By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead…

By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead (edition 2010)

by Julie Anne Peters

Member:realbigcat
Title:By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead
Authors:Julie Anne Peters
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2010), Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction

By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters

Daelyn has been bullied all her life about her weight. Unable to fight for herself, the years of abuse have taken their toll and she seriously plans her suicide with the help of a website. But as she begins her 23-day countdown to Day of Determination, a boy named Santana begins sitting with her as she waits for her after-school ride home and persistently worms his way into her head. This is a raw novel about suicide that pulls no punches about the different ways to do it or about Daelyn's strong feelings of killing herself. I would be very careful of who I recommend this to. But it is a powerful book about bullying and suicide and with the right guidance of a teacher, book discussion leader or bibliotherapist it can be a book that changes attitudes if not lives. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
"By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead" is a powerful, touching story of fifteen year-old Daelyn who, after years of bullying, has decided to end her life. The book counts down her last 23 days to her Date of Determination. I really liked Daelyn, she is broken and hurting, and I just wanted to hug her to show that someone does care. I also However, mynfavourite character is Santana, the boy who meets daily with Daelyn and battles his own personal demons.

Whilst I didn't like the clinical descriptions about the various ways someone can take their own life that are scattered throughout the book, I also found it a difficult book to put down. It horrifies me that many of our young people are made to feel so desperate and worthless that they believe that their only escape is to take their own lives. This is a disturbing, hard-hitting story highlighting the frightening effects of bullying and abuse, but it is also a gripping read which hopefully will make people realise the importance of treating others with kindness and respect. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
A raw book about a powerful topic that would be good for adults to read and discuss with the teens in their lives. ( )
  saillergirl | Jan 18, 2016 |
To be quite honest, I hated this book. What Daelyn goes through is shitty but I mean it's just like almost every other YA novel that deals with depression, bullying, and suicide. Young girl hates herself, wants to die, one day she meets a boy that changes everything, blah blah blah, the end. The ending was particularly horrible. One second Daelyn is in her suicidal state and then the next page she's found her lust for life and the book ends. Literally. The ending was rushed to say the least. It was as if the author had lost whatever meaning she thought she had and just gave up. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Dec 28, 2014 |
After reading Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, I was recommended this book. They both deal with suicide and depression, so I got it and read it.

Even though I didn't love Thirteen Reasons Why, I still remember the book and how I felt reading it. On the other hand, after I finished, "By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead." I didn't feel anything. Not anger, not sadness, not joy. Just meh.

No that's not true. After I read the ending, I thought, "That's it?"

The ending was left open-ended, leaving it up to the reader to decide what happens to Daelyn. I don't mind this, I watch a lot of Asian dramas and some of the books and they love their open ended stories. So I'm fine with this kind of ending. In fact, sometimes it can evoke different feelings out of you, depending on your mood and mindset.

But for some reason, I didn't like the open-endedness of this novel. In the book, Daelyn wants to commit suicide, she's had enough of life and can't wait till she kills herself. She's attempted to do this a few times, but each time she fails.

Daelyn doesn't want to fail again, so she joins an online community that promotes suicides. The site provides different ways you can kill yourself as well as tips for the big day. The only condition is that you have to wait for 23 days before you kill yourself.

The site is disgusting and I didn't like hearing about it, because of the seriousness of the matter, but at the same time it was interesting. It does scare me that there are probably sites like this out there.

In any case, Daelyn joins and the 23 days commence. During this time she meets a boy named Santana who doesn't leave her alone. Daelyn can't talk, but he can't stop talking. Later in the book you find out that Santana is dying, which does add a nice contrast to Daelyn's life. Daelyn wants to die because she's sick of life, but Satana is dying, but wants to live longer. I don't know why he wasted so much time with her (at least at first), but it does make some sense later on in the novel.

The more Daelyn hangs out with Santana, the more she wants to live...except she doesn't. I never felt like she was willing to change her plans because of Santana. Did she like him, yea. But was she going to let that stop her? I don't think so.

Which is why the ending didn't sit well with me. I don't think it was written in a way that provided two options of Daelyn. Not only is her mind set on killing herself, but she doesn't want to change. She doesn't. And I'm not knocking her feelings and characterization. I'm not. But in order for the ending to work, Daelyn needed to have some self reflection and inner turmoil about suicide, especially after meeting Santana.

Instead, she wants to kill herself for 95% of the book, then near the end she struggles a bit, then goes back to how she was before.

I dunno, it just didn't work for me. ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
To C.J. Bott for her tireless campaign against bullying
The white boy, the skinny, tall boy with shocking white hair, sneaks behind the stone bench and leans against the tree trunk.

High school student Daelyn Rice, who has been bullied throughout her school career and has more than once attempted suicide, again makes plans to kill herself, in spite of the persistent attempts of an unusual boy to draw her out.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,473,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible