it down, but it was pleasant and fun to entertain the possibility that there is more to the world than we know. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
I thought this was a great read. Seth did a great job setting up the story with historical facts weaving in fictional bits. It had enough horror and conflict to keep me intrigued, without taking away from the image that I had of our 16th president. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
Despite the bluntness with which it works vampires into the American fabric, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a fun read... As a secret history... it rests on a good idea, and stays true to its own internal logic and to the world it builds for itself.
added by Shortride | editPopMatters, Andrew Gilstrap (Mar 25, 2010)

Grahame-Smith's sophomore effort outlasts the kitsch value of its title, and freed from the constraints of updating (or defacing, depending on one's viewpoint) a revered literary gem, the writer delivers a well-constructed, surprisingly satisfying narrative that straight-faces its absurd premise: that Honest Abe, the 16th president of the United States, led a secret life slaying the fanged undead.

I'll have to admit, I sort of had a love-hate relationship with this book.

Seth Grahame-Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holst, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
--Edgar Allan Poe
For Erin and Joshua
Facts: For over 250 years, between 1607 and 1865, vampires thrived in the shadows of America.

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside.

"My baby boy..." she whispers before dying. Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire. Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, young Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln. Now, using the journal as a guide Seth reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president. For the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War--and uncovers the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,264,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible