By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead…

By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead (edition 2010)

by Julie Anne Peters

Member:realbigcat
Title:By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead
Authors:Julie Anne Peters
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2010), Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction

By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters

Daelyn has been bullied all her life about her weight. Unable to fight for herself, the years of abuse have taken their toll and she seriously plans her suicide with the help of a website. But as she begins her 23-day countdown to Day of Determination, a boy named Santana begins sitting with her as she waits for her after-school ride home and persistently worms his way into her head. This is a raw novel about suicide that pulls no punches about the different ways to do it or about Daelyn's strong feelings of killing herself. I would be very careful of who I recommend this to. But it is a powerful book about bullying and suicide and with the right guidance of a teacher, book discussion leader or bibliotherapist it can be a book that changes attitudes if not lives. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
"By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead" is a powerful, touching story of fifteen year-old Daelyn who, after years of bullying, has decided to end her life. The book counts down her last 23 days to her Date of Determination. I really liked Daelyn, she is broken and hurting, and I just wanted to hug her to show that someone does care. I also However, mynfavourite character is Santana, the boy who meets daily with Daelyn and battles his own personal demons.

Whilst I didn't like the clinical descriptions about the various ways someone can take their own life that are scattered throughout the book, I also found it a difficult book to put down. It horrifies me that many of our young people are made to feel so desperate and worthless that they believe that their only escape is to take their own lives. This is a disturbing, hard-hitting story highlighting the frightening effects of bullying and abuse, but it is also a gripping read which hopefully will make people realise the importance of treating others with kindness and respect.
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |

HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
A raw book about a powerful topic that would be good for adults to read and discuss with the teens in their lives. ( )
  saillergirl | Jan 18, 2016 |
To be quite honest, I hated this book. What Daelyn goes through is shitty but I mean it's just like almost every other YA novel that deals with depression, bullying, and suicide. Young girl hates herself, wants to die, one day she meets a boy that changes everything, blah blah blah, the end. The ending was particularly horrible. One second Daelyn is in her suicidal state and then the next page she's found her lust for life and the book ends. Literally. The ending was rushed to say the least. It was as if the author had lost whatever meaning she thought she had and just gave up. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Dec 28, 2014 |
To C.J. Bott for her tireless campaign against bullying
The white boy, the skinny, tall boy with shocking white hair, sneaks behind the stone bench and leans against the tree trunk.

High school student Daelyn Rice, who has been bullied throughout her school career and has more than once attempted suicide, again makes plans to kill herself, in spite of the persistent attempts of an unusual boy to draw her out.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,258,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible