Heat Wave by Richard Castle

Heat Wave (2009)

by Richard Castle

Naked Heat by Richard Castle (EthanS1)
    EthanS1: Tie ins to the popular TV show Castle, the mystery novels written by "Richard Castle"

I haven't watched the TV show. This book was a gift from a secret santa who was fulfilling my request to get books with a hint of vigilante justice and a noir flavor.

Perhaps this story is a bit lighter than my usual fare, and the main character not really a vigilante. But I liked the story quite a bit. It was well paced, had a reasonable mystery, and an interesting main character(s). It was a nice, quick, summer read.

I will pick up the next in the series, maybe the whole series, who knows... they are fun to read on the beach. I might even watch the TV show too. ( )
  crazybatcow | Jul 3, 2014 |
When a man falls to his death on a New York street, homicide detective Nikki Heat leads the investigation to find out who pushed him. In addition to her usual team of detectives Raley and Ochoa (familiarly known as “Roach”), Heat is assisted by journalist Jameson Rook, who is shadowing her for an article he's writing. The novel works well enough as a police procedural. It works even better as metafiction tied to the TV series Castle. Having seen most of the TV episodes multiple times, I recognized lines of dialogue from the TV series. It gives viewer-readers the impression of Castle incorporating “real life” conversations into his fiction. Having followed the progress of the book series on the TV show (launches, book signings, author appearances, etc.), I was eager to finally read the book. I listened to the audio version read by Johnny Heller. Some listeners have commented that Heller sounds like Nathan Fillion, the actor who isn't a writer (or is he?), but who plays one on TV. I didn't hear the similarity myself. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jun 17, 2014 |
I loved reading this book! That being said, if you are not (as I am) a HUGE Castle fan, it may not be for you. This book is so much fun if you think about Castle actually writing it. You can see what parts of his adventures with Beckett inspire scenes in the book. I loved seeing things more from Castle's point of view. I laughed pretty hard a few times. The mystery wasn't extremely predictable either, so that's always a plus.

I listened to the Audio version, and thought the narrator did an excellent job on "Rook"'s voice. He sounded exactly like Castle. I actually thought that Nathan Fillion was doing the "Rook" lines at first.

Anyway, I had a blast reading/listening to this book and can't wait to read the rest of them. I think just the fact that ABC published these books is fantastic. I'm rewatching Castle now after reading this. ( )
  Annesanse | May 6, 2014 |
simply put… if you love 'Castle', you'll love this ( )
  max-rush | Mar 30, 2014 |
To the extraordinary KB and all my friends at the 12th
It was always the same for her when she arrived to meet the body.
Nikki paid attention to nags because they were the voices God gave to clues.

Tough and sexy New York police detective Nikki Heat leads the investigation into the death of a New York real estate tycoon who plunged to his death on a Manhattan sidewalk. She's hit with an unexpected challenge when the commissioner assigns superstar magazine journalist Jameson Rook to ride along with her to research an article on New York's Finest.… (more)

Hyperion and Voice

Two editions of this book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 1401323820, 1401310400

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,658,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible