Obstacles Welcome: How to Turn Adversity…

by Ralph De La Vega

192537,190 (3.5)None
Member:MarkKonyndyk
Title:Obstacles Welcome: How to Turn Adversity into Advantage in Business and in Life
Authors:Ralph De La Vega
Info:Thomas Nelson (2009), Paperback, 274 pages

Obstacles Welcome: How to Turn Adversity into Advantage in Business and in Life by Ralph De La Vega

This is the life story of Ralph de la Vega, who, starting with nothing, built his American Dream with hard working and determination. He tell us how he came to America from Cuba and all his struggle in order to succeed in USA. Ralph teaches us the importance of having strong values. He also says which are the pillars of success. According to him, we should look for opportunities everywhere, as every experience is an opportunity to learn and to shine, but nothing comes without sacrifice. His pyramid of principles (Integrity, Credibility, Teamwork, Attitude, Excellence and Vision) is a set of values that are the base for his work. He also mention that you can learn how to be a leader.

I started reading this book thinking it would be a boring biography, but Ralph did a magnificent job on writing about his personal life and experience coming to USA at the age of 10 from Cuba and escalating all the steps to the top of his career as Chief Executive Officer of AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. This is a very inspirational book showing that the American Dream can be achieved mostly by anyone who propose to work hard and with strong values. It really teaches you who to turn adversity to advantage in business and life.

Read more reviews on my blog http://booksandmoviesreviews.blogspot.com and leave comments!
  rmattos | Jan 23, 2016 |
Obstacles Welcome by Ralph de la Vega is an inspiring and motivational book about how a young refugee came to the United States alone from Cuba. He came to Miami and was taken in by a young married couple, Arnaldo and Ada Baez. Ralph did not see his parents until he had been in Miami for 4 years. He decided as a young boy that being negative was not going to be an option for him. He learned at a young age how to overcome adversity and be successful in his life.

The message in this story is how we can overcome most any obstacles that enter our lives. Obstacles can be opportunities for us to grow in our professional and private lives. Basicly if we want to be successful we need to learn new ways and unlearn things that are creating obstacles in our lives. I think the phrase "think outside of the box" works well for all of us and a good leader has to have a vision and be able to get his people to own that vision so they all can be successful.

I have read a few motivational books and I found that this one was very easy to read and understandable in what Ralph was trying to get across. Communication, enpowerment, maximizing the potential of people around you as a leader is a way for any company and staff to be successful. A leader has to be able to "talk the talk and walk the walk" and take obstacles and turn them into opportunities for improvement.

I liked the graphics that are scattered in the book. These pictures showed the message that Ralph was trying to get across to the reader and the summing up at the end of each chapter as takeaway messages from that chapter. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to make a difference in their personal and professional lives. ( )
  celticlady53 | Jan 24, 2010 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,587,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible