Siege of Khartoum (Simon Fonthill Series) by…

Siege of Khartoum (Simon Fonthill Series)

by John Wilcox

John Wilcox does not disappoint. Here in the sixth adventure of Simon Fonthill and Jenkins 352. I read another series recently by a different writer in our Victorian military fiction genre. It is night and day in comparison.

Wilcox has pacing and drama down well. He understands the era, as well as the campaigns that the military is involved in. We meet the true historical personalities in a way that makes sense. And we see where there are fools as well.

Perhaps the restraint in which we deal with the idiots who are obstacles in the British forces could be handled better. Let Jenkins do what he does well, (Kill the blighters) but then Fonthill shows a governing hand to stop that, and the criminally foolish which we know the British army was riddled with, do he theirs often enough.

And we need such foils to add to the drama.

We learn a good deal of history about the Mahdi and Gordon of Khartoum as well. The adventure is first rate and the character development continues. This is a series that should you like the latter part of the Victorian Era and Queen Victoria's Little Wars (as Farwell put it) then this is a great series to get and read. Recommend and up for a second read as well. ( )
  DWWilkin | Sep 18, 2012 |

The eyes of the world are on the fate of General Gordon and the English-held Khartoum as it comes under siege, in this latest novel in the thrilling Fonthill series.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,501,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible