By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead…

By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead (edition 2010)

by Julie Anne Peters

Member:realbigcat
Title:By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead
Authors:Julie Anne Peters
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2010), Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction

By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters

"Are you ready to pass Through-The-Light?"

Daelyn is at the hard age of 15 and has thought about ending her life, a lot. In her most recent suicide attempt, she injured her throat, causing her to have to wear a brace. It hurts to talk and eat, so she is mainly thought of an outcast. She's used to it though. In her younger years, she was bigger, and got bullied constantly for it. Her parents made her go to a "fat camp" to lose weight, and she came back a new person, in both appearance, and personality. With a history of sexual abuse, cutting, bulling, cyber bulling, and shaming, it's no question why she hurts so much. She joins Through-The-Light, a suicide forum, helping people reach the end. She's ready for the worst, or at least she thought. She then meets Santana, a boy who's fighting a special type of cancer. She questions if he's just another pervert who is going to hurt her, or if he's for real. When he finds out about her scars and suicide attempts, he comforts her, never getting angry, unlike her mother.

It was a very enjoyable book, though sad at times, was very touching. I could connect with Daelyn and her struggles. I could not put the book down, and the ending left me wanting more, but still satisfied. It ended on a very open note, not knowing if she succeed or not. It's a better book the first time around, but is still a good reread. ( )
1 vote | Mar 7, 2014 | edit |
I hate how this story has no power over me anymore. A year ago, I would've been swept away by it, but now it just completely fails to move me. ( )
  potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
This book was wonderful and horrible at the same time. It was horrifying to read the bullying that the main character described as she counted down to the day she planned to end her life, but it was also very introspective--for the character, as well as the reader. She describes the assaults and the "teasing" and "taunting" that she had gone through her entire life, but I think that by describing it and writing it out, she managed to also deal with it--or at least start to, because by the end of the book, she seemed more hopeful.

It ends in a very open-ended way, so you don't know if Daelyn went through with the suicide or not. I guess that however you interpret it ends up saying more about you than it does about the book. In a way, I think that the book may encourage the reader to deal with past traumas, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is easily triggered. This book should have a big old "trigger warning" on the cover because it deals with a lot of touchy subjects. ( )
  janersm | Jan 4, 2014 |
A very emotional book - so much so that I'm not able to write a coherent review at this time. Beautifully written, and Daelyn is just spot on for the whole book. I can identify with her so much when I was that age. ( )
  schatzi | Dec 7, 2013 |
I found this a difficult book to categorize. It is essentially a novel that chronicles the systematic suicidal thought processes of a young girl who is bullied at school and is determined to kill herself. Dark stuff, indeed. And while this is riding the current wave of bullying attention, it is also a look into the metal dysfunction of suicidal youths who refuse to see an alternate way out of the misery. It is in many ways too descriptive to be classified as "YA" and yet the author is known for YA and children's books. It works more as a warning to parents to be more attentive to problems with their youth. While certainly not a beach novel, it is an easy read and a good introduction into the psyche of troubled children. ( )
  mldavis2 | Sep 19, 2013 |
To C.J. Bott for her tireless campaign against bullying
The white boy, the skinny, tall boy with shocking white hair, sneaks behind the stone bench and leans against the tree trunk.

High school student Daelyn Rice, who has been bullied throughout her school career and has more than once attempted suicide, again makes plans to kill herself, in spite of the persistent attempts of an unusual boy to draw her out.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,479,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible