Heat Wave, Premium Edition (Nikki Heat, Book…

Heat Wave, Premium Edition (Nikki Heat, Book 1) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Richard Castle

Member:ChristinaDye
Title:Heat Wave, Premium Edition (Nikki Heat, Book 1)
Authors:Richard Castle
Info:Hyperion (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:E-books, Read but unowned, Favorites

Heat Wave by Richard Castle (2009)

Naked Heat by Richard Castle (EthanS1)
    EthanS1: Tie ins to the popular TV show Castle, the mystery novels written by "Richard Castle"

I found this as a downloadable audio book at the library. I like the show "Castle" mostly because of Nathan Fillion. He was great as Cap'n Mal in Firefly & I even liked him in "Slither". In "Castle" Fillion plays [a:Richard Castle|1953433|Richard Castle|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1326003545p2/1953433.jpg], a best selling author who has made millions with his Derrick Storm novels. He wants to write a new series & asks his buddy, the Mayor, if he couldn't work with one of the best female detectives, Kate Beckett. He does & bases his new series & character on Kate, thus is born Nikki Heat.

I don't know what I expected when I found this. I did a brief Google search to find out who the ghost writer was & ran across a couple of items that said it was a big secret. I don't know why. After listening to a bit, I realized that it must be the script writers. This is an episode of Castle, just the names have been changed.

Castle = Rook a magazine writer instead of novelist, but he got his gig with the police the same way. Same personality.

Kate = Nikki, no change & so on.

So far, no daughter, but there is Rook's mother. She's a successful actress with multiple Tony awards.

Even the case they're working on has a lot of similarities to one of Castle's. A man beaten with a fist that has a ring on it. I recognized other situations from the show. I'm not sure if they're all the same episode - probably not - but they run together in my memory, anyway. There is a sex scene, but nothing terrible, just a bit long.

IOW, if you like watching "Castle" & think you might like reading one or listening to it, this is for you. It's not bad, although the reader didn't do a lot for me. I won't be getting another any time soon. One was fun, two would be pushing it, though. I will look for a Derrick Storm novel, though. That will be fun. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I haven't watched the TV show. This book was a gift from a secret santa who was fulfilling my request to get books with a hint of vigilante justice and a noir flavor.

Perhaps this story is a bit lighter than my usual fare, and the main character not really a vigilante. But I liked the story quite a bit. It was well paced, had a reasonable mystery, and an interesting main character(s). It was a nice, quick, summer read.

I will pick up the next in the series, maybe the whole series, who knows... they are fun to read on the beach. I might even watch the TV show too. ( )
  crazybatcow | Jul 3, 2014 |
When a man falls to his death on a New York street, homicide detective Nikki Heat leads the investigation to find out who pushed him. In addition to her usual team of detectives Raley and Ochoa (familiarly known as “Roach”), Heat is assisted by journalist Jameson Rook, who is shadowing her for an article he's writing. The novel works well enough as a police procedural. It works even better as metafiction tied to the TV series Castle. Having seen most of the TV episodes multiple times, I recognized lines of dialogue from the TV series. It gives viewer-readers the impression of Castle incorporating “real life” conversations into his fiction. Having followed the progress of the book series on the TV show (launches, book signings, author appearances, etc.), I was eager to finally read the book. I listened to the audio version read by Johnny Heller. Some listeners have commented that Heller sounds like Nathan Fillion, the actor who isn't a writer (or is he?), but who plays one on TV. I didn't hear the similarity myself. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jun 17, 2014 |
I loved reading this book! That being said, if you are not (as I am) a HUGE Castle fan, it may not be for you. This book is so much fun if you think about Castle actually writing it. You can see what parts of his adventures with Beckett inspire scenes in the book. I loved seeing things more from Castle's point of view. I laughed pretty hard a few times. The mystery wasn't extremely predictable either, so that's always a plus.

I listened to the Audio version, and thought the narrator did an excellent job on "Rook"'s voice. He sounded exactly like Castle. I actually thought that Nathan Fillion was doing the "Rook" lines at first.

Anyway, I had a blast reading/listening to this book and can't wait to read the rest of them. I think just the fact that ABC published these books is fantastic. I'm rewatching Castle now after reading this. ( )
  Annesanse | May 6, 2014 |
simply put… if you love 'Castle', you'll love this ( )
  max-rush | Mar 30, 2014 |
To the extraordinary KB and all my friends at the 12th
It was always the same for her when she arrived to meet the body.
Nikki paid attention to nags because they were the voices God gave to clues.

Tough and sexy New York police detective Nikki Heat leads the investigation into the death of a New York real estate tycoon who plunged to his death on a Manhattan sidewalk. She's hit with an unexpected challenge when the commissioner assigns superstar magazine journalist Jameson Rook to ride along with her to research an article on New York's Finest.… (more)

Hyperion and Voice

Two editions of this book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 1401323820, 1401310400

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,467,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible