Heat Wave by Richard Castle

Heat Wave (2009)

by Richard Castle

Naked Heat by Richard Castle (EthanS1)
    EthanS1: Tie ins to the popular TV show Castle, the mystery novels written by "Richard Castle"

3.5 stars

If you're a fan of the TV show Castle, this is a ton of fun. This is the first of the books "written" by the titular character on the show, who's played by Nathan Filion. The story follows Detective Nikki Heat (Kate Beckett, played by Stana Katic on the show) as she investigates a murder, "assisted" by reporter Jamison Rook (the pseudonym for Richard Castle) and her colleagues. Follow all that? This is about as meta as it can get.

Note: You won't be reading it for the in-depth characterizations or complex plots. You'll be reading it because you like the humor of the show and the relationship between the leads. So the next time you're on an airplane, or on a beach, or need something light to read, pick this one up. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jan 21, 2015 |
This is a tie in novel for the tv series Castle. The tv show, if you have not seen it, is about a popular mystery writer who shadows a NYPD detective to research a new book he is writing. When the second season starts, his book Heat Wave is released, and this is the same book. The book follows a journalist, Jameson Rook who is shadowing NYPD detective Nikki Heat for background on a story he is writing. Fans of the show will see many similarities between Rook and Heat, and Castle and Beckett. If you watch the show, you will recognize different bits of the novel's case as pulled from some of the tv show's cases, as you might expect. It also reads a bit like a self insertion piece, where Castle basically writes himself in as Rook, and lets him live out his (Castle's) fantasies a bit. Not that I'll fault him for it, since fans of the series who ship Beckett and Castle pretty much thought similar ideas. Its not a long book, and is an easy read. It has all the banter and some of the tension found in the tv series. It makes a nice way to fill the summer gap while waiting for the series to return. If you like the tv show, you should like this.
  sawcat | Jan 10, 2015 |
Niente male dai... :-) ( )
  Iacopo.Venni | Nov 14, 2014 |
Entertaining fluff, like the TV series much better ( )
  moekane | Nov 10, 2014 |
I found this as a downloadable audio book at the library. I like the show "Castle" mostly because of Nathan Fillion. He was great as Cap'n Mal in Firefly & I even liked him in "Slither". In "Castle" Fillion plays [a:Richard Castle|1953433|Richard Castle|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1326003545p2/1953433.jpg], a best selling author who has made millions with his Derrick Storm novels. He wants to write a new series & asks his buddy, the Mayor, if he couldn't work with one of the best female detectives, Kate Beckett. He does & bases his new series & character on Kate, thus is born Nikki Heat.

I don't know what I expected when I found this. I did a brief Google search to find out who the ghost writer was & ran across a couple of items that said it was a big secret. I don't know why. After listening to a bit, I realized that it must be the script writers. This is an episode of Castle, just the names have been changed.

Castle = Rook a magazine writer instead of novelist, but he got his gig with the police the same way. Same personality.

Kate = Nikki, no change & so on.

So far, no daughter, but there is Rook's mother. She's a successful actress with multiple Tony awards.

Even the case they're working on has a lot of similarities to one of Castle's. A man beaten with a fist that has a ring on it. I recognized other situations from the show. I'm not sure if they're all the same episode - probably not - but they run together in my memory, anyway. There is a sex scene, but nothing terrible, just a bit long.

IOW, if you like watching "Castle" & think you might like reading one or listening to it, this is for you. It's not bad, although the reader didn't do a lot for me. I won't be getting another any time soon. One was fun, two would be pushing it, though. I will look for a Derrick Storm novel, though. That will be fun. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
To the extraordinary KB and all my friends at the 12th
It was always the same for her when she arrived to meet the body.
Nikki paid attention to nags because they were the voices God gave to clues.

Tough and sexy New York police detective Nikki Heat leads the investigation into the death of a New York real estate tycoon who plunged to his death on a Manhattan sidewalk. She's hit with an unexpected challenge when the commissioner assigns superstar magazine journalist Jameson Rook to ride along with her to research an article on New York's Finest.… (more)

Hyperion and Voice

2 editions of this book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 1401323820, 1401310400

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,145,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible